The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #75,421 of 88,560
I just did some A/Bing, SP3k amped with the MK475 vs. unamped, with the Ragnar, which is a little more power hungry than my other IEMs. It's just an obvious difference -- there's no concentration needed, nothing specific you need to focus on. Soundstage is wider, everything hits harder, the transients are better defined, the individual instruments are better separated and have more weight to them. You know how everything just sounds better when you upgrade from an older generation DAP to a newer one? It's like that. So just to pick a random track, since you asked for one -- Fragments of Time by Daft Punk -- the opening snare drum is just better defined, the bass has more slam. Versus unamped, it's all a bit thinner and a little less separated. I can tell this within the first five seconds.

I don't know how much of it has to do with my specific amps (MK475 and Tsuranagi) and/or my interconnects (Yatono-Ultimate Mini and Orpheus). As others have said, perhaps it's not just about the amount of power your amp is putting out, perhaps it also has to do with the quality of the power. If the # of watts of power was the only defining characteristic of an amp, what would be the point of higher-end amps?

As is the case with cables, I don't profess to know the physics/science behind it, and wouldn't want to get into a debate about that. Just sharing what I hear with my gear, and have no hesitation in saying that the Mass Kobo 475 and Tsuranagi each provide quite a step up in the SP3K's technical performance. (I've kept both amps because there are some modest differences in what they do & the effect they have on the sound).
I can relate to all of this - though i didn't try Tsuranagi with SP3K. I did however try SP3K to PA10 and preferred SP3K on its own. With PA10, SP3k seemed more dull. So for sure its not about just power. By contrast, PA10+RS6 was a big step up.

RS8 sounds better without PA10 too. Tsuranagi with RS8 however, its easy to hear the differences as you mentioned above. Better definition of space, notes and instruments, attacks and decays and it all sounds more effortless. Tsuranagi isnt going to change the tone of the source much but it does sound sweeter especially in the mids and highs, making for an overall more musical and emotional experience.

Sorry for the ramble, but short version, I would say what these higher end amps bring to the table is better grip, control and authority over the drivers.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #75,422 of 88,560
Let's just make things simple to understand. Back then AK provide a separate amps for their SPK and SP2K, so I think they are fully aware that their DAP need some more juice but being stubborn by not want to change the size of their device, or simply just want more profit by selling it in separate. I don't know their reason why are they not doing the same thing with SP3K? They think it's already has sufficient power? I still don't understand why didn't they just increase the size a little bit and give us a more powerful amps and longer battery life. I guess I can live with closed android system, but lesser amping power? No can do :rolling_eyes:
There are unquestionably some tradeoffs involved. The 320max and N30LE, which have better amps, are obviously considerably larger & more expensive devices. Maybe AK has concluded that the market of people who'd want a bigger/heavier/costlier flagship device is exceedingly small -- or maybe they'll come out with something along those lines in the future. I guess the question is, if we think about the spectrum of super-portable (like the SR35?) gear at one end, to a desktop setup at the other end, where does one draw the line? Bigger/heavier gear will always sound better.

Truth be told, I was perfectly content with the SP3k unamped until I heard how much of a difference the amps make. It's only after hearing the difference that I realized I'd rather be using portable amps than give up that incremental sound quality.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #75,423 of 88,560
@warrenpchi Would it be possible to add a feature to "pin" posts in threads? I think it can help with the engagement of the polls here. :D

FWIW I think the engagement is pretty good-- we had nearly 180 participants for the community survey. I was hyping it as much as I could for two weeks and I think just about everyone interested in doing it, did it.

To your suggestion I edited the thread title into a pitch for the IEM of the year survey-- let's see if that draws any more votes. That said I think, in order to maintain integrity of the community spirit of the result, i would be best if folks who contribute to the survey are indeed regular posters or lurkers to this thread and not mercenaries funneled in from elsewhere to boost their favorite IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #75,424 of 88,560
Merry Christmas to all you Watercoolers!

Thanks for being a great community:)

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #75,425 of 88,560
I am a big fan of high-end cables but am so satisfied with my CEMA Gyrfalcon cable that I am thinking of loading up on some more cables from the company and trying them out.

