The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 15, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #73,666 of 88,290
I think the Aura just surprised the Trifecta as my favorite IEM.
Been listening 3 days non stop lol, keep’s amazing me
The sound is just so freeking full yet detailed, holographic yet intimate.
And slaps your eardrums around.

(Maybe its the honeymoon phase 😅)

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #73,667 of 88,290
The sound is just so freeking full yet detailed, holographic yet intimate.
And slaps your eardrums around.

(Maybe its the honeymoon phase 😅)
Longest honeymoon phase of my life 😮‍💨❤️‍🔥

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #73,668 of 88,290
Its hard to describe, but when listening to a song like: Metallica - One.
Its like the beginning guitar plucks are done with your ears as the guitar. Thats how much detail and feeling you get.

Also from that song this might be the first time I feel like im right there with the soldiers firing the shots, hearing what they scream.

This is something else… 😁

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #73,669 of 88,290
Not only @Chang but when I received the Monachaa tour unit from Oriolus they sent me a memo specifically stating that the IEM needed some juice to thrive. They sent me a list of recommended DAPs for that IEM that had a high enough current output and the only players which were explicitly not recommended were the WM1Z and SP3k.
You really seem to have a clue and I want to believe you. But why does Chang recommend the M9+ for Storm and not the SP3000? According to him, the SP3000 is not strong enough, but the M9+ is.
There are 2 factors for this.

First factor is Impedance matching. Ideally you want the output impedance of the source (amp) to be 8x less than the IEM/headphones, otherwise you will not be able to drive the IEM/headphones properly. In the case of the Storm, ideally you will want a source that has an output impedance of <0.8 ohms.

If the source’s output impedance is too high, say more than half of the IEM’s rated impedance, you can get problems like bass roll-off or other problems that will change the sound signature in different unpredictable ways. Some people like this kind of changes, that’s why tube amps are popular. This can (“will” if you are an engineer) negatively affect the performance of the IEM.

Storm has very low impedance, it is possible some of the DAPs just do not have the output impedance low enough for Storm to shine.

The other factor is the current output. This is going to take some maths.
Storm’a specifications states the IEM is 6.1 Ohms at 103dB/Vrms. Which is equivalent to 80.8db/mW. For comparison, Hifiman Susvara is at 83db/mW.

At these levels, you will need pretty insane current output for the Storm to listen at louder volumes without any clipping or distortion . AK amps were and are not great at outputting high currents. Chances are it’s clipping at some of the transients, but not noticeable enough that it affects the listening experience of most users.

Of course as a manufacturer, you will want the best chances for your products when people are demoing, I can see why Chang recommended against the SP3000. There are going to be a lot of other DAPs and amps that aren’t optimal for the Storm. He likely only listed SP3000 because these are the more popular options. And could also be the DAP he specifically tested to deem the performance not optimal for Storm.

Same could apply to Oriolus, Empire Ears etc. Especially Empire ears with their 2Ohms IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #73,670 of 88,290
I think Annihilator's rep as a power hungry IEM is a bit overblown. When I owned one it sounded great out of my lowly AK SR25 MKii. Monachaa, to name one, is much more power hungry.
I would respectfully disagree with you here. Sure, Annihilator sounds very good, great even with a lower-powered source like a cheap dongle or my OG SR25; it's Anni23 after all! :wink:

But much like an IEM such as IER-Z1R, Anni scales up beautifully with a more powerful amp. I hear a larger, more 3D stage with better dynamics and punch with any of my desktop amps, especially the Jot2 balanced. And no, it's not about different volume, this is at relatively lower volumes on all sources, eg 70db or so.

