The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #70,471 of 87,782
Very pleased to report that my CDs have arrived.

Too bad, my Shanling EC mini is still stuck at customs (but I should receive it soon).

Unlikely this will become a new rabbit hole but had to give the EC mini a go and experiment a bit with CDs and IEMs for the sake of nostalgia if nothing else, since I got into music via audio cassettes and then CDs.

Will report back on the EC Mini after it arrives!

Always nice for purchases to arrive safely! If I like the music then FM radio is fine, however, and not intentionally being that messenger, have you given consideration to pressings with good mastering dynamic range. Some modern CDs crush the dynamic range by making everything louder, which initially might seem better. The exception is normally classical and jazz CDs as those labels typically respect good recording and mastering techniques.

Some remasters leave things alone. Then there are modern re-releases that might have lesser mastering or dynamic range, however, they bundle new bonus tracks, recording studio outtakes, live sessions, photos and so on that fans might value. I strongly advise against this path of tracking down OOP well reviewed pressings as it is a financial hole.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #70,472 of 87,782
Yeah Linsoul also shows it as sold out too (and the listed price is $132 on Linsoul). I placed the link so that it gives photos and details of the Dunu cable. Hopefully you can find it somewhere online. Also, please try it with any pure silver cable.

Dunu Blanche is ergonomic, lightweight (except for the Y splitter that increases the weight) & comfortable. And more importantly priced on the very low end.

Was I surprised to find the synergy with MSE! All those mids and treble extension are there in MSE and this cable just brings them out. I'm not pairing another cable on MSE for now :)
Dunu Blanche has been discontinued by Dunu. There may be remnant stocks floating around but there are becoming rare. $132 is a really good price. I think it was three times the price at launch.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #70,473 of 87,782
For those that purchased Fatfreq iems, have you been able to get in contact with Fatfreq? Fatfreq were supposed to send Grand Maestro Saturday. I've contacted them multiple times to get the tracking number and confirm they sent it with no response. Have anyone else been able to contact them or can provide any experiences?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #70,474 of 87,782
For those that purchased Fatfreq iems, have you been able to get in contact with Fatfreq? Fatfreq were supposed to send Grand Maestro Saturday. I've contacted them multiple times to get the tracking number and confirm they sent it with no response. Have anyone else been able to contact them or can provide any experiences?
Sadly this is par for the course with FF. Hopefully they get back to you soon. 🙄

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #70,475 of 87,782
My left MM just came lose from the cable and fell to the ground causing a nice mark on it. There goes any chance if selling them.
I hate my life

20231114_075423.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #70,476 of 87,782
My left MM just vane lose from the cable and fell to the ground causing a nice mark on it. There goes any chance if selling them.
I hate my life

20231114_075423.jpg
It should be easy to cover up, IIRC in the Noble thread an appropriate lacquer was linked :)

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #70,477 of 87,782
My left MM just vane lose from the cable and fell to the ground causing a nice mark on it. There goes any chance if selling them.
I hate my life

20231114_075423.jpg
Yikes! Might be worth sending them in for a repolish, if it makes financial sense.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #70,478 of 87,782
In case anyone missed it, there is another high end (and high priced) IEM maker, well not really a new one.

Custom Arts has a new sister brand by the name PMG audio. Their firet iem is named apx, price is half a kidney or so.

IEM addict rejoice, resistance is futile.
*Looks at exchange rate* Desire lost.

Also massive Woz vibes there with that "Rejoice"

In other news, Gladiator has dropped a new cable. Also bragging rights as the product pics are of my freshly made cable.

https://gladiatorcables.com/caesar-line/p/aurelius-oro

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #70,479 of 87,782
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #70,481 of 87,782
I hate my life

20231114_075423.jpg
Its an easy repair if you have a Dremel with the polishing tool. It is also doable by hand with a cotton pad and toothpaste.
Also a watch repair shop could help with polishing the scratch mark.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #70,482 of 87,782
Its an easy repair if you have a Dremel with the polishing tool. It is also doable by hand with a cotton pad and toothpaste.

Might also be cracked or chipped. So I contacted UM and will see what they say.
I don't have the skill, patience or skill to attempt repair myself. I'm better off not touching them again in case my cursed life makes it worse.

I'm just more pissed it likely tanked any resale value they had. As much as I love them, I'm also stuck with them now. I'm already stuck with my Oscar's that I can't give away, really didn't want a second pair I can't recoup some of what I paid.
:rage:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #70,483 of 87,782
I'd caution using a dremel because there is carbon fibre weaves under the acrylic.

Definitely might need some lacquer applied if the mark has gone passed acrylic.

I reckon your best bet is to reach out to UM before tinkering yourself - very hard to polish a hybrid surface material.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #70,484 of 87,782

Users who are viewing this thread

Back