The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #71,866 of 89,378
First impressions video on Noble's upcoming IEM with xMEMS solid state driver tech:

It's a pre-production unit so a lot will change, but this is supposed to be around $700.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #71,867 of 89,378
Received the MM kit yesterday. Cross-posting my MM listening notes from the Watercooler Tour thread:

Chain:
320MAX Ti DAP + MK475 amp + Azla Sedna Short tips.

Staging:
The feature that surprised me the most is the staging. I'm hearing a very "fleshed out", coherent stage (when the track allows) and some of the best imaging I've heard.

Bass:
Decent bass dynamics but can use more bass definition in the note edges and in general. Despite these issues, it offers a decent punch.

Tuning:
Neutral warm leaning tuning. I don't know if the treble squigs elevated, but at least on my chain, the treble sounds smooth without perceptible peaks.

Treble:
I really enjoy the treble response on this set which is more than I can say for most other IEMs I've heard. Really well-executed.

Mids:
Voicing sounds neutrally placed with good body and a smooth and analogue feel. Very non-fatiguing.

Cons:
Now a nitpick. With my listening so far, MM lacks resolution compared to sets like Anni 23. I plan on trying ear tips that offer more clarity (Velvets, SpinFit Omnis, SpinFit W1) to see if this makes any change.

The "Deep of Universe" cable is slightly microphonic as well. I'm assuming this comes stock with MM.

Summary:
Overall, MM is a great set. From a personal standpoint, it has some of my favorite tuning and everything I index for. I know some don't like MM's bass but I have no such issue, preferring it to the bass of something like the Annihilator 2023.

Additional notes:
My main gripe with MM is the pricing. Even with diminishing returns factored in, MM as an overall package (tuning + techs) is priced about 2k too high (IMO).

As much as I like it (and I really like it), I'd rather stretch an additional 1k for something like Storm than to overpay (IMO) for MM. A very different IEM, but I think something like Annihilator 2023 is much more competitively priced from a price-to-performance ratio.
Anni's details are more "in-your-face" in certain aspects and therefore stand out more. But MM has for me better micro details and I can notice it immediately. In the overall picture, more informations can be taken out with MM in this respect.

A tip about the "tips": in my opinion, MM needs a close connection with the ear, so the AZLA shorts are not really suitable - at least for me, because MM protrudes a bit in comparison. Try the MM stock tips and you'll immediately notice that even the staging is better.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #71,868 of 89,378
Anni's details are more "in-your-face" in certain aspects and therefore stand out more. But MM has for me better micro details and I can notice it immediately. In the overall picture, more informations can be taken out with MM in this respect.

A tip about the "tips": in my opinion, MM needs a close connection with the ear, so the AZLA shorts are not really suitable - at least for me, because MM protrudes a bit in comparison. Try the MM stock tips and you'll immediately notice that even the staging is better.
The tour unit didn't come with any tips so I won't be able to try the MM stock tips. Any other tips you recommend?

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #71,869 of 89,378
The tour unit didn't come with any tips so I won't be able to try the MM stock tips. Any other tips you recommend?
AZLA xelastic, and I went with a size smaller than I normally use, for a deeper fit. I do the same with the AP. Best combo fit and SQ I've found so far.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #71,870 of 89,378
AZLA xelastic, and I went with a size smaller than I normally use, for a deeper fit. I do the same with the AP. Best combo fit and SQ I've found so far.
+1 to this one. It's true: a deeper insertion is required for better sound performance - but that's not to give the impression that MM's fit is "deep", on the contrary I find it extremely comfortable and not "deep" at all. I just think that shorter tips are more suitable. Of course, this is only an opinion.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #71,872 of 89,378
Any Qobuz subscribers here who read the 10% Black Friday gift card discount offers running out in 2 days?
Can these be applied also to active subscribers or only new ones?
Sorry, I'm not a subscriber.
I'm looking for a sublime abo. Do you know if I can use this gift card discount also to get a sublime abo?

Another topic:
Ordered some stuff with a good discount on Black Friday. Now waiting for the incoming SR35, A&K x Campfire Pathfinder, and Trifecta :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #71,873 of 89,378
Silver vs Copper

Recently, I've found myself transitioning from the Cayin house sound to a slightly more detailed high-fidelity sound setup (though not yet delving into the realm favored by treble enthusiasts).
In comparing the Tormenta Glacier EP with the PW Attila:
IMG_4059.jpeg

The Glacier EP boasts OCC pure silver 20AWG 4W (which I believe to be of very high quality) and features a new Aeco 4.4 plug, available in silver-plated, gold-plated, or rhodium-plated variants. Dacron double silk insulator.

