The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #62,086 of 87,715
Gotta say I'm interested in the singularity as well though I really really really don't particularly want to spend $1300 on an iem right now.

The graph I have seen looks like it has some similarities to some of the fat freq iems, specifically that bass looks like it has a healthy boost that is more subbass focused. And I do love me some bass. The maestro mini I have is nice, but I have found a few reasons not to use them as much anymore, namely I find the sound a bit thin overall and have pressure build up with them. The singularity marketing material seems to indicate they are vented, so can anyone speak to pressure in the ear? And again whether the bass is mostly subbass focused or whether mids are nice and full as well.

I also haven't seen too much about size and fit. Can anyone speak to that? My ears are super picky when it comes to comfort especially for larger iems or iems that are bulkier down near the stem.
I tried a couple FF IEMs last week, and they definitely have a lighter, somewhat scooped midrange to them. The Singularity will come off fuller, more weighted and balanced, but it doesn’t go too far in the other direction either, so it’s clear and quick, still. Pressure-wise, I think it’s no different than your average, single-DD UIEM. Size-wise, they’re pretty small. I’d say they’re close to 64’s UIEMs, but the thicker, slightly-angled nozzles make them sit more securely and comfortably in my ears, personally.

‘Glad to see more and more Singularity posts fill the thread. I’ll be chiming in too very, very soon. :wink:

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #62,087 of 87,715
I hear the tuning as a mild L-shape, or neutral with a bass boost. The bass quality is simply excellent. It hits incredibly hard, with proper speed and texture. Mids are well balanced and sound natural, without any lower mid mud or upper mid shout. Treble sounds clear, sparkly and airy.
Eh, I've had it for a year now in a 25$ iem..
1690525580081.png

I think market is pretty saturated now. It really is difficult to come up with new tuning, only driver quality/configuration rules nowadays. I'm sure Singularity has better technicalities or less distortion on high gain, but I can't deny the similarities of people impressions of Singularity with how I hear qkz hbb. So, if you can't afford kilobuck iem, here's a good alternative!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #62,088 of 87,715
Have you actually heard both iems though? I haven't heard the one you're mentioning so I can't comment, but there are many iems that graph similarly yet sound totally different.

That said, if there's a $25 IEM that sounds as good as Singularity, then I'm surprised I've never heard about it before. Hopefully someone can compare both directly and enlighten us :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #62,090 of 87,715
@Damz87
No, I haven't heard Singularity.
Responding to your edit on the previous post, yeah I agree the market is pretty saturated. Especially in the lower price tiers. I swear it feels like there's a new IEM being released and talked about every day on the discovery thread. Its a bit slower in the higher end of the market but there's definitely no shortage of options!

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #62,091 of 87,715
I finally found the right acrylic display case to organize my earbuds! Saved a spot for Serratus Black Sand.

Screenshot_20230728-000706_Instagram.jpg

TGX Ripples, Totem, Sunniva
Desolation Sound, Serratus

Screenshot_20230728-000759_Instagram.jpg

Right case: Sun Copper (On Loan), Asura 3.0 FE (on loan), Yinman 600 (on loan), Fiio FF3, Berseker 2, Val Lazybuds (on loan)
About the case itself: It is transparent and opens like a drawer from both sides. It seems to have just enough space for earbuds and its respective thinner cables. Link to it

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #62,092 of 87,715
Responding to your edit on the previous post, yeah I agree the market is pretty saturated. Especially in the lower price tiers. I swear it feels like there's a new IEM being released and talked about every day on the discovery thread. Its a bit slower in the higher end of the market but there's definitely no shortage of options!
Triplekilobuck or gtfo though right

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #62,093 of 87,715
1690525580081.png

I think market is pretty saturated now. It really is difficult to come up with new tuning, only driver quality/configuration rules nowadays. I'm sure Singularity has better technicalities or less distortion on high gain, but I can't deny the similarities of people impressions of Singularity with how I hear qkz hbb. So, if you can't afford kilobuck iem, here's a good alternative!
I don't think one needs to spend more than $50 these days to obtain an IEM with terrific tonality and a very balanced tuning. In fact you may not even need to spend that much - some of the dynamic drivers used in the most affordable entry-level earphones these days are shockingly competent.

