The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #75,481 of 88,598
Thank you for taking the time, highly appreciated! If you only could keep one amp MK or Tsu for the SP3k, which one would you keep? (Price not taken into consideration)
I've honestly had a hard time deciding (that's after having owned both for the last few months), which is why I still have both!

MK475: Has more power (so it can be used to drive some full-size headphones); transients are a little more incisive; soundstage is a little wider; tuning is just a little bit more U-shaped (not a huge amount) -- i.e., the bass hits a bit harder and there's and there's just a little bit more treble; and the dynamics are a little better.

Tsuranagi: The smaller size and integrated battery are huge advantages -- I can actually fit it into the pocket of my sweatpants, strapped to the SP3k, for moving around the house. Raw technical performance is just a little bit behind the 475, but the tuning is just a little more balanced; the mids are a little bit better (vocals have a touch more warmth); the transients are less incisive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because I don't always want razor-sharp transients; there might be just a bit more soundstage depth.

I'm of the impression that most people who've A/Bed them prefer the MK475 due to the technicals. I do think it can depend on genres -- e.g. I typically lean to the 475 for, say, EDM, where I'd want the extra slam and sharp transients, and the Tsuranagi for vocal-heavy music where I'd want slightly more warmth. But we're splitting hairs here, because they both sound fantastic and I could very happily live with either. The differences I'm describing aren't massive.

I'd say it also depends a bit on the IEM. With the Rn6/Xe6, I think I prefer the Tsuranagi because the bass with the MK475 can be a little much. With the Ragnar I prefer the MK475 because the Ragnar has crazy good technicals, & the MK475 does a better job of maxing out those technicals. And the extra bass with the MK475 is very welcome on the Ragnar.

I think I'd pick the Tsuranagi if I could only have one, because the technical performance is 90% as good as the MK475 while providing the size/weight/tuning advantages. But I very much enjoy the 475 for when I want max. technical performance.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #75,482 of 88,598
I can recommend the Amber Radiance as well @CodenameBK201 my best wishes to your dad.

The bass is so incredible …
It's on my short list, for sure. It's more a thing of, if I budget ~2k (which, based on recent experiences, is very much bending over money for me, and certainly optimistic assuming I can even find a secondhand pair), I've still got to figure out cabling. I'm not certain with IEMs that nice I could convince myself to settle for a subpar or even stock cable. That was a major draw of the RN6 for me, them being the only pair of IEMs I've never felt compelled to cable swap on. The MMCX is a mixed bag for me. Aside from one cable I own with conx that's currently in use, I'd probably need to grab another cable from the classifieds. The downside of mmcx is that, save for the increasingly more common conx terminations, it’s not used as often, save for maybe Ier-z1r users, but the upside at least is I've seen more people selling mmcx cables for less simply because not as many IEMs actively use that termination. I dunno. The code 23 is a possibility, although I'm reluctant to pair IEMs that small and light with an overly bulky cable. Sorta defeats the purpose, sonic qualities aside. I also don't love that I tried Eletech's cheaper and more expensive offerings side-by-side at CanJam and pretty much instantly heard the difference. Whether it's psychoacoustics or not, I just know I'd be kicking myself for cheaping out on cabling down the line.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #75,483 of 88,598
Well, I've had a morning here. Stuck in the ER because my dad collapsed in the kitchen this morning (in front of my two-year-old, no less). Spending the latest medical crisis like I have most, which is to say listening to heart rate monitors while shopping for music gear. Still eyeing the Trifecta hard. I was deadset on the golden sunset colorway but apprehensive about importing an American-made set of IEMs from China back to the US just to deal with an international warranty. CFA at the time I asked didn't sell that color directly, but a classifieds listing here seemed to indicate that maybe it's possible to order that color directly? I sent them an email, we'll see. Between a layoff and a short-term job contract, my budget's firmly relegated to a secondhand pair at this point, but hoping I get lucky.

Keeping your father in my prayers! Hope he'll recover well my friend. What we can do may be limited, but please feel free to share if that takes off even a bit of your burden, we are happy to be here for you. Sending lots of love to you and your family, take care!

