The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 13, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #63,016 of 88,243
Hello Everyone...Long time no see... :)

Finally back in Australia and with a minute to share the return Journey back.

Coming back from Argentina we decided to do a "detour" to get a layover in NY. Best decision ever... I felt like I was on an episode of Sienfield or How I Met Your Mother. Really Nostalgic.

IMG_6791.jpeg

Loved it and I can't wait to get back.

Coincidently I found out that the legendary @MusicTeck is just next door to it. So, I managed to negotiate with the boss a quick pass to say hi and get something. Some emails exchanged and I decided to get a Diva on my visit... Getting there on a last minute stop before heading to the airport, the guys convinced me to do a quick demo on a few products and I couldn't resist:

- Cayin N7 - Quite a chunky DAP, but not as heavy as my SP3k and also not as elegant. On what it matters, it does sound really good and smooth. Can't say much as I was on a hurry, so I didn't get into details. But I would like to spend more time with it one day.

- Nostalgia Audio Camelot - Beautiful and well built IEM. The fit was also really good. I had no expectations about it sound, how surprised I was after a couple songs, it sounded great. Deep and resolving low end, not overwhelming. Upper end is detailed and expanded, with a slight outside the head soundstage. Definitely something that I would like to spend more time with it.

- Noble Audio Ronin - Didn’t like at all…upper frequencies are not my taste. Sounded too thin.

- Elysian Diva 2023 - Great IEM, but I will wait for Anni (when my bank is recovered from last batch of purchases). Well tuned and balanced IEM, impressive what was done with 5- drivers.

- UM Mentor - This one is Goaty as everyone have been saying for a few months now. Controlled and detailed low ends, soundstage for ages and vocals like the singer is siting on the same room. Pinpoint imaging. Paired with AK SP3k is just another level in sound. Loved the design and sound of it...

IMG_7939.jpeg

Well...I went to Musicteck decided to get a the Elysian Diva and walked out with an UM Mentor. Now waiting to get my @Benno1988 Cardas Clear cable to match with it. :p

But that's not all...Getting home, I had something else waiting for me:

UM Mest MK3

This thing is a fox in sheepskin. The low end is the star of the show for me, DD sound right. the upper end is well detailed and textured. but behind Mentor in every matter. If I didn't have Mentor, I would be happy with Mest Mk3 for sure.

The new @EffectAudio fusion gave a deeper "thump" Lower mid push to complement the sub lows well defined of Mest. It can be noticeable the upper end expansion and opening that this cable gives to Mest as well. Great Pairing, but still not on the level of improvements as Fusion 1 matched with 64a A12t (more on that later). Mest sounded best with PW Deep of the Universe (Mentor's cable), definitely worth a try if you have both IEMs.

IMG_0020.jpeg

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #63,018 of 88,243
Just out of curiosity, sparked party by crinacles ranking update:

Anyone here that compared Elysian Annihilator 2021 vs 2023?

I will probably never own one but I think it looks neat :)
I found the 2021 a bit diffuse/airy, meaning instruments were softer and wispier; lightweight and not solid in body. It was also u-shaped to assist its spherical imaging. The 2023 version is meatier - more tactile or physical-sounding - and its midrange is positioned a bit further forward as well. I think it’s the best execution of that all-rounder, airy, clear-but-smooth, Andro, U18t, Jomo sort-of tonality that was popular just before the hybrid resurgence.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #63,019 of 88,243
the level has now gotten so high that I would have a hard time investing a lot of money into something new
this is so true. the curve is getting steeper each time. now we’re talking here 8k + items (new cayin, mjolnir, traillii ti…). why because they can impose these prices with success (myself included).
for me personally, it’s nearing the level that i’m willing to leave this “hobby” behind. has been short lived but with full intensity.

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #63,020 of 88,243
this is so true. the curve is getting steeper each time. now we’re talking here 8k + items (new cayin, mjolnir, traillii ti…). why because they can impose these prices with success (myself included).
for me personally, it’s nearing the level that i’m willing to leave this “hobby” behind. has been short lived but with full intensity.
Yeah the TI version retail is just a slap in the face I feel.

I also felt the orphy pricing was a slap in the face but then I trialed it and got owned.

Market is market, sooner or later the people will revolt with their wallets closing up for good. 8500 for an IEM though, very very hard to swallow.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #63,021 of 88,243
Dear Watercoolers,
I am here to share my impressions of 2023 HKAV show. It is just wonderful to demo top of the line gear in a single show!

This review will be pretty long, so why not start with highlights of the show?