If you can live with a fairly small soundstage, average dynamics, reasonably low resolution & mediocre imaging then why pay more? The problem is once you've heard how enchanting music sounds when those characteristics are rendered to a much higher level it's very hard to go back... you can't un-hear the difference.

That's why the market for multi-thousand dollar IEMs exists, and that's why we can't get enough of them.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #62,094 of 87,715
Hello, everyone
I am sorry to bother you.
Our latest 6BA TOTL IEM with 4 tuning switches is now available:relaxed:

Penon TURBO
Natural pearl shells panels, transparent green resin cavity.
6 balanced armature 2Pin 0.78mm in-ear earphone
3+1 tuning switches,14 kinds of tuning modes
3-way crossover , 3 tubes

C718DAB65D7E63869179C93081BA48E5.jpg

The 3-switch system modes

020 standard mode, vocal is the best.

100 is low frequency enhanced (low frequency will enhance a little, if you still feel that the low frequency is not enough, then turn on the super bass boost switch.)

003 is high frequency enhanced.

The other modes are mixed mode.

The 1-switch system

Independent 1-switch is super bass boost switch, can be used with 3-switch at the same time, can also be used independently.

When used independently, it is low-frequency super boost mode, and with 3-switch, the low-frequency performance can be further enhanced in the corresponding mode of 3-switch.

369BAB57EC5F3F1DDB949D27CA3E5C60.jpg

3+1 switch system

Make sure that at least one of the 3-switch or 1-switch is turned on which is in normal mode.

In any mode, you can turn on the super bass boost switch. to enhance the low frequency, which is equivalent to 100, 020, 003 mode, on the basis of its own effect, a separate increase in the low frequency performance.

The super bass boost switch can also be used independently, i.e. in 000 mode, the super bass boost switch is turned on. It's pure bass boost mode.

The rest is mixed mode and can be used in combination. The independent super bass boost switch, turn on to enhance the bass, turn off is not enhanced, can be enhanced on the basis of the sound of 100, 020, 003 mode. It can also be used independently, i.e. 000 mode + independently enhanced 1-switch.

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #62,095 of 87,715
Hi watercooler folks, I wanted to ask that when you guys buy your dap, what do you look for?
1) Do you guys look for a dap that sounds slightly colours (pleasing sound) or do you seek for objectively measured, design DAP?
Depends. Neutral is fine, but not clinical or too analytical. Anything with a Sabre DAC is usually the latter. Synergy with IEMs is key, since the IEMs are mostly responsible for what you're hearing.
2)How important is UI?
Very. A DAP is not just a music player, it needs to be easy, intuitive and functional. An Android DAP with a good UI means not having to deal with computers and cables for file management and loading, for example. And you don't want a clunky, outdated UI when even the cheapest smartphones look and feel amazing today.
3)What is the longest time you held onto a dap?
2 years (HiBy R6 Pro). I've had WM1Z for more than a year now and don't expect to ever sell it, even though I have 'better' DAPs as well. Some devices are just keepers.
4)How often do you upgrade your source?(Do you upgrade because of your recent IEM purchases not pairing well withbl your current dap?)
The less often the better. Same with IEMs. I don't have ADHD when it comes to gear. If it delivers great sound and a great experience, why constantly upgrade? That said, as a reviewer I get to experience lots of different gear by default, so my use case is very different to most.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #62,096 of 87,715
1690525580081.png

I’m talking as a measurebator and tuning geek guy: maybe you are a touch too enthusiastic about the matching of two FRs.

Case and point, I have had a chance to review and measure VE Phonix and VE EXT. Their midrange measures quite differently, but when the nature of the drivers gets involved in the mix, the midrange tonality is actually quite similar. Graphs are useful engineering tools that can lead to misleading conclusions if one is not careful. It should be ears to eyes (graph), not eyes to ears.

Btw, no idea about either IEMs you listed, but just my two cents about graphs im general.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #62,100 of 87,715
Better than most flagships for sure
Tidy package too, plenty of options for connecting and tuning it seems.

Good to see some other technologies devleoping more. Goldplanar has some hit n miss in the headphone realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back