I don't recall, did you still have the LP6 at the time you had Anni21? I suspect that would be an epic combo.
There's a very sharp misconception surrounding the sp3k that unfortunately has become a bit of a...repeated because enough people said it type scenario. The sp3ks amp puts out 6.3vrms which is about 9volts. The m9+ puts out 6volts only, 3volts less on its balanced output, I believe it's turbo or headphone mode whatever it's called ups this by 1 to 2 volts, either way still less than the sp3ks output.
There's a lot more to it than voltage....
This is all very interesting. However, after all that some have written here, I have even less understanding of the subject. I am now left with more questions. Well, it doesn't matter, it was just curiosity...
This is by far the best explainer I've found on the topic, I'd strongly suggest anyone interested in the topic to spend the 7 minutes or so:

Paul is talking more about speakers and speaker amps, but the principles are identical with portable gear, just on a smaller scale. tl;dr:: an amp needs to provide sufficient current to sustain enough voltage for a less-sensitive transducer to produce it's best sound.
No idea what's going on here, but as I wrote earlier: the SP3000 is able to drive my HD800S better (-> dynamics and soundstage) than the CA1000T and ADI 2 Pro SE; both have much, much more power. So I am satisfied.
Just claiming in regarding that power discussion that I have been happily listening out of my former Sp3k with my DCA Stealth and now facing comments talking about the power horse Kann Ultra being underpowered for it
At the end of the day, how well you enjoy the gear you have is all that matters!

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #73,671 of 88,290
Very interesting question! To be honest, I've never understood that either. In the past, I was able to compare for example the ADI 2 Pro SE and the CA1000T with the SP3000. The former are much, much... much more powerful and yet the SP3000 was clearly (technically and tunically) superior for me, even - or better: especially with the HD800S. So I simply don't understand this discourse of stronger AMP -> better dynamics and soundstage. On the CA1000T I could choose between four different levels of output power and all were technically and tunically exactly the same. The same also applies to the ADI. Then of course you have dongles like the Ru7, where you immediately notice the difference between low- and high-gain. I am too ignorant to understand anything here. But I certainly wouldn't say across the board that the AMP always makes a difference.
What is tunically? Is it from the word "tune"?
I think stronger amp = better dynamic and soundstage only applies when we use a hard to drive IEM like Anni, Storm, etc.
If used with an easy to drive, then there'll be no difference in amp scaling because it's already properly driven IMO.
Surprised to see the percentage of streaming, maybe I am too old.
And yet some brand still think that by adding streaming function it will affect their sound quality and not thinking how to make a device with a good SQ and has a streaming function like what the market want? I think they're supposed to solve the problem and not avoiding it aren't they? 🤔
There's a very sharp misconception surrounding the sp3k that unfortunately has become a bit of a...repeated because enough people said it type scenario. The sp3ks amp puts out 6.3vrms which is about 9volts. The m9+ puts out 6volts only, 3volts less on its balanced output, I believe it's turbo or headphone mode whatever it's called ups this by 1 to 2 volts, either way still less than the sp3ks output.

The sp3k is not going for a bombastic type approach to sound, it is neutral with an emphasis on clarity and detail. The common misconception also is that something like the 475 is powering or "scaling" an iem better, the majority of iems are far below 32 ohm impedance and require only a few watts to run, if even 1 watt in some cases which at 32ohms is going to be requiring a lot less than 9 volts. The 475 is simply causing better "dynamics" because it doesn't care about the same things the sp3k amp is designed to care about.

I'm sure I'll get flak but guess what, no iem needs a desktop amp to be powered properly, you just like loudness (or excessive bass focused quantity), it's the human ear problem.