2023 HKAV show impressions - Part 1: IEMs

Vision Ears VEX.
One thing to add is that VEX is very cable-sensitive. Equipped with baseline SPC cable, it sounds mid-forwardish neutral. With stock cable, it sounds warm neutral. With Chiron Nova, it sounds neutral with a hint of brightness. I personally like the pairing with stock cable, showcasing an organic signature.
Just compiled my impressions on VEX :)

Impressions on VEX:
Tuning:
Neutral with VE signature mids.

Sound profile:
Lows:
Good slam and attack. I hear more mid bass than sub bass. Could have more extension as a DD.
Mids: VE signature, warm and lush as usual. It does sound a bit thinner compared with other VE models due to more treble.
Treble: Smooth yet extended. Air is sufficient but not excessive. Just well-tuned.

Technicalities:
Soundstage:
Great width and depth.
Resolution: Great. Flagship level resolution to me.
Layering and positioning: Good. Sounds can be discerned from one another.
Dynamics: Good. The DD definitely took a big role.
VE8 vs VEX
TLDR: VEX excels VE8 in highs and technicalities.

Sound profile:
Lows
: VEX has better slam, while VE8 has a slight edge in attack. VE8's BA bass is still among the bests to me.
Mids: VEX is slightly thinner than VE8. I personally believe this is influenced by VEX's highs. Thus VE8 is relatively more soulful, while VEX is comparatively more accurate.
Highs: VEX is the winner. Smooth yet with sufficient extension. VE8 sounds a bit recessed.

Technicalities:
VEX > VE8 in terms of detail, soundstage, dynamics and layering. Resolution is an apparent step-up.

Vision Ears X Astell & Kern Aura. Warm with a minor treble boost. In short Phonix OG with less mids and more revealing mid-highs. Highs are clear and natural, just wished it could have more extension.

Jomo Audio Alpha Ti. Mild V-shaped with boosted bass. Fun and exciting, suiting genres like EDM and pop.

Oriolus Trailli Ti. Warm and organic with slightly forward mid highs. Great technicalities with awesome dynamics and good resolution, soundstage and staging. Unfortunately it did not take my heart. I personally find it not as smooth and harmonized as Multiverse Mentor or Phonix.

Noble Audio Ronin Prestige. Warm and thick with forward mids. Compared with Ronin OG, Prestige sounds warmer and fuller with slightly bigger soundstage.

Noble Audio Viking Prestige. Bright with great technicalities. Compared with Viking Ragnar, Prestige is less sharp with enhanced technicalities (especially soundstage).

Noble Audio Stage 3. Relatively neutral with slight treble boost. Wide soundstage and accurate staging.

Noble Audio Spartacus. Warm neutral with slight treble boost. Good fit, but BCDs do not sound that apparent unfortunately.

Empire Ears Raven. An iem combining traits of Odin and Odyssey. A treble-boosted Odyssey with in your face presentation (though not as in-your-face as Odin).
Empire Ears Raven vs Empire Ears Odyssey

Empire Ears Raven Flagship 12 Driver Quadbrid IEMs | Bloom Audio
AK and EE Odyssey

1. Ergonomics.
Raven is apparently larger than Odyssey. With relatively small ears I can barely fit Odyssey into my ear canal, not to mention Raven.
Raven is subjectively heavier than Odyssey as well. I may

2. Sound.
Tuning.
I hear both iems to have a warm and balanced tuning. They share similar but not identical traits.

Sound profile.
Bass:
Similar. Both have top of the line attack and decay. I do hear Odyssey to have more decay, given its BCD works better on me with a smaller shell.
Mids: Odyssey is warmer, while Raven has more upper mids, reminiscent of Odin. I may say Raven's mids mildly warm without being as forward as Odin.
Highs: Odyssey is darker, while Raven has more sparkle. Raven has a slight edge in extension

Technicalities.
Soundstage and Resolution: Raven > Odyssey. I suspect this is because of Raven's treble being more revealing.
Layering and Dynamics: Similar.

3. Conclusion.
I am a believer of frequency graphs. in fact I demoed both iems before knowing how similar both graphs look. According to my ears, both iems DO sound different, though similar indeed. I may regard these differences to two factors:
1) Fit. Equipped with BCD drivers, fit is undoubtedly important. The fitter the shell, the more vibration can the listener feel. Having Odyssey as the better fit, I do feel more sub-bass than Raven.
2) Cable. I am not here to flame the war on cables; just sharing what I hear. Ares ii gives Odyssey a warmer and darker signature, while the unknown PWA cable provides Raven with more sparkle and air, with a slice of PW's signature mids.

(TLDR: Major difference between the two lies in treble. Raven has more mid-high presence, while Odyssey is darker.)

Aroma Audio Feiwan. Neutral with bass boost. Satisfying mid-bass but slightly lacking sub-bass. Technicalities are great, but staging and soundstage could be better. I personally find Jewel to be more satisfying with better technicalities and extended treble.

