The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #52,471 of 88,514
Hey all, it's been a while since I checked in :)

I've been on tour for work, another few weeks in India, now home for two weeks and then I ship back out to Taiwan