The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #55,231 of 91,364
1. 64 Audio Fourte Blanc - I've had mine since November (yup) & haven't opened it yet; I'm really getting curious how it sounds in comparison to the OG Fourte & Noir, the two IEMs getting most of my listening time lately. With that said:
2. 64 Audio Fourte
3. 64 Audio Fourte Noir

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #55,232 of 91,364
1. 64 Audio Fourte Blanc - I've had mine since November (yup) & haven't opened it yet; I'm really getting curious how it sounds in comparison to the OG Fourte & Noir, the two IEMs getting most of my listening time lately. With that said:
2. 64 Audio Fourte
3. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
But...why not? Trying to preerve them for posterity?

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #55,233 of 91,364
Ahh...OK. We were talking about different things.

That made me think of use cases. My mobile surroundings (in HK) are in public transport/MTR(subway), streets, etc., all noisy surroundings, and the MTR is very, very noisy. So I do not/cannot worry much about critical performance of whatever I am using. ANC is highly valued.

So take my impressions in that context, as somebody taking a walk in the woods, with less ambient noise, could have very different requirements.

Though I used to go around the city with a WM1Z on my belt, a Sony remote control, and paired with the Noble K10u. But my current choice is for something simpler.

Time changes what you think of as "workable".
This. I only get "critical" listening time at home at a desk now, so more and more I'm eyeing a setup I can toss in a pocket. I miss my Cowon D3. That thing was teeny and it got everything I needed to done, plus had sufficient juice to drive my sennheisers.
The other factor is people have voted in some cases for a set they do not own.
They are intrigued though have not lived with what they voted for.
Not that this is wrong, though it may be wishful thinking.

One of the things that always surprises me is the speed that some of us churn through sets.
Fir would never have even been on my radar if I hadn't had the chance to demo their frontier series. I own a radon, but likely won't own an xe6 any time soon simply because I don't have enough disposable income or time to warrant owning two sets using similar tech (atom modules, kinetic bass) despite the differences in tuning. The only time I ever cycle a set is if it's a blind buy and I really dislike it. I'm eyeing the EE Raven hard, but after the Odyssey, I'd have to demo first.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #55,234 of 91,364
Squig.link actually tells us to normalize them at 500 fysa. Not sure how much it matters one way or another.
I’ve read both 500 and 1000 as suggestions. The purpose is to have the 200-1k area leveled. Sometimes that works better with 500 than 1000 and vice versa, is my understanding, but I’m happy to let the experts correct me on this.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #55,236 of 91,364
2. 64 Audio Fourte
3. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
I’ll guess there is a back story as to why it remains unopened … but for the life of me I can’t fathom leaving a set purchased in November unopened. :smile:
Your willpower is stronger than mine, that’s for sure :relaxed:, respect.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #55,239 of 91,364
My listening time has just been really limited so I didn't want to open them without being able to fully appreciate them and give them proper listening time, which is why I've contemplated selling them. With the lack of interest in my set at their current discounted prince though I'm thinking I could open them and not really lose much (more) in the sale. I can't think of any IEM that could/would appreciate in value over time.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #55,240 of 91,364
My listening time has just been really limited so I didn't want to open them without being able to fully appreciate them and give them proper listening time, which is why I've contemplated selling them. With the lack of interest in my set at their current discounted prince though I'm thinking I could open them and not really lose much (more) in the sale. I can't think of any IEM that could/would appreciate in value over time.
My guess is the Aur Aure will appreciate due to the fast discontinue and reported good sound. Other than that, maybe some low-edition collector items. Possibly the Erlkonig in the future.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #55,241 of 91,364
Oh, and the DUNU SA6 Ultra hasn't lost vale. So that counts for something, though the new SA6 2 is on its way, so that might hit the values there.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #55,242 of 91,364
My guess is the Aur Aure will appreciate due to the fast discontinue and reported good sound. Other than that, maybe some low-edition collector items. Possibly the Erlkonig in the future.
Hopefully the Aure doesn’t appreciate too much haha. I been keeping an eye on the second hand market, as I missed out on the opportunity to get an Aure

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #55,243 of 91,364
The IEM I want to try the most is the Neon Pro, but just because I bought it, and the factor of having paid for it a long time ago and not having tried it still influences.
But if we eliminate that from the equation, the IEM I have most desired to try for a long time is the Tia Trio. I think I would like, but its price and not wanting to pay that amount without trying it first has always thrown me back.
I was going to say that Aur figured into this quite well. I am missing out for sure, but that's nothing new! Very good showing, though!

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #55,245 of 91,364

I don’t think I have ever seen an IEM appreciate in value, especially in relation to its MSRP. Even the Erlkonig is worth far less now than what they were sold for in ~2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back