NGaudio Khaos, Erebus, Hercules, Eurus+. All 4 sound pretty neutral, with Erebus being darker and Eurus+ being bass boosted and slightly mid forward. Technicalities are sufficient.
What NGaudio iems stand out to me though are their cleanness. They have an extremely dark background with discernable sounds. Amazing.

64audio NIO Galaxy Limited. An organic and musical Nio with similar technicalities. Bass is well-controlled, with precise attack and decay. Easily top of the line bass. Great job 64audio!

Unique Melody Amber Pearl. A Multiverse Mentor with more treble and slightly better technicalities. Highs are smooth and well-extended. Among the best iems indeed.

Unique Melody Mest MK III. Neutral with treble boost. Technicalities are pretty good. A strong contender at ~$1900.

flipears Aether & Zurq. Both are V-shaped with bass boost. I do find Aether to be more revealing than Zurq. Technicalities are on the line.

flipears Artha. Interchangeable tuning, ranging from neutral to V-shaped. Turning switches on/off do give a discernable sound profile. Equipped with sufficient technicalities, Artha is no doubt an interesting iem at ~$1500.

Hiby Zeta. Mild V-shaped with good bass and treble extension. Could be a strong contender if it has a smoother presentation.

Madoo Typ512 and Typ821. Both sound relatively warm and thick, with Typ821 being more transparent and having better technicalities.

Acoustune HS2000MXmkii (ACT05). Mild V-shaped with good technicalities as a single DD.

Moondrop Beautiful World. Moondrop VDSF tuning with sufficient but not excessive air. Easily recommended if it had more bass and better soundstage.

Moondrop Solis II. Mid-forwardish with great technicalities. Interesting to say this would be a good complement to Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon, for which depicts instruments accurately. Shell is heavy though because of silver.

Moondrop Chu II. V-shaped with forward mid-highs. Technicalities are pretty good at ~$15 though.

Rhapsodio Supreme V3. Warm with several treble peaks. Technicalities are pretty good, with an interesting speaker-like presentation.

Nostalgia Audio Camelot Luna (CN limited) (i.e. Nostalgia Audio Camelot + PW Audio 1960MKii 2wire). Slightly thick with organic highs. I personally prefer Camelot pairing up with Lancelot which gives more extension in bass and treble.

Fir Audio Ar4. A neutral Ne4. Reminiscent of Xe6 transiting to Rn6.

Fir Audio E12. This is an iem with a single 12mm DD. Interesting signature, reminiscent of Trifecta.

Aful Flagship. Oh boy this is definitely worth talking. Imagine an iem with U12t's tuning and U18t's technicalities. An neutral + bass boost iem with top of the line technicalities at a jaw-dropping price. Be it smoother, not crazy to say a potential flagship killer.

Thieaudio Monarch MKIII. Neutral with bass boost. Technicalities are good, but I do hear occasion hints of sibilance.

Thieaudio V16 Divinity LTD. Neutral with great staging and soundstage. Occasion hints of sibilance are heard.

Starry Audio Yoru. Neutral with enhanced upper mids that suits anisong vocals.

Syphonium Meteor, Dunu SA6 MKII. Both are neutral with SA6 MKII having slightly forward mids. Good technicalities for both, I do believe SA6 MKII has an edge in resolution and soundstage.

Letshuoer Cadenza 12. Mild V-shaped with satisfying technicalities.

My personal highlights were VEX and NIO Galaxy Limited. Perhaps...shut up and take my money!:money_with_wings::L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #63,022 of 88,243
- Noble Audio Ronin - Didn’t like at all…upper frequencies are not my taste. Sounded too thin.
Interesting. I don't know that I've ever heard the Ronin called thin. I think you mean specifically the upper frequencies? While certainly not the star of the show, to my ears, the treble is not thin. Natural, I would say, avoiding the e-stat tizz I hear on so many sets... Maybe not wildly airy. But thin? Hm. Wonder what tips it had on it...

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #63,023 of 88,243
Fir Audio E12. This is an iem with a single 12mm DD. Interesting signature, reminiscent of Trifecta.

Hold on...what? A 12mm single DD from Fir (that sounds like Trifecta no less)? Is this a prototype or a limited release? Whatever it is I want one.

Also we've hit 107 submissions...you all rock. Still another 12 hours or so left, so keep voting :D

https://forms.gle/wdNCUNwTv6WCzqPy9

Edit: Thanks for those great impressions!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #63,024 of 88,243
Hold on...what? A 12mm single DD from Fir (that sounds like Trifecta no less)? Is this a prototype or a limited release? Whatever it is I want one.