IMG_6701.jpeg

The Gyrfalcon is the one I own and I love it with my Trifecta. Adds a bit more body to the bass and smoothens the treble just a tad, but noticeably.

Although the Centurion might still out-resolve the Gyrfalcon.

IMG_6710.jpeg

I have several flagship cables such as the Orpheus, Centurion and Celeste. Have half a mind to sell one or two of them in light of recent purchases, namely the Jay’s Audio CD Player 2, the Holo Bliss KTE, the VE Aura, the Volur, the Crimson, and the Cadenza 12. Went overboard with gifting myself. 😊
I have two Gyrfalcons waiting for me at home after a Xmas time away, will put one on Bonneville and the other on DTE900,
Look forward to your further suggestions with Cema✌️🥂

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #75,426 of 88,560
There are unquestionably some tradeoffs involved. The 320max and N30LE, which have better amps, are obviously considerably larger & more expensive devices. Maybe AK has concluded that the market of people who'd want a bigger/heavier/costlier flagship device is exceedingly small -- or maybe they'll come out with something along those lines in the future. I guess the question is, if we think about the spectrum of super-portable (like the SR35?) gear at one end, to a desktop setup at the other end, where does one draw the line? Bigger/heavier gear will always sound better.

Truth be told, I was perfectly content with the SP3k unamped until I heard how much of a difference the amps make. It's only after hearing the difference that I realized I'd rather be using portable amps than give up that incremental sound quality.
But in case of AK I'm a little bit confused with what they actually want from their customer.
Their KANN series has a good amping power but sluggish UI, their TOTL SP series has a faster UI but lesser amps, don't know about their entry level DAP, but I assume it has a sluggish UI too. Why don't they just make one device than can do it all? For more price segment? Too many product variations is a little bit confusing I think. Why did they do that? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Anybody here can explain to me? Thanks

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #75,427 of 88,560
What's the building in part II, Daniel?

drftr
That’s the new church building we’re currently constructing. It’s a massive milestone, ‘cus this’ll be the first time our church owns and operates an entire building ourselves. When my grandfather started the church in the 80’s, he’d conduct sermons in people’s houses and small, rented rooms. Our congegration grew to where we rented store units, then hotel ballrooms in the 90’s, then we moved to where we are now - a space in a shopping mall - in 2000. In 2024, we’ll finally be in our own space, built from the ground up. It’s a massive responsibility, but it’s incredible seeing how far we’ve gone the past 23 years. Heck, if you looked at the video, just how much we’ve been able to build in the past 2 has been miraculous. God is good, God is good. :)

Fun fact, the white, windowed room around the 7:30 mark (where it’s just the female alto singers singing) is actually the chapel where I got married. :D The opening of the song is also that chapel, but shot from the outside via drone cam.

gonna ask here as well, best bang for buck single DD under $700? I am using some QuietSea’s right now, and the value for $50 is bonkers. I think I got lost in the hybrid game for too long…

FAudio Spring, Softears Twilight, and the new Timsok have my attention, as well as some other 200 dollar ones but I figured yall would have some good opinions!
I haven’t heard the Timsok, but I reckon it’s tough to beat the Twilight if you’re a midrange lover. That thing does emotive, resonant, but also nuanced vocals like no other single-DD IEM I’ve heard. (I haven’t heard Perpetua.) The caveats would be a more neutral bass, as well as lesser isolation from its acoustic design, so keep those in mind too.

Yup, it's soooo good! In many ways, it reminds me of an in-ear version of Focal's SM9, only more forgiving and less strident.

And to think, I wasn't even super excited to hear it at first. Vlad mentioned that it was a balanced monitor, and though I had no reason to doubt him, I was still skeptical. I mean, let's face it, a lot of people in the industry say that. It's not as ubiquitous as what the artist intended, but for a lot of people, I don't think "balanced monitor" means what they think it means. You know what I mean. And even after it arrived, I was super busy and couldn't get to it right away. But when I finally heard it...

OMG W?T?F? 😄

I can imagine many Head-Fiers, looking for a balanced but enjoyable monitor, stopping at the X4 and not going any further in their quests.

