The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #71,821 of 91,357
Really cool! Can’t wait to hear your impressions vs stock fw.

I'll be honest I don't plan on A/B'ing them at all since I already did that at CanJam, but going from stock to BH 4 wire just now the most immediate thing that sticks out is that it feels there's a sort of veil lifted off of the sound. Fei Wan already has one of the most detailed mid ranges I have heard and I feel BH just helps add to that. On top of that you can notice extra separation between the notes without making them feel like they're being stretched or coming off as thinner. Bass dynamics also are notably improved which was my favorite part of testing as I felt Fei Wan bass dynamics are already some of the best I have heard in general. In general it does a great job at improvement overall end to end extension. For a copper cable I hear it to stay rather neutral/not enforcing its own "sound" on the IEM, which was what I was looking for. Whereas something like Orpheus has a much stronger presence on whatever you plug it in to. I wanted Fei Wan to sound like Fei Wan but... better (?), I was also mostly just chasing a nicer cable in general as I find the stock cable to be meh.

Ergo when moving around are fantastic, the cable has a nice thickness and weight to it without coming off as obtrusive. It's also incredibly supple and a joy to handle and look at. All the NightJar cables I tested at CanJam including the beast that was Sovereign Symphony were very nice in terms of handling.

IMG_7580.jpegIMG_7581.jpeg

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #71,822 of 91,357
What are you guys using for music discovery? Qobuz doesn't seem ideal for that, but I've been supplementing with Pitchfork, Last.FM, and links that I see posted in various places. I've probably got a ton of blind spots though.
I mainly use Tidal for my discovery and Apple music come close on 2nd place and so far I'm in a good hands. Rarely use my Qobuz because I need to use VPN to listen on Qobuz 😂
Oh and I use Shazam too when I hear a good music on a public place and then search it on a streaming apps 😁
Tidal’s algorithm recommendations are usually pretty spot on for me. I listen to the “My Daily Discovery” list every day and almost always find at least one or two interesting things.

“Suggested New Tracks” & “Suggested New Albums” are both great at surfacing new releases from artists the algorithm knows I like, while challenging me with stuff I might not have clicked on otherwise.

These algorithms are like any other tool, and can be as good or bad as the individual using them. 😉

Oh, and I also listen to a couple of great internet radio stations KEXP and RRR

https://kexp.org/

https://www.rrr.org.au/
Yep, same with me. The Tidal and Apple Music recommendation are quite good for me so far, and KEXP is a good place to search for a not so mainstream artist and they have a good recording quality too IMO. I like their channel on youtube 👍
Are you trying to be insulting, or did I read this wrong? I've been a computer engineer for over 23 years.
Sorry brother I didn't mean to insult you, but I'm sure there's someone out there doing the same thing for many years and didn't realize that he/she's been doing it the wrong way until it's too late 😉

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #71,823 of 91,357
I won’t get to test it again until later but… 😍

IMG_7576.jpegIMG_7577.jpegIMG_7578.jpeg
1. How do u get one of these?
2. How much are we talking about here?
3. That would look beautiful with my mentors.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #71,824 of 91,357
1. How do u get one of these?
2. How much are we talking about here?
3. That would look beautiful with my mentors.

1) I placed my order at CanJam Dallas with @Subtonic Ken but maybe try PM him or @Chang

2) MSRP for the 2W I believe is $1400 and 4W is $2200, which is what I paid (I have the 4 wire)

3) Yes it would 😍

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #71,825 of 91,357
I'll be honest I don't plan on A/B'ing them at all since I already did that at CanJam, but going from stock to BH 4 wire just now the most immediate thing that sticks out is that it feels there's a sort of veil lifted off of the sound. Fei Wan already has one of the most detailed mid ranges I have heard and I feel BH just helps add to that. On top of that you can notice extra separation between the notes without making them feel like they're being stretched or coming off as thinner. Bass dynamics also are notably improved which was my favorite part of testing as I felt Fei Wan bass dynamics are already some of the best I have heard in general. In general it does a great job at improvement overall end to end extension. For a copper cable I hear it to stay rather neutral/not enforcing its own "sound" on the IEM, which was what I was looking for. Whereas something like Orpheus has a much stronger presence on whatever you plug it in to. I wanted Fei Wan to sound like Fei Wan but... better (?), I was also mostly just chasing a nicer cable in general as I find the stock cable to be meh.

Ergo when moving around are fantastic, the cable has a nice thickness and weight to it without coming off as obtrusive. It's also incredibly supple and a joy to handle and look at. All the NightJar cables I tested at CanJam including the beast that was Sovereign Symphony were very nice in terms of handling.

IMG_7580.jpegIMG_7581.jpeg
This cable is basically made for my Fei wan xD

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #71,827 of 91,357
Nov 27, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #71,828 of 91,357
They are actually members of Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam backing those awesome vocals. Lots of talent, glad someone else likes it, too!
Thanks for the recommendation, I just added to my play que. :beerchug:

This is another great thing about this forum, music recommendations that I wouldn't have found on my own. I'm just finishing an album by Zero 7, When It Falls. And another album by them I like is Simple Things, especially the song Out of Town.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #71,830 of 91,357
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #71,832 of 91,357
Oh and I use Shazam too when I hear a good music on a public place and then search it on a streaming apps 😁

Yes! Me too. I have found a surprising amount of music I like doing that. Sometimes it's even an exciting, pressure situation where you are trying to complete the process before the song is over(if it's in an ad or something). I can hear the Mission Impossible music just thinking about it. :runner:

I appreciate all the tips everyone posted, thank you!

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #71,833 of 91,357
Okay, so far, here's who I've got down who are interested in a SoCal Watercooler meet.

Did I absentmindedly forget anybody? @timeslip, are you anywhere near us that you might want to join in?

IMO, all DAPs should have a hold button. It's just common sense really.

Tangentially related to music discovery, this book seems like a pretty interesting read:

1701125310832.png

Going to be a great time!

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #71,834 of 91,357
Did I absentmindedly forget anybody?
I’m in SF

When are you guys planning to meet up? Apologies if I missed it…Depending on when, I could possibly take a flight down to the LA area..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back