Edit to add, the sp3k also goes up to freaking 150 volume. It has power, in spades, it just scales it slowly.
I would love to see AK just put their output load on their spec sheet in mW like other manufacturer than using Vrms so it's easier to compare with other DAP.
And about your IEM statement, sadly it's not true. I too see a trend nowadays more and more TOTL IEM are harder to drive and I don't know their reasons for doing that. Maybe it's a sacrifice to be made for the sake of SQ? I don't know. So that's why newer DAP now are getting bigger and more powerful too, so they can accomodate it.
This trend is starting to worrying me. My use case for the dap was mostly iem but if the tendency will go this direction there will be only few of them to drive them correctly. The iems nowadays are getting very hard to drive. And I am not talking about planar ones.
It all depends on which IEM you use. If you mostly use it for easy listening, we are blessed with plenty of mid power DAP with a good sound 😉

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #73,672 of 88,290
I would love to see AK just put their output load on their spec sheet in mW like other manufacturer than using Vrms so it's easier to compare with other DAP.
And about your IEM statement, sadly it's not true. I too see a trend nowadays more and more TOTL IEM are harder to drive and I don't know their reasons for doing that. Maybe it's a sacrifice to be made for the sake of SQ? I don't know. So that's why newer DAP now are getting bigger and more powerful too, so they can accomodate it.
I think it's the exact opposite, this year has seen multiple extremely proficient and objectively top of their price bracket while beating out iems, both tonally and technically, well above their cost. Hard to drive = lazy/bad crossover, we are seeing an uptick of manufacturers properly creating impedance match/low impedance, within .1ohm, from 20hz-20khz regularly now and many iems releasing within the next 2 months tout the same tech. It is a must to adopt said technology and create proper crossovers that are efficient. Just like all of our technology, things should be requiring less power given our technological prowess and design capability, not more.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #73,673 of 88,290
I think it's the exact opposite, this year has seen multiple extremely proficient and objectively top of their price bracket while beating out iems, both tonally and technically, well above their cost. Hard to drive = lazy/bad crossover, we are seeing an uptick of manufacturers properly creating impedance match/low impedance, within .1ohm, from 20hz-20khz regularly now and many iems releasing within the next 2 months tout the same tech. It is a must to adopt said technology and create proper crossovers that are efficient. Just like all of our technology, things should be requiring less power given our technological prowess and design capability, not more.
Yeah, I agree with you but some of the best TOTL IEM in the market now love some good juice to sing better. I bet they are thirsty after performing 😂
I can't say that hard to drive means lazy or bad crossover. We or maybe me specifically just think maybe they want to create something that's easy to drive but at the cost of not getting the tuning that they are looking for, so they need to make some sacrifice by making it harder to drive and sadly they don't have the technology yet to solve that problem? 🤷🏼‍♂️
But I'm glad that there's still so many good IEM, TOTL or not, that is still easy to drive 😁

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #73,674 of 88,290
Just enjoying the super portable side of delicious audiophilia tonight...while the big DAP and MM charge, let's go for a walk while we figure out dinner...the ultimate, light, walkaround! L&P P6Pro, drjuggles/khanyayo cable, CFA Black Star (Divinus Velvet tips) will make me quite happy! Happy weekend, Watercooler!

20231215_193826.jpg

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #73,675 of 88,290
I think the Aura just surprised the Trifecta as my favorite IEM.
Been listening 3 days non stop lol, keep’s amazing me

VE tuning will have that effect :wink:. That said the Perpetua similarly surprised me recently; I can’t get enough of it . My recent acquisition of the WM1Z only upped the ante.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #73,677 of 88,290
Just enjoying the super portable side of delicious audiophilia tonight...while the big DAP and MM charge, let's go for a walk while we figure out dinner...the ultimate, light, walkaround! L&P P6Pro, drjuggles/khanyayo cable, CFA Black Star (Divinus Velvet tips) will make me quite happy! Happy weekend, Watercooler!

20231215_193826.jpg

I might get to demo the BS locally next week :). Not that I need another IEM.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #73,678 of 88,290

20231215_193826.jpg
Would love to hear your thoughts on the black star if you havent shared them already!

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #73,679 of 88,290
Would love to hear your thoughts on the black star if you havent shared them already!

Travis at Headphone Bar carries Black Star. I’m hoping to swing by on my way to Kelowna next week, if you’re free you should come say hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back