The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #73,171 of 89,870
Have not forgotten Lotoo LPGT / Titanium are also non-streaming players unless you receive BT audio from something else. I think Lotoo are priced a touch high (no pun intended) given no onboard SSD (this is my personal scoring matrix only)

I have a custom Rn6. With the right tips, Xe6 is just as comfortable. Tips are so underrated, but probably one of the most important parts of the chain.

Yeah I am pretty much all in on customs, but am willing to make an exception for "potentially interesting" in universal form only like the Nightjar Duality (name tbc) or eventual future Sony. However I totally get customs have a number of barriers to entry

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #73,172 of 89,870
Glad you're finally getting to hear and enjoy it for yourself. I had a sneaky suspicion you'd love it. Perfect combination of size, UI, speed and tonality, and like you say, still right up there with the best technical performers today. The fact that it's still the best made, best looking DAP around after 5 years is quite something. It's a masterpiece that I'll never sell because I don't think we'll see the likes of it again, and synergy with certain IEMs - and Z1R in particular - is incredible. You should have a listen to Z1R again with the WM1Z, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (again).

PS. Not sure if you've installed @MrWalkman's firmware on it yet, but the world of possibilities this opens up is next level - for free, and with zero SQ compromises. Seek out the dedicated thread when you're ready to explore.
Can this firmware be installed on all Z1Rs? Will it remove the Euro volume cap maybe?

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #73,174 of 89,870
Can this firmware be installed on all Z1Rs? Will it remove the Euro volume cap maybe?

Sony IER-Z1R is an in ear monitor

Old non-Android Sony players located in EU region can have high gain enabled using the rockbox tool free of charge. Or use Mr W's firmware. Mr W is about unlocking more software features and his or her own sound profiles (Mr W does not disclose the EQ changes)

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Getting_the_tool

Sony only sell Android players now. Android based Sony players with no high gain cannot be unlocked. Sony has also began to remove high gain for more countries for recent Android players so do you research. Japan / HK has high gain for Sony Android players, change language to English

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #73,175 of 89,870
Firmware on Z1r?
Sony IER-Z1R is an in ear monitor

Old non-Android Sony players located in EU region can have high gain enabled using the rockbox tool free of charge. Or use Mr W's firmware. Mr W is about unlocking more software features and his or her own sound profiles (Mr W does not disclose the EQ changes)

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Getting_the_tool

Sony only sell Android players now. Android based Sony players with no high gain cannot be unlocked. Sony has also began to remove high gain for more countries for recent Android players so do you research. Japan / HK has high gain for Sony Android players, change language to English
Being confused on Sony's product name is easily forgiven I think 🤭
Actually most of Japanese brand love to give their products a rather difficult name using alphanumeric. Are they naming a product or making a password 😂

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #73,177 of 89,870
Being confused on Sony's product name is easily forgiven I think 🤭
Actually most of Japanese brand love to give their products a rather difficult name using alphanumeric. Are they naming a product or making a password 😂
This is true. Lately i wanted to get familiar wit the Acoustune model lineup. It is though to remember the models.
For Example : HS2000MX SHO - Sho - MKII

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #73,178 of 89,870

uh oh. That’s annoying. Why would they be removing high gain outside of the EU?

Oh and you let me demo your Z1R at CanJam London this year. Thank you very much for that. I’m also tempted to get one eventually to pair with my Sony dap.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #73,179 of 89,870
I have a custom Rn6. With the right tips, Xe6 is just as comfortable. Tips are so underrated, but probably one of the most important parts of the chain.
Comfort is one thing, sound is something else entirely. My custom Xe6 has noticeably improved coherence vs the universal, which sounded disjointed between bass and upper mids by comparison.

Tips are overrated, a necessary evil of dealing with universals imho.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #73,180 of 89,870
uh oh. That’s annoying. Why would they be removing high gain outside of the EU?

Oh and you let me demo your Z1R at CanJam London this year. Thank you very much for that. I’m also tempted to get one eventually to pair with my Sony dap.

No worries

The WM1A/1Z Mk2's have high gain in North America. But I read no high gain for North America ZX707. I believe Singapore ZX707 also lacks high gain. Before anyone says other manufacturers sell whatever they want, Sony are likely more of a target for litigation and likely have a more established internal compliance team enforcing these things. Sony makes money from Playstation and Spiderman films, they do not need a sideshow

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #73,181 of 89,870
Comfort is one thing, sound is something else entirely. My custom Xe6 has noticeably improved coherence vs the universal, which sounded disjointed between bass and upper mids by comparison.

Tips are for poor people who can't afford customs.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #73,182 of 89,870
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #73,184 of 89,870

Tips are for poor people who can't afford customs.
This is quite a strong statement 🤔
Going universal is not about don't have money to buy the CIEM version of an IEM.
I prefer universal because I can sell it again and I can use the fund for my new toys. I'm not a collector too so I don't want to have too many. Let's assume you're just joking with your statement 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back