The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #52,442 of 87,674
The 8 Wire Yatono is awesome. I’d take it over PW Orpheus. I had the privilege of demo’ing it from a friend a few months back. Absolutely loved it with the MSE. There’s something about the “DIY yet robust” nature of this cable that I found highly appealing. It just screams “sound first” vibes to me.

It was not a good match for XE6.

0117BD5B-E200-419A-8AC3-CFA3579EE260.jpeg093A6204-2EA9-4807-B3BC-F90AD92EEA87.jpeg

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #52,444 of 87,674
I've always been curious as to why someone would buy a super high-end, transparent, state-of-the-art IEM (or DAP) and then use it to play highly compressed, poorly mastered or lossy music. Surely that last 5-10% performance gained by going high-end is simply thrown away before it even gets to the transducer? Then there are some genres purposefully recorded to sound like poop, like certain genres of metal (not commenting on the genre, just the intentional 'artistic' delivery), which then results in endless debates as to which IEM is best suited for said playback.

It reminds me of a conversation I read between a luxury car dealer and a buyer, where the buyer walks up to one of the supercars on the showroom floor and asks "is this a smooth ride", to which the dealer replies "depends where you drive it".
This all loops back to the conversations that come up regularly about how your preferred music genres can really shape your preferred IEM / gear tuning. It's less and less for me nowadays but I do have a fair amount of poop sounding metal in my library and it's ROUGH on highly transparent IEMs and sources. Even though it's the artists intent to sound rough, raw and poorly recorded (because a lot of it is), it's more enjoyable to my ears on warmer, less transparent / resolving gear. Something like Ragnar or Odin would likely be downright torturous with this stuff.

Which leads me to some probably fairly obvious realizations after reading through the discussion over the past few pages on "reference" sound sigs / "as the artist intended" tunings (thanks @Animagus @Deezel177 for your ever detailed comments!). As far as I can gather, most manufacturers are using drivers from the same suppliers. So is it fair to assume that at a certain point higher end IEMs all have a similar technical potential? The "detail monsters" and reference IEMs lauded for their top tier technicalities are simply tuned as such and thus come off as more technically competent compared to an IEM that's tuned to be warmer or more 'fun'?

In other news, I'm unreasonably excited for Rn6 to ship. I've been hesitant to jump on a multi-kilobuck set but feel like this one will have everything I loved about Xe6 but in a tuning package that's more suited to my main music genres. Hype!

giphy.gif

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #52,445 of 87,674
hi coolers, I'm looking for BRISE YATONO 8W 2pin 4.4mm, let me know if u have one to pass.
The 8 Wire Yatono is awesome. I’d take it over PW Orpheus. I had the privilege of demo’ing it from a friend a few months back. Absolutely loved it with the MSE. There’s something about the “DIY yet robust” nature of this cable that I found highly appealing. It just screams “sound first” vibes to me.

It was not a good match for XE6.

0117BD5B-E200-419A-8AC3-CFA3579EE260.jpeg093A6204-2EA9-4807-B3BC-F90AD92EEA87.jpeg
congrat! i'm looking for one too.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #52,446 of 87,674
hi coolers, I'm looking for BRISE YATONO 8W 2pin 4.4mm, let me know if u have one to pass.

congrat! i'm looking for one too.

Doubt you’ll see many on classifieds. Not many people own them due to their long lead time from Brise Audio. MusicTeck stocks Brise cables now. I’m debating grabbing a 4W myself.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #52,450 of 87,674
This all loops back to the conversations that come up regularly about how your preferred music genres can really shape your preferred IEM / gear tuning. It's less and less for me nowadays but I do have a fair amount of poop sounding metal in my library and it's ROUGH on highly transparent IEMs and sources. Even though it's the artists intent to sound rough, raw and poorly recorded (because a lot of it is), it's more enjoyable to my ears on warmer, less transparent / resolving gear. Something like Ragnar or Odin would likely be downright torturous with this stuff.

Which leads me to some probably fairly obvious realizations after reading through the discussion over the past few pages on "reference" sound sigs / "as the artist intended" tunings (thanks @Animagus @Deezel177 for your ever detailed comments!). As far as I can gather, most manufacturers are using drivers from the same suppliers. So is it fair to assume that at a certain point higher end IEMs all have a similar technical potential? The "detail monsters" and reference IEMs lauded for their top tier technicalities are simply tuned as such and thus come off as more technically competent compared to an IEM that's tuned to be warmer or more 'fun'?

