The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 13, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #63,032 of 88,522
Here I can also confirm that Ronin is not microdynamically pronounced. However, I think that in this case it would be misleading to talk about "thinness" or to even consider this as a "weakness". In fact, because of this I find Ronin more resolving than Mentor or The Bird, it has better imaging (qua instrument separation and distinction), more air in the soundstage, which in turn is much wider. In other words, Ronin has fantastic microdynamics for me (so better than Mentor or The Bird). It's also worth noting the fact that the macrodynamics - not lacking for me even with the stock cable - improve noticeably with a different cable. Ronin's stock is 2w, Mentor's or The Bird's 4w.

On the other hand, I can imagine that you can somehow notice a certain thiness due to the natural timbre. But conversely, this is probably more due to having otherwise more bass-driven IEMs? In any case, I notice a strong contrast in timbre when I compare Ronin to Mentor or The Bird. Still, Ronin sounds more... "correct"? "coherent"?
+1

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #63,033 of 88,522
darn, seeiously considering closing my listing on traillii now. too many signs that i may regret it. today i will a/b with mentor and make my mind up.

Traillii, perhaps alone among the IEMs released in the past 4 years, seems destined for that elite realm of timeless and universal appeal occupied by the likes of u12t and IER-Z1R.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #63,034 of 88,522
Aful Flagship. Oh boy this is definitely worth talking. Imagine an iem with U12t's tuning and U18t's technicalities. An neutral + bass boost iem with top of the line technicalities at a jaw-dropping price. Be it smoother, not crazy to say a potential flagship killer.
Very curious about the Aful flagship and the Limited 64 Audio Nio Galaxy Limited!

It appears Aful has been supplanting Moondrop as the new price-to-performance ratio king. Moondrop hasn't coming out with anything meaningful (IMO) in quite some time though it remains to be seen how the Solis 2 is received. And even the Solis 2 isn't priced as a value offering but rather as a true flagship.

I was going to pull on a MMK3 but maybe I'll wait to hear more about some of the IEMs you listed.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #63,035 of 88,522
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #63,036 of 88,522
Yeah the TI version retail is just a slap in the face I feel.

I also felt the orphy pricing was a slap in the face but then I trialed it and got owned.

Market is market, sooner or later the people will revolt with their wallets closing up for good. 8500 for an IEM though, very very hard to swallow.
sometimes i am thinking to myself that i could have bought myself an HE-1 and relaxed instead of trial and error many totl daps/cables/iems. oriolus at least doesnt come up with updates every 6 months or year... at least that i respect.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #63,037 of 88,522
sometimes i am thinking to myself that i could have bought myself an HE-1 and relaxed instead of trial and error many totl daps/cables/iems. oriolus at least doesnt come up with updates every 6 months or year... at least that i respect.
At the same time though the trial and error for some is part of the fun not to mention he1 chains you down and not allow portability.

I have 100 percent moved away from headphones and have never been happier. My personal reasonings were that IEMS much more practical for me in the sense that I can move around the house rather than to be chained down. If I want to be chained down I am going all out and listen to 2 channel. It was extremely liberating for me personally to give up headphones as if the golden hand cuffs were removed. I was always prior being in the camp of headphones > IEMs all day, it is interesting how opinions and beliefs change so 180 over time.

Something about IEMs are "funner" and "lighter" and "less serious" which is why partially this thread is so active outside the fact that it is a good thread with good people.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #63,038 of 88,522
Question: does anyone have their audio collection covered with insurance? I keep meaning to, but not sure how best to go about it as things are often in and out of the collection, but the overall value stays somewhat the same.

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #63,039 of 88,522
Question: does anyone have their audio collection covered with insurance? I keep meaning to, but not sure how best to go about it as things are often in and out of the collection, but the overall value stays somewhat the same.
Mine is covered. It’s part of my home content insurance, specified in terms of value.

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #63,040 of 88,522
Just finished a session with Singularity and M6U with this utterly fantastic album - there really is nothing like being completely immersed in music when you’ve got this perfect synergy of album, source and IEM.

Rather than attempt to describe the album, I’ve dropped the Bandcamp blurb below… highly recommended - and choose an IEM that digs deeeeeep on sub.

Tidal - HERE

IMG_7040.jpeg

I noticed you had Svanar as well! Super curious at how you’d compare the two!

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #63,041 of 88,522
On the go summer companion.

299CB220-99A8-43B6-ABEC-045A2AD7C786.jpeg

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #63,043 of 88,522
Aug 13, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #63,045 of 88,522

Users who are viewing this thread

Back