On the other hand, the PW Attila utilizes OCC copper wires and isolators, with 26AWG 4W and medical-grade PVC shielding.

I particularly enjoyed this setup – DX 220 Max with W modification (courtesy of Whitigir, incorporating organic caps for a meatier bass/body, resulting in a sound quality akin to the DX 300 max), paired with the Noble Kublai Khan and the Eletech Baroque tip.
IMG_4061.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

The ethereal highs provided by the Glacier EP create a delightful soundstage with quality bass/sub-bass without feeling dry. Being a high-quality silver cable, it maintains a balanced sound signature, unlike the usual harsh or thin sound associated with silver cables. When compared to the PW Attila, the Glacier EP offers slightly brighter tones and excels in reproducing female vocals. The PW Attila, while an excellent cable, imparts more of a copper hue and delivers thicker sound bodies, along with excellent soundstage - maybe this will be better for fun, pop rock music, etc.

It's worth noting that the Glacier EP might have lower resistance – I could detect very slight white noise in-between songs.

Concerning the tips, the Baroque tip demonstrates superior high-frequency reproduction compared to the Azla Xelastec tip. The stock tip from Amber Pearl (=Xelastec) feels 'blunted,' losing out on micro-details and the distinctive sense of soundstage present with the Baroque tip. However, the Xelastec tip offers a better Bass, and BCD feel, possibly due to its thicker silicone construction.

Photos of Tormenta Glacier EP with its Silver plated 4.4mm Aeco plug(x10 thicker than Gold plated they say.. need maintenance like applying Deoxit gold time to time)(Newly launched Aeco plug comes in 3 variations -Silver plated, Gold plated and Rhodium plated version):

Tormenta audio is a small boutique audio shop(Makes headphone cable, desktop tube amps etc. I may be wrong) located in Jeju Island, Korea. I was able to secure one thanks to my audiophile friend in Seoul.
IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #71,874 of 89,378
Would such a device make sense to re-rip thousands of CDs? Now that I have time at hand I'm considering doing everything yet again but in the highest quality and then sell the CDs for whatever I can get.

And in general for all here if this pony doesn't do the trick: What is the best way to actually rip so many CDs while ensuring the highest quality? I think some of you have discussed this 1.5 years or so ago but the search function on the forum is not helpful enough. Tnx...

drftr

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ is kind of a standard, for error free ripping. It even has a list of CDs that can be used to test the CD-ROM Drive, to find the physical head offset error, and add a correction in EAC. It can be slow, depending on settings for number of retries, etc.

DBPoweramp seems to be also highly recommended. You can give both a try. I think I have been using this for the infrequent CDs that I need to rip nowadays.

Good information on using dppoweramp below, and a good discussion about the fundamentals of ripping CDs..

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showth...FLAC-Best-Options-to-Check-or-Tips-and-Tricks
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #71,875 of 89,378
Silver vs Copper

Recently, I've found myself transitioning from the Cayin house sound to a slightly more detailed high-fidelity sound setup (though not yet delving into the realm favored by treble enthusiasts).
In comparing the Tormenta Glacier EP with the PW Attila:
IMG_4059.jpeg
The Glacier EP boasts OCC pure silver 20AWG 4W (which I believe to be of very high quality) and features a new Aeco 4.4 plug, available in silver-plated, gold-plated, or rhodium-plated variants.

On the other hand, the PW Attila utilizes OCC copper wires and isolators, with 26AWG 4W and medical-grade PVC shielding.

I particularly enjoyed this setup – DX 220 Max with W modification (courtesy of Whitigir, incorporating organic caps for a meatier bass/body, resulting in a sound quality akin to the DX 300 max), paired with the Noble Kublai Khan and the Eletech Baroque tip.
IMG_4061.jpeg
IMG_4060.jpeg

The ethereal highs provided by the Glacier EP create a delightful soundstage with quality bass/sub-bass without feeling dry. Being a high-quality silver cable, it maintains a balanced sound signature, unlike the usual harsh or thin sound associated with silver cables. When compared to the PW Attila, the Glacier EP offers slightly brighter tones and excels in reproducing female vocals. The PW Attila, while an excellent cable, imparts more of a copper hue and delivers thicker sound bodies, along with excellent soundstage - maybe this will be better for fun, pop rock music, etc.