Also we've hit 107 submissions...you all rock. Still another 12 hours or so left, so keep voting :D

https://forms.gle/wdNCUNwTv6WCzqPy9
It is a prototype at the moment. It does remind me of Trifecta, though with more mid bass and darker treble.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #63,025 of 88,243
Interesting. I don't know that I've ever heard the Ronin called thin. I think you mean specifically the upper frequencies? While certainly not the star of the show, to my ears, the treble is not thin. Natural, I would say, avoiding the e-stat tizz I hear on so many sets... Maybe not wildly airy. But thin? Hm. Wonder what tips it had on it...
+1, I also don't think Ronin is thin at all.

Not only the question about the tips, but also about the fit: did Ronin really fit well? And what source was used?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #63,027 of 88,243
+1, I also don't think Ronin is thin at all.

Not only the question about the tips, but also about the fit: did Ronin really fit well? And what source was used?
I can kinda see where the thin bit is coming from, but not from the typical, little mid-bass = thin midrange sorta way. When I auditioned Ronin, I got the feeling that its notes didn't stand out particularly clearly against the background. They were a bit misty or hazy, rather than solid, corporeal instruments that stood on their own. Another guy I talked to agreed that the Ronin's main weakness was macrodynamics, where instruments were reluctant to leap off the background and jump towards you. In that way, I can see where it's thin, in that it isn't particularly bold or slam-y when it attacks. That said, you did mention fit, and the Ronin was a struggle to fit properly in my ears. That could very well be why I'm hearing what I'm hearing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #63,028 of 88,243
Currents standings. I think this is the first time an IEM has scored over 30 points in any of our polls.

Survey link for those still interested: https://forms.gle/Ds94FsjELNtZrVAF8

Rn6 x31

Traillii x28
IER-Z1R x25

Mentor x19
Xe6 x18
Ronin x15
Viking x15
Singularity x15
Annihilator x14
Storm x14
Phönix/LE x13
Trifecta x13
Odin x12
u/a12t x12
EXT x10
Supermoon x10
Jewel x10

IE900 x8
Neon Pro x8
Grand Maestro x7
Odyssey x7
Maestro SE x7
Indigo x7
Legend X x7
Diva x6
u4s x6
VE X x5
Solaris x5
IE600 x5
Tia Trio x5
Andromeda x5
Kr5 x5

Mason FS/Fusang x4
Raven x4
Elysium x4
Legend EVO x4
Aure x4
Turii/Ti x4
Penon10th x4
Aurora x4
VE8 x4
Helios x4
Blanc x3
DC Ti x3
Fourte x3
Impact x3
Kublai Khan x3
Monarch Mkii/iii x3
Aura x3
Camelot x3
Duo x3
Perpetua x3
IER-M9 x3
Fibae 5 x2
Serial x2
Vega2020 x2
Elysian X x2
Mest OG/ii/iii x2
SA6/Mkii x2
a8000 x2
Elrkonig x2
P Zero x2

24kgold
622b
9ine
a18s
a18t
a4s
a5000
airpods
andromedagold
anolev14
aurum
basilica
bc2023
blessing2
butastur
cadenza 12
canon
dio
dusk
dorado2020
e5000
eden
er4xr
er2se
er4b
est50
fibae6
fibae7u
fibaeblack
fu7
fw1500
fw 10000
gaea
gl-amt16
globe
goldplanaramt
hakuya
ier-m7
ie300
kse1200
lcdi4
loak-tc
lokiemerald
lyra
mach60
madoo512
madoo821
mentawai
meteor
na12
performer8
phantom
promissionx
quartett
Red Halo
quintet
rosenkranzsilverka
se846gen2
sharona
sho
sr8
supernova
superior
supreme 3
te-5b
tg334
tgxearcarbon
thummim
twilight
twx9
u6t
unity
variations
ve7

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #63,029 of 88,243
Another guy I talked to agreed that the Ronin's main weakness was macrodynamics, where instruments were reluctant to leap off the background and jump towards you. In that way, I can see where it's thin, in that it isn't particularly bold or slam-y when it attacks.
Here I can also confirm that Ronin is not microdynamically pronounced. However, I think that in this case it would be misleading to talk about "thinness" or to even consider this as a "weakness". In fact, because of this I find Ronin more resolving than Mentor or The Bird, it has better imaging (qua instrument separation and distinction), more air in the soundstage, which in turn is much wider. In other words, Ronin has fantastic microdynamics for me (so better than Mentor or The Bird). It's also worth noting the fact that the macrodynamics - not lacking for me even with the stock cable - improve noticeably with a different cable. Ronin's stock is 2w, Mentor's or The Bird's 4w.

On the other hand, I can imagine that you can somehow notice a certain thiness due to the natural timbre. But conversely, this is probably more due to having otherwise more bass-driven IEMs? In any case, I notice a strong contrast in timbre when I compare Ronin to Mentor or The Bird. Still, Ronin sounds more... "correct"? "coherent"?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back