The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #55,216 of 90,404
I like the XE6 and Trifecta, two of the most polarizing IEMs right now. Both are excellent. But everyone has their priorities. As you said though, it's not a sound quality request, it's a brain worm poll - though many likely take it as a "best sound" poll regardless and the two aren't mutually exclusive.
The other factor is people have voted in some cases for a set they do not own.
They are intrigued though have not lived with what they voted for.
Not that this is wrong, though it may be wishful thinking.

One of the things that always surprises me is the speed that some of us churn through sets.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #55,217 of 90,404
The other factor is people have voted in some cases for a set they do not own.
They are intrigued though have not lived with what they voted for.
Not that this is wrong, though it may be wishful thinking.

One of the things that always surprises me is the speed that some of us churn through sets.
I mean not only do I enjoy reviewing new stuff (or did anyways), but I also like to hear all of the expressions out there from different IEMS. It's cool how they can all sound different - it's a bit of a search for perfection as well.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #55,218 of 90,404
In fairness it was not a rank your best IEMs, but rather what is holding you interest the most at this point in time.
I was tempted to say we are a fickle bunch, but I suspect the reality is more of “raised curiosity” due to Camjam NY & SG reports, which has understandably tended to focus on the newer models like RE6, Raven, Ronin and I guess that’s why the poll has skewed the way it has.

The fickle part is I guess also part of the hobby, the search for the ultimate sound. Judging by the classifieds, there are also a fair few moving away from the Jewel & Bird. I’m surprised at the XE6’s strong showing, it is perhaps the most polarising IEM discussed in recent times in this thread. You either love it or you don’t.

I like the XE6 and Trifecta, two of the most polarizing IEMs right now. Both are excellent. But everyone has their priorities. As you said though, it's not a sound quality request, it's a brain worm poll - though many likely take it as a "best sound" poll regardless and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I must say, the Xe6 has even drawn me (!!) into its orbit, even though I've written so badly about it in recent days. It is paradoxical that I would not have to like the Xe6 "rationally" at all, yet "emotionally" moved me quite. If only there was no problem with the sound leakage, but it is indeed a big problem for me, what a pity!

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #55,219 of 90,404
I must say, the Xe6 has even drawn me (!!) into its orbit, even though I've written so badly about it in recent days. It is paradoxical that I would not have to like the Xe6 "rationally" at all, yet "emotionally" moved me quite. If only there was no problem with the sound leakage, but it is indeed a big problem for me, what a pity!
Yep.
It was my BAE for 8 months which is longer than most. For me anyway.

That emotional tug is key to its success.
At first it’s like nope this is just not right,
but something, I better have another listen…

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #55,220 of 90,404
Sound Leakage is as Sound leakage does. My wife hasn't complained once yet, so it must not be all that bad. If music isn't playing I can actually hear other people when they talk to me which is nice. I'll take emotional over rational any day, no one has ever said "man, that music really made me feel rational." Haha.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #55,223 of 90,404
Sound Leakage is as Sound leakage does. My wife hasn't complained once yet, so it must not be all that bad. If music isn't playing I can actually hear other people when they talk to me which is nice. I'll take emotional over rational any day, no one has ever said "man, that music really made me feel rational." Haha.
Yes, in itself you are right. But I could certainly never listen to the Xe6 in the office or when I should be traveling on the train. I mean, it happens very rarely actually, but if it did, I would have a problem with it, and I would find it very annoying after spending so much money on it to have to limit myself. It's about the principle. And yes, I know that I am too strict with myself. So spontaneously I would not buy it, I would have to think carefully.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #55,224 of 90,404
Yes, in itself you are right. But I could certainly never listen to the Xe6 in the office or when I should be traveling on the train. I mean, it happens very rarely actually, but if it did, I would have a problem with it, and I would find it very annoying after spending so much money on it to have to limit myself. It's about the principle. And yes, I know that I am too strict with myself. So spontaneously I would not buy it, I would have to think carefully.
Totally fair, I have no trains near me and I'd never bring something like the XE6 to the office. I brought my Monarch Mk2 one time and I couldn't do anything of value with it.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #55,225 of 90,404
Custom doesn't leak sound at all.

😈

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #55,226 of 90,404
Totally fair, I have no trains near me and I'd never bring something like the XE6 to the office. I brought my Monarch Mk2 one time and I couldn't do anything of value with it.
That would be absolutely fine with me. I have the Pelican case from Noble and in the office I would be stationary, so exactly as if I were at home, it would make no difference.

Custom doesn't leak sound at all.

😈
Yes, I know that, but custom is out of the question for me.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #55,227 of 90,404
There ya go, more votes for 64Audio.
The IEM I want to try the most is the Neon Pro, but just because I bought it, and the factor of having paid for it a long time ago and not having tried it still influences.
But if we eliminate that from the equation, the IEM I have most desired to try for a long time is the Tia Trio. I think I would like, but its price and not wanting to pay that amount without trying it first has always thrown me back.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #55,228 of 90,404
Quick question since I am a noob with IEM's and they graph different than headphones or so it seems. So, I have heard the Legend X a good bit thanks to a generous friend and find it almost perfect with tonal balance for its explosive low end. The remaining sound through mid range is about as close as I would want to come to crowded with gelatinous thick sound. I know graph's don't tell the whole story but it's all I have as a reference for the time being. Does this mean the XE6 has an even thicker or blunted low mid to upper mid tonality than Legend X?

When looking at these graphs it is important to normalize them, eg at 1 khz, see below.

graph 29.png

Graphs don’t tell the full story but what you see here, which confirms the reality imo, is that the Xe6 has elevated mid bass and lower mids, which gives it a full and warm sound, while the LX sounds a lot more energetic due to the elevated upper mids, around 2k.

The tuning of the Xe6 is pretty unique. It sounds unnatural but it can work quite well with some music. For some, like me, it’s a bit of an acquired taste. I would advise against blind buying it, unless you can find a used unit with limited resale risk.

Edit: I messed up and included the EVO in the graph instead of the LX. The upper mids peak of the EVO is larger than the LX.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #55,229 of 90,404
That would be absolutely fine with me. I have the Pelican case from Noble and in the office I would be stationary, so exactly as if I were at home, it would make no difference.

Yes, I know that, but custom is out of the question for me.
Oh, sorry, I should mention that I can't have a DAP or phone at work. That's why it kills it for me.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #55,230 of 90,404
When looking at these graphs it is important to normalize them, eg at 1 khz, see below.

graph 29.png

Graphs don’t tell the full story but what you see here, which confirms the reality imo, is that the Xe6 has elevated mid bass and lower mids, which gives it a full and warm sound, while the LX sounds a lot more energetic due to the elevated upper mids, around 2k.

The tuning of the Xe6 is pretty unique. It sounds unnatural but it can work quite well with some music. For some, like me, it’s a bit of an acquired taste. I would advise against blind buying it, unless you can find a used unit with limited resale risk.
Squig.link actually tells us to normalize them at 500 fysa. Not sure how much it matters one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back