In other news, I'm unreasonably excited for Rn6 to ship. I've been hesitant to jump on a multi-kilobuck set but feel like this one will have everything I loved about Xe6 but in a tuning package that's more suited to my main music genres. Hype!

giphy.gif
I certainly wouldn’t say so. There are IEMs tuned warm that are more detailed or as detailed as those tuned bright. While it’s true that a lot of these drivers are available to everyone, it’s always the implementation, rather than the implementee. Beyond the tuning pre-driver (as in the crossover, the circuitry, etc.), tuning post-driver has become more advanced than ever with bespoke acoustic chambers and what-not. The Xe6 is an IEM that’s benefitted from that to achieve both warmth and detail. And, we also mustn’t forget that new drivers and drivers made exclusively for certain brands come out really, really often. We just never hear about it, ‘cus it’s rarely publicised. JH’s Sharona has bleeding-edge tweeters for its resolving warmth. As much as we all wanna say we’ve reached the endgame, I think we all know that it isn’t true. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #52,451 of 87,674
Can anyone recommend some sort of brise audio 8w iem carrying case xD it won't fit the traditional ones lol.

I have a couple of individual PlusSound cases with leather inserts and also EA Chamber case for my 8-wires:

https://www.plussoundaudio.com/acce...age=PLUSSOUND-Leather-Storage-Case-p414535975

Or you if you need space for more, there's also the EA Chamber case:

https://www.effectaudio.com/chamber-carrying-case

And a portable case smaller than EA Chamber, Eletech Astute Companion - costlier of the 3 but the blue leather and should strap is quite nice (pictured is the 1st ET Companion case filled – both have adjustable dividers)

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/eletech/products/eletech-astute-companion-case-deep-sea-blue

IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #52,452 of 87,674
Interesting question besides opening the can of worms. If we were honest we would firstly have to admit, that the effect of a recordings mastering might be bigger soundwise than that of the gear used to listen to it (as long as it isn't total crap).

A good friend of mine is an enthusiastic vinyl collector and I remember endless listening sessions (mostly in the 90ies) when we heard his vinyls vs. my CDs (on equally good gear). The results were shocking since the differences were extremely different: sometimes the CD sounded quite similar to the vinyl, sometimes like total bs in comparison. Often that related to the age of the recordings (the newer the better/competitive the CDs sound).

Of special interest to me was the perceivable fact, that even different pressings of a record could sound totally different. My friend therefore seeked for first pressings of all his most beloved records, wherever he could get his hands on. He was convinced, that the first pressings especially of records being released in the 60ies, 70ies, and (early) 80ies - the times when music used to be released as records, cassettes and tapes only - sounded best and / or as close to the artists intention as possible. And remembering our listening impressions at the time being I could only second his view.

But it is 2023 nowadays and times have changed in many ways. Todays music is mostly produced and released in digital ways with streaming and dowloading files in mind. And the (re-)mastering tools for older releases have also - like the processing power of the computer hardware used for that - dramatically improved compared to the possibilities in the 80ies and 90ies.

But even that doesn't guarantee good /original sounding old stuff. I own various flac versions of Soltis/Wagners Ring der Nibelungen e.g., some heavily digitally treated and the best sounding by quite a margin is a vinyl rip...
Great story, and it still holds up today. Sure you can stream almost anything you want nowadays, but even though most streaming services sound great, they're unlikely going to be up to par with the very best recordings of your favourite music - especially older, classic recordings. That's why, if you want to hear the 'best versions' of some of your favourite albums, it pays to seek them out and, if you can, collect them. I don't do this for all of my favourite artists, but for some it's worth taking the time...

