The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #71,836 of 91,210
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #71,837 of 91,210
Okay, so far, here's who I've got down who are interested in a SoCal Watercooler meet.

Did I absentmindedly forget anybody? @timeslip, are you anywhere near us that you might want to join in?

IMO, all DAPs should have a hold button. It's just common sense really.

Tangentially related to music discovery, this book seems like a pretty interesting read:

Hi! I've met with theveterans, DenverW and XERO1 at the San Diego meetup as well as CanJam SoCal 2023 and would love to join the WaterCooler meetup!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #71,839 of 91,210
Roon works great for me but I have over 120K songs in my catalog so that might help it when it comes to suggestions.

I usually go to New Releases 2x a week and filter by Electronic, once I’ve made my way through those I go to Folk/Jazz and make my way through there. I end up adding a ½ dozen albums a week to my catalog and the suggestions from those albums have kept me very busy for quite a while. I use Qobuz as the streaming service exclusively now attached to Roon.

I used to use Tidal also but I don’t want to contribute to that Cabal any longer so I unsubscribed a while ago fwiw.
Out of interest, where does this Tidal = Cabal thing come from?

Not questioning your decision or reasoning at all, just truthfully curious what I might be missing about Tidal's background. I might swap to another provider too should your view be agreeable.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #71,840 of 91,210
Out of interest, where does this Tidal = Cabal thing come from?

Not questioning your decision or reasoning at all, just truthfully curious what I might be missing about Tidal's background. I might swap to another provider too should your view be agreeable.

IMG_3518.jpeg

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #71,842 of 91,210
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #71,844 of 91,210
About OrphyS, this happened to me this morning and it pains me so much 😭
Already happened twice and I plugged it to my N30 AP. I hope it's not dangerous. Don't want to broke my beloved DAP 😰
Is it better to send it back to Peter to be replaced with a new one or is it okay? I mean less contact area because the gold plating is crumbled? Thanks
My OrphyS is perfect , so far

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #71,845 of 91,210
KEXP, Triple J & Tiny Desk are goats for discovering smaller artists.
Ah yes TripleJ, although I don’t discover near as much there as I do Triple R.

I’ll never forget when I very first travelled to Australia listening to the radio in the car, I wondered why there were no advertisements interrupting all the great tunes. My gf informed me that it’s TripleJ, part of the ABC, and being 100% taxpayer-funded there’s a ban on commercials. “What an incredible country!” I thought, one of the many many reasons I’m still here.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #71,846 of 91,210
Ah yes TripleJ, although I don’t discover near as much there as I do Triple R.

I’ll never forget when I very first travelled to Australia listening to the radio in the car, I wondered why there were no advertisements interrupting all the great tunes. My gf informed me that it’s TripleJ, part of the ABC, and being 100% taxpayer-funded there’s a ban on commercials. “What an incredible country!” I thought, one of the many many reasons I’m still here.
Did not know Triple R existed. Thank you.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #71,848 of 91,210
I once had a collection of a few thousand CDs (picked them up starting in the mid-eighties) and began ripping them for years and spent many hours of my lifetime doing so. Somewhen inbetween, around 2012, I signed in to Qobuz and bought more and more downloads from them (instead of CDs), not seldomly high-res files. 2 years ago I sold my whole CD collection.

2 lessons learned: 1) don't sell your CDs for the money - that will most likely not satisfie you, as you won't get much. 2) save the time needed for the ripping and tagging and better make use of it a) for listening to music via a streaming service and more music at hand than you will ever need (or have) or b) to directly download albums as files in case you feel the need to own certain items or c) to neither sell nor rip your CDs and simply listen to them....
Preparing an off-line library for yet another multi-year trip on the road; preferably to countries where I wouldn't be able to stream at all. Perhaps I should make it a selection criterium! 🤔

drftr

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #71,849 of 91,210
I'll be honest I don't plan on A/B'ing them at all since I already did that at CanJam, but going from stock to BH 4 wire just now the most immediate thing that sticks out is that it feels there's a sort of veil lifted off of the sound. Fei Wan already has one of the most detailed mid ranges I have heard and I feel BH just helps add to that. On top of that you can notice extra separation between the notes without making them feel like they're being stretched or coming off as thinner. Bass dynamics also are notably improved which was my favorite part of testing as I felt Fei Wan bass dynamics are already some of the best I have heard in general. In general it does a great job at improvement overall end to end extension. For a copper cable I hear it to stay rather neutral/not enforcing its own "sound" on the IEM, which was what I was looking for. Whereas something like Orpheus has a much stronger presence on whatever you plug it in to. I wanted Fei Wan to sound like Fei Wan but... better (?), I was also mostly just chasing a nicer cable in general as I find the stock cable to be meh.

Ergo when moving around are fantastic, the cable has a nice thickness and weight to it without coming off as obtrusive. It's also incredibly supple and a joy to handle and look at. All the NightJar cables I tested at CanJam including the beast that was Sovereign Symphony were very nice in terms of handling.

Here's mine
IMG-20231128-WA0062.jpg

IMG-20231128-WA0063.jpg

Moderator Edit: Removed Member of the Trade promotion

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #71,850 of 91,210
Would such a device make sense to re-rip thousands of CDs? Now that I have time at hand I'm considering doing everything yet again but in the highest quality and then sell the CDs for whatever I can get.

And in general for all here if this pony doesn't do the trick: What is the best way to actually rip so many CDs while ensuring the highest quality? I think some of you have discussed this 1.5 years or so ago but the search function on the forum is not helpful enough. Tnx...

drftr

Exact audio copy is the hardcore or enthusiast choice and it is more picky than other software in my experience, particularly if you have it set up for slower more accurate ripping with more passes. dbpoweramp is also another option but commercial, check for any ongoing Cyber Monday deals

Or else buy a CD ripper box thing :p

Double check the licensing law in your country. Not everywhere allows the storage of digital backups and selling on the physical media :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back