The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #66,706 of 88,279
A vote for Anni, thanks ... and yes Mentor may be getting taken off the chopping block, depending on the outcome of this exercise :L3000:
I hope to receive Annihilator next week and then I can weigh in on all of them. For now, if I had to sell one of the other three (Traillii, Jewel, Mentor) it would be the Mentor. It’s good but it gives me fewer wow moments than the other two. This is all very personal of course, dependent on taste, music preferences etc. They’re all very good. Best approach imo is always to buy to try for yourself and sell if it’s not your thing. The used price of a Jewel has declined, so there is that.. 😊

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #66,707 of 88,279
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #66,710 of 88,279
1697230192194.png

How do you guys feel about putting together an official Watercooler playlist?

Maybe we can all contribute some tracks to it, to cover many genres or various audio qualities that we listen for. This way, manufacturers and exhibitors can have those tracks downloaded and available at all CanJams and events - thus circumventing any show wi-fi issues.

Perhaps we can even come up with two lists - one list of perennial reference tracks, and one rotating seasonal list to account for whatever earworm is burrowing through our brains at the moment?

Just a thought.
Genius .

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #66,711 of 88,279
Which one has better sub bass?
Depends on the music you listened to. Generally I wouldn't say the XE6 has that good of a sub bass, and I will stretch it out to say it won't be your first option if you want to listen to bass.

The kinetic bass is fun to listen to, but the thick lower mids just takes the spotlight away from the bass every single time for me.

While Grand Maestro does have a HEAVY emphasis on sub bass, it's tuning is lean for the mid bass. For sounds such as acoustic kicks, it sounds rather boomy as a result. But for straight sub bass goodness, it will really shine.

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #66,712 of 88,279
Good evening everyone

I hope you are all well, Weekend question,

If you could only choose just 1 iem an All-rounder and Good or excellent in almost everything, what would you say....

Have a great weekend to everyone 💥👍

For myself and my personal needs, I would take the Campfire Trifecta. I understand that this is an outlier view. The Fir Rn6 is probably the best generalist rec based on my own tastes I would make. If I had to make a mainstream audiophile grade rec without requiring a DD I would say the Phonix LE or the Traillii.

Money no object possibly the UM Amber Pearl.

Sub $2k for a great all rounder with a bit of flavor the Campfire Bonneville.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #66,713 of 88,279
If you could only choose just 1 iem

But whhyyyy??? 😦 I'd arm myself to fight against the zombie apocalypse, the one that has surely descended upon us, such that we could only have one IEM each.

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #66,714 of 88,279
Incoming, look forward to trying these out… hopefully I don’t like any of them 😬

IMG_8073.jpeg

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #66,715 of 88,279
The Fir Rn6 is probably the best generalist rec based on my own tastes I would make.

I definitely agree with that, especially in a vacuum without knowing someone's musical tastes. :thumbsup:

😂 Reviewer "discount codes" lol!

Also, since we're in a musical mood today, here's something I just discovered:

If anybody there seems familiar, why yes, that is Michael Ricci of xMEMS on the five-string bass. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #66,716 of 88,279
I definitely agree with that, especially in a vacuum without knowing someone's musical tastes. :thumbsup:

😂 Reviewer "discount codes" lol!

Also, since we're in a musical mood today, here's something I just discovered:

If anybody there seems familiar, why yes, that is Michael Ricci of xMEMS on the six-string bass. :relaxed:

Only a loaner (only the lonely now playing in my head…) - but knowing me I’ll end up wanting to buy one 🫣

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #66,718 of 88,279
If that’s the cable (looks exactly like RN6’s exclusive copper shielded silver) that ends up included with E12, it’s an instant buy for me LOL 🤭
I have the stock RN6 cable for sale if interested.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #66,719 of 88,279
A survey or sheet collecting this would be terrific, there are so many great rec's here. My go-to's for evaluating IEMs:

Beatles "Abbey Road" - in particular Come Together for low-end, Here Comes The Son for treble/sibilance, and Because for mids/male vocal
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" - in particular Go Your Own Way for treble/sibilance/vocals
David Crosby "If Only I Could Remember My Name" all songs, for mids/male vocals and acoustic timbre
Diana Krall 'When I Look In Your Eyes" all songs for mids/acoustic timbre/female vocal

Edit: @warrenpchi a big Yes to a Watercooler playlist!
+1 for 'Come Together'

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #66,720 of 88,279
Good evening everyone

I hope you are all well, Weekend question,

If you could only choose just 1 iem an All-rounder and Good or excellent in almost everything, what would you say....

Have a great weekend to everyone 💥👍
As many have mentioned, the RN6, with the tuning modules, would likely be a top all-round contender. One that I love, that plays everything I listen to very well, with balance and great tonality, is the Nostalgia Camelot. Plus, relatively speaking, it won't break the bank! It's a great all rounder, IMO.

Edit: Yes, @Scuba Devils , I agree!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back