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 21.42.50.png
I do have a fair amount of poop sounding metal in my library and it's ROUGH on highly transparent IEMs and sources. Even though it's the artists intent to sound rough, raw and poorly recorded (because a lot of it is), it's more enjoyable to my ears on warmer, less transparent / resolving gear. Something like Ragnar or Odin would likely be downright torturous with this stuff.
That's EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. Thanks for articulating it so well. The 'best' IEMs aren't always going to be the best choice for some of the music you want to play with them.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #52,453 of 87,674
I certainly wouldn’t say so. There are IEMs tuned warm that are more detailed or as detailed as those tuned bright. While it’s true that a lot of these drivers are available to everyone, it’s always the implementation, rather than the implementee. Beyond the tuning pre-driver (as in the crossover, the circuitry, etc.), tuning post-driver has become more advanced than ever with bespoke acoustic chambers and what-not. The Xe6 is an IEM that’s benefitted from that to achieve both warmth and detail. And, we also mustn’t forget that new drivers and drivers made exclusively for certain brands come out really, really often. We just never hear about it, ‘cus it’s rarely publicised. JH’s Sharona has bleeding-edge tweeters for its resolving warmth. As much as we all wanna say we’ve reached the endgame, I think we all know that it isn’t true. 😉

Yeah, my TOTL purchase this year is going to be TOUGH between the RN6 and Sharona.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #52,454 of 87,674
Great story, and it still holds up today. Sure you can stream almost anything you want nowadays, but even though most streaming services sound great, they're unlikely going to be up to par with the very best recordings of your favourite music - especially older, classic recordings. That's why, if you want to hear the 'best versions' of some of your favourite albums, it pays to seek them out and, if you can, collect them. I don't do this for all of my favourite artists, but for some it's worth taking the time...

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 21.42.50.png

That's EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. Thanks for articulating it so well. The 'best' IEMs aren't always going to be the best choice for some of the music you want to play with them.
man! really nice pink floyd's digital collection, i really want a good digital recording of the album "darkside of the moon", all i can listen it is from qobuz but always feel likes it's not good enough.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #52,455 of 87,674
This is a community full of people all of whom bring their own perspective to the table and if you've followed our polls and dialogue you would see that there is a tremendous diversity of opinion here -- there is no "majority" to align with most of the time. This is one of the things that distinguishes this place from most other similar communities. Opinions of all sorts are welcomed-- and no negative opinion has ever been dismissed or disregarded simply for being a negative opinion. What matters is the tone and manner in which said opinion is expressed. Use tact and and don't talk as though your opinion-- or any opinion for that matter-- is the final word, or is more valid or valueable than anyone else's. You are getting pushback here not for what you said but for the way in which you said it. Please take this to heart. The irony of your complaining about women with "unattractive personalities" is not lost on some of us.
Well said. Pretty much the only thread I follow at all. On the internet.
As a wholly random aside, the reality of being a recent father has resulted in the majority of my listening time being directed not towards my IEMs, but towards Cocomelon on my LG TVs internal speakers. I find myself with a lack of time to listen to music these days between fatherhood responsibilities and being on calls most of the day for work, but seemingly with just enough time during those in-between moments to post and catch up on the latest watercooler posts. As much as I lament the cost of childcare in this country cutting into my gear budget (seriously, daycare bills, alongside rent, are practically criminal here in NY), I will say that, as I sit on this sunny Sunday afternoon beside this darling little girl with my eyes and cheeks, trying (rather unsuccessfully) to get her to nap, I'm realizing I really wouldn't trade this for anything in the world. There'll be more time to listen to music when she's a little bit older, but in the interim, this isn't half bad.
Congrats on being a father and I wish your family the best! Can really recommend vifa Bluetooth speakers, if sound quality is what matters. A little difficult to get the best tuning for them now, though. Also Nubert makes great stereo speakers :)

Gotta lot of catching up to do, was sick for a long while and now have to get my life back in order.
And I am still working out some stuff here that put me off the whole hobby a good chunk.
Hope it's gonna be resolved soon, I will talk about it then, just sharing emotions right now.

I had a great little honeymoon phase with Tgxear Serratus and Ripples, although the metal versions. (Ripples is called Carbon)
And my stereo system sounds awesome, even though I do need proper audio treatment of my room, which is way too expensive right now.

Otherwise the SE846 with Bluetooth Adapters and some EQ sometimes is often in use right now, they are the main workhorse.

Have to listen to more of all that. And read up more on the thread here. Thanks to everyone writing their mind here, I appreciate the read, even if it's sometimes overwhelming. Wish you all a great rest of the week!

Hopefully nothing else I wanna chime in in the next 1000 posts 😁😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back