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #75,484 of 88,598
It's on my short list, for sure. It's more a thing of, if I budget ~2k (which, based on recent experiences, is very much bending over money for me, and certainly optimistic assuming I can even find a secondhand pair), I've still got to figure out cabling. I'm not certain with IEMs that nice I could convince myself to settle for a subpar or even stock cable. That was a major draw of the RN6 for me, them being the only pair of IEMs I've never felt compelled to cable swap on. The MMCX is a mixed bag for me. Aside from one cable I own with conx that's currently in use, I'd probably need to grab another cable from the classifieds. The downside of mmcx is that, save for the increasingly more common conx terminations, it’s not used as often, save for maybe Ier-z1r users, but the upside at least is I've seen more people selling mmcx cables for less simply because not as many IEMs actively use that termination. I dunno. The code 23 is a possibility, although I'm reluctant to pair IEMs that small and light with an overly bulky cable. Sorta defeats the purpose, sonic qualities aside. I also don't love that I tried Eletech's cheaper and more expensive offerings side-by-side at CanJam and pretty much instantly heard the difference. Whether it's psychoacoustics or not, I just know I'd be kicking myself for cheaping out on cabling down the line.
I hear you wrt cables.

I’m at the phase whereby DAPs and IEMs come first. Perhaps end of the phase. When Jeff posted the question about which IEMs would be my 2024 purchase I could not find an answer to that. Perhaps 2024 would be year of cables for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ … I’ll let my ears and heart lead me …

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #75,486 of 88,598
Seeing the earlier post of the Final Piano Forte X from @Kiats reminded me of my Final Lab ii, that I had not listened to for awhile.

These are quirky earphones, certainly following a different design philosophy. Their sound is closer to an over the head earphone than an IEM, it has been said.
I think I was mesmerized by them when I originally tried them, as I still have a hard time understanding how I spent that much on them. And they still immerse you into the music like no other IEM. No, they are not perfect, but they are pretty good at making music.

Final Lab ii.jpg

Final Lab ii-ZX707.jpg

Attachments

• Final Lab ii.jpg
    Final Lab ii.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #75,487 of 88,598

To be perfectly honest the Trifecta's stock cable is pretty good and should be more than sufficient for a time until you're ready to upgrade it.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #75,488 of 88,598
You can’t say that streaming is always bad compared to CD. We had many revisions in CD itself for any albums and most of the new one that we get in market are all loud. Good luck finding the golden one at premium at Discogs. Been there done that and finally streaming is good for what it is. However if you have the original CDs then good for you but the new restored one may not sound great like the original release and Qobuz is so much better .

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #75,489 of 88,598
Alright everyone what better way to celebrate Christmas than to kickoff the Watercooler 2023 IEM of the Year Poll

I'm trying a new design for this particular poll, we'll see how it goes. There will be a higher end and a lower end bracket. Folks will choose 3 IEMs from a selection of IEMs that have appeared on the scene starting with CanJam SoCal 2022, and that have done well in our polls or otherwise captured folks' attention. (I may have been a little looser with this for the mid-fi bracket.)

Of the 3 selections each person's first choice will be awarded 5 points, second choice 3 points and third choice 1 point. Yout may not vote for the same IEM more than once and if you do I'll take the points from the highest value question and ignore the rest.

The poll will be open for a week and I'll close it down at or close to midnight Dec 31, eastern standard time.

Here is the poll.

Have fun.
What happened to the Supermoon ? It did so well in the last Mid Fi polls . Wouldn't it be a disservice to all who voted for it on your last poll . I am asking because it still seems relavant today considering that the last poll was not too long ago .

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #75,490 of 88,598
What happened to the Supermoon ? It did so well in the last Mid Fi polls . Wouldn't it be a disservice to all who voted for it on your last poll . I am asking because it still seems relavant today considering that the last poll was not too long ago .

Yeah that one and the Noble Spartakus are the two biggest oversights in this particular poll. Can't win'em all I guess.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #75,491 of 88,598
You can’t say that streaming is always bad compared to CD. We had many revisions in CD itself for any albums and most of the new one that we get in market are all loud. Good luck finding the golden one at premium at Discogs. Been there done that and finally streaming is good for what it is. However if you have the original CDs then good for you but the new restored one may not sound great like the original release and Qobuz is so much better .
Qobuz does some weird upsampling with the music and it sounds bad.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #75,492 of 88,598
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #75,493 of 88,598
Qobuz does some weird upsampling with the music and it sounds bad.
I guess it’s the difference in masters that they get as compared to original CD issue but doesn’t mean the re-issue in sale today would sound any better.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #75,494 of 88,598
Sending some thoughts and prayers your dad's way.

Have you seen the Amber Radiance? It's the one I have now and it's quite similar to the Golden Sunset. I actually prefer it as the shell has a slight purple hue and it maintains the gold accents from the Golden Sunset.

50DD0D96-3021-46CC-ADF2-72C7D11C17C6.JPEG
I personally find this so beautiful

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #75,495 of 88,598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back