The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #52,426 of 88,532
Very true.. I try not to get too technical with my music/gear discussions. Work gives me more than enough of that. At the end of the day if it sounds great to me regardless of my mood.. Then I'm all smiles. Sometimes perfection strips the enjoyment out of everything it touches.
So true, for me, nothing kills the enjoyment of listening to music more than A/Bing two or more IEMs. That's why when I'm listening to relax I pick a setup and stick to it.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #52,427 of 88,532
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #52,429 of 88,532
Because you now gotta pay additional thousands to get the best out of your favorite IEM ?! Truth haha

Oh I wasn't even thinking that far... just the process itself is mind-numbingly boring lol.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #52,430 of 88,532
Just received the Brise Yatono 8w last night omg the spaciousness the blackground the resolution !!! imaging/layering is at another level it's just so smooth precise and clean but still musical. I listen to mostly rock/prog stuff.
Was there that much difference between the 4W and 8W Yatono with the Viking?. I’ve read elsewhere much the same 4 vs 8 wire Yatono with other IEMs.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #52,432 of 88,532
Cable rolling.
Because you now gotta pay additional thousands to get the best out of your favorite IEM ?! Truth haha
Oh I wasn't even thinking that far... just the process itself is mind-numbingly boring lol.
canworms.gif

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #52,434 of 88,532
Was there that much difference between the 4W and 8W Yatono with the Viking?. I’ve read elsewhere much the same 4 vs 8 wire Yatono with other IEMs.
I haven't A/Bed yet but I do remember not being impressed by 4w(is my favorite with aroma jewel) in comparison to the Magnus 8w (stock for the Damascus viking) but I don't see myself going back to the stock cable. Is the price difference worth it in value probably not but is it worth it to finally achieve what I think is the Damascus viking at it's best ? Yes. It's worth.

PS I never got to try jewel with 8w.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #52,435 of 88,532
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #52,436 of 88,532
ive read a lot of good things about them. I had the LCD-X before and really liked them, but wanted to experience more headphones, so I sold them. Plus, I'm looking to fund the headphones with the money I get from selling the IEMs.

To me, they dont sound as wide and tall as the Indigo does

I can agree, the indigo does sound a bit incoherent at times; I feel that the male vocals are better on the Indigo as well

TBH, I’m looking for planar headphones, plus to fund the new headphones with the $ I get from selling the Z1R. the Stellia's would be 2x the price from what I could get for the Sonys.

interesting, they look very nice, I have not heard of them before.

I would LOVE to get the ZMF VC, but I have never hear them before; actually I have never heard any ZMF cans before. I was leaning toward planar drivers with the Audeze, plus I have heard a lot of good things about them. I think I liked my LCD-X more than the HD800s and Arya in an overall sense.
The LCD-X is better than the LCD-XC. If you do go with the XC, get a balanced cable... Please.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #52,437 of 88,532
I haven't A/Bed yet but I do remember not being impressed by 4w(is my favorite with aroma jewel) in comparison to the Magnus 8w (stock for the Damascus viking) but I don't see myself going back to the stock cable. Is the price difference worth it in value probably not but is it worth it to finally achieve what I think is the Damascus viking at it's best ? Yes. It's worth.

PS I never got to try jewel with 8w.

Interesting observation, thank you!.
It is something that I’ve noticed in comments and somewhat from personal experience, 8 wire seem to offer more over the same 4 wire version of cables.
I was aware Viking has the 8W Magnus and Viking Ragnar has the 4 W version … my personal experience was the EA Ares 4W supplied with the Odyssey seemed to constrict everything, yet it opened up significantly (but still not enough) with an Ares 8W.

So, from a Viking or Viking Ragnar perspective I am particularly interested in your findings given my own preference for the Viking Ragnar as my #1 IEM.
The Brise Yatono ultimate 4 & 8 Wire is firmly in my sights, it seems to offer better value then other multi kilo buck brands and the IEMs I have in mind are Phönix LE (4W) and Ragnar (8W).
But I am still questioning my own sanity around the “ these IEMs are the best I’ve heard” why do I feed the need to experiment further questions. :wink:

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #52,439 of 88,532
I'm not sure that makes sense, or that I totally understand what you're trying to say (my bad, not yours!), but if the idea is that you look for the best possible way to hear your music library in its best possible version, then I think we're on the same page. "Get as close to the recording as possible" sounds suspiciously like "as the artist intended". Do you actively seek out the best possible version of whatever recording you're listening to, for instance?
Interesting question besides opening the can of worms. If we were honest we would firstly have to admit, that the effect of a recordings mastering might be bigger soundwise than that of the gear used to listen to it (as long as it isn't total crap).

A good friend of mine is an enthusiastic vinyl collector and I remember endless listening sessions (mostly in the 90ies) when we heard his vinyls vs. my CDs (on equally good gear). The results were shocking since the differences were extremely different: sometimes the CD sounded quite similar to the vinyl, sometimes like total bs in comparison. Often that related to the age of the recordings (the newer the better/competitive the CDs sound).

Of special interest to me was the perceivable fact, that even different pressings of a record could sound totally different. My friend therefore seeked for first pressings of all his most beloved records, wherever he could get his hands on. He was convinced, that the first pressings especially of records being released in the 60ies, 70ies, and (early) 80ies - the times when music used to be released as records, cassettes and tapes only - sounded best and / or as close to the artists intention as possible. And remembering our listening impressions at the time being I could only second his view.

But it is 2023 nowadays and times have changed in many ways. Todays music is mostly produced and released in digital ways with streaming and dowloading files in mind. And the (re-)mastering tools for older releases have also - like the processing power of the computer hardware used for that - dramatically improved compared to the possibilities in the 80ies and 90ies.

But even that doesn't guarantee good /original sounding old stuff. I own various flac versions of Soltis/Wagners Ring der Nibelungen e.g., some heavily digitally treated and the best sounding by quite a margin is a vinyl rip...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #52,440 of 88,532
Interesting observation, thank you!.
It is something that I’ve noticed in comments and somewhat from personal experience, 8 wire seem to offer more over the same 4 wire version of cables.
I was aware Viking has the 8W Magnus and Viking Ragnar has the 4 W version … my personal experience was the EA Ares 4W supplied with the Odyssey seemed to constrict everything, yet it opened up significantly (but still not enough) with an Ares 8W.

So, from a Viking or Viking Ragnar perspective I am particularly interested in your findings given my own preference for the Viking Ragnar as my #1 IEM.
The Brise Yatono ultimate 4 & 8 Wire is firmly in my sights, it seems to offer better value then other multi kilo buck brands and the IEMs I have in mind are Phönix LE (4W) and Ragnar (8W).
But I am still questioning my own sanity around the “ these IEMs are the best I’ve heard” why do I feed the need to experiment further questions. :wink:
8w is worth it for Ragnar imo not so much 4w and as you described it removes the constraints. I felt the jewel worked wonderfully with just the 4w but I was never able to A/B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back