Thanks! I've yet to try any Norne cables. I should dig my 1p2 out of storage and try it out with EA Centurion, ET SoA, etc.

To this day, I have yet to hear anything even remotely as good as the PMC setups at Capitol Studios's control rooms. :slight_smile:

I think so, though the Anime thread might still reign supreme in terms of post count. 😛 If I had to pin it down to any one reason, it's probably because anal orifices aren't allowed here.

That's probably the best recommendation I've read for any unit in recent years! If it's good enough for God, it's good enough for you! 🤣

The fam is looking good! Also, your dad is gonna make Fei Wans jealous! :smiley:

Depends on how much the community wants it? That feature doesn't currently exist on this platform so we'd have to develop/implement a solution for it. We're not afraid of spending time on such things, but it's all about opportunity costs. Time spent on something like that would have to come at the expense of something else... like a new CanJam somewhere in the world. Luckily for us, @Rockwell75 updates the first post in a pretty timely manner. Maybe we should all get in the habit of checking on with the first post whenever we fall behind with the thread? 😂

I really, really, really like the Centurion. And though it might not have perfect synergy with every pairing, have you noticed that it rarely makes any pairing bad? So well-mannered, it is.
Thanks, my friend! I think the track turned out pretty nice, considering I had 24 hours to get it done, and the X4’s were a massive help in that. I can definitely see myself working with them more in the future.

Fun fact, my dad’s decently into portable audio as well. He always had a Grado or two on rotation, but I introduced him to customs. He first got the legendary JH Audio JH5’s, and now he rocks the 64 Audio A3’s behind the drum kit, as well as the Kumitate Lab Meteo’s for personal listening.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #75,428 of 88,560
Wish I had time to sit down and read, non stop beginning to end, some of the epic classics...... War and Peace, Shogun, Atlas Shrugged, one week of Watercooler posts.......
:wink: :beerchug:

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #75,429 of 88,560
FWIW I think the engagement is pretty good-- we had nearly 180 participants for the community survey. I was hyping it as much as I could for two weeks and I think just about everyone interested in doing it, did it.

To your suggestion I edited the thread title into a pitch for the IEM of the year survey-- let's see if that draws any more votes. That said I think, in order to maintain integrity of the community spirit of the result, i would be best if folks who contribute to the survey are indeed regular posters or lurkers to this thread and not mercenaries funneled in from elsewhere to boost their favorite IEM.
I see what you did there 🤭

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #75,431 of 88,560
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #75,432 of 88,560
In fairness Fir wasn't just any old startup-- they were essentially the creative team behind 64 Audio, one of the most long standing, well established and respected brands out there.
There is a site that measures the dynamic range of releases and qobuz rates very bad generally.

Could you please share a link to the site?

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #75,433 of 88,560
Secret Santa visited yesterday!! Got the Torino for myself, and despite its strange and sharp looks, I love the sound of the set. Fast, Responsive, Strong Bass, Clear Vocals, and great imaging, although the stage is a little limited but that's okay I guess. Love the rich tone and timbre of the Torino. Exchanged my Meze 109 Pro for the Torino as I was not getting any time with the headphones at all. Thanks to Mr @Sajid Amit for the sweet deal.
Torino.jpg

Torino 2.jpg

But the CA Super Moon stole my heart, tight, precise, accurate sound, although the fit is a little finicky but I am sure I will get used to that. I will save up and purchase it by next year or something.
Super Moon 1.jpg

Super Moon 2.jpg

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #75,434 of 88,560
Speaking of milestones 33 more and I'll hit 60,000 likes. Imaginary internet points I know, but a milestone's a milestone.

Wait, can you reclassify as an “Influencer” and cash in on milestones like hits, number of pages, and this has been the hottest thread on HF!

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #75,435 of 88,560
The caveats would be a more neutral bass, as well as lesser isolation from its acoustic design
Ooof this is what I am afraid of. I may still pick up the Twilight if I find a good enough deal on it, but I do love me some bass… I’ve heard everything else about it is just lovely though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back