It's worth noting that the Glacier EP might have lower resistance – I could detect very slight white noise in-between songs.

Concerning the tips, the Baroque tip demonstrates superior high-frequency reproduction compared to the Azla Xelastec tip. The stock tip from Amber Pearl (=Xelastec) feels 'blunted,' losing out on micro-details and the distinctive sense of soundstage present with the Baroque tip. However, the Xelastec tip offers a better Bass, and BCD feel, possibly due to its thicker silicone construction.

Photos of Tormenta Glacier EP with its Silver plated 4.4mm Aeco plug(x10 thicker than Gold plated they say.. need maintenance like applying Deoxit gold time to time)(Newly launched Aeco plug comes in 3 variations -Silver plated, Gold plated and Rhodium plated version):

Tormenta audio is a small boutique audio shop(Makes headphone cable, desktop tube amps etc. I may be wrong) located in Jeju Island, Korea. I was able to secure one thanks to my audiophile friend in Seoul.
IMG_3718.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg
How do you find the useability of the Glacier cable with the wire being split in 2 at the plug? :thinking::thinking::spy:

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #71,877 of 89,378
How do you find the useability of the Glacier cable with the wire being split in 2 at the plug? :thinking::thinking::spy:
Oh it is a little bit stiff, not as supple as Eletech cables but ok to use.
Glacier EP can be customized by user- either twisted, using 3 leather splitters or just one. Manufacturer explains if two cable lines are freely separated, this increases soundstage, L R separation and sub bass feel. When twisted, more density and high end extension feeling but lower soundstage(gold plated 4.4 recommended for twisted setting)
IMG_4063.jpeg

I felt similar ;; when twisted, I felt I needed a little bit more soundstage.

Glacier headphone cable(grey one) is 8w(not 4w) with ?air damping tech. Same User-twisted-or-not geek. (All photos from manufacturer)
Hope it helps!

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4068.jpeg
    IMG_4068.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #71,878 of 89,378
EAC (Exact Audio Copy) https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ is kind of a standard, for error free ripping. It even has a list of CDs that can be used to test the CD-ROM Drive, to find the physical head offset error, and add a correction in EAC. It can be slow, depending on settings for number of retries, etc.

DBPoweramp seems to be also highly recommended. You can give both a try. I think I have been using this for the infrequent CDs that I need to rip nowadays.

Good information on using dppoweramp below, and a good discussion about the fundamentals of ripping CDs..

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showth...FLAC-Best-Options-to-Check-or-Tips-and-Tricks
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm
Tnx much for this addition! Will go through it all.

drftr

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #71,879 of 89,378
Cons:
Now a nitpick. With my listening so far, MM lacks resolution compared to sets like Anni 23. I plan on trying ear tips that offer more clarity (Velvets, SpinFit Omnis, SpinFit W1) to see if this makes any change.

Additional notes:
My main gripe with MM is the pricing. Even with diminishing returns factored in, MM as an overall package (tuning + techs) is priced about 2k too high (IMO).

As much as I like it (and I really like it), I'd rather stretch an additional 1k for something like Storm than to overpay (IMO) for MM. A very different IEM, but I think something like Annihilator 2023 is much more competitively priced from a price-to-performance ratio.

I didn't really understand or appreciate the MM until I switched to the AZLA Xelastec eartips. Are those the same as the short tips? It was much more transparent and better balanced between the mids and treble. I suspect the spinfit W1 will be similar, but haven't had enough time to compare them vs the azla.

I "may" agree with you on pricing if you are looking at MSRP. However, you can find so many that are less than 1yr old selling for $2600-2800. At this price point, I think it is totally worth it and would have kept mine if not stretching the wallet to get the UM AP.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #71,880 of 89,378
I didn't really understand or appreciate the MM until I switched to the AZLA Xelastec eartips. Are those the same as the short tips? It was much more transparent and better balanced between the mids and treble. I suspect the spinfit W1 will be similar, but haven't had enough time to compare them vs the azla.

I "may" agree with you on pricing if you are looking at MSRP. However, you can find so many that are less than 1yr old selling for $2600-2800. At this price point, I think it is totally worth it and would have kept mine if not stretching the wallet to get the UM AP.
That was exactly my problem with the AZLA Shorts: not transparent enough and lack of balance. They probably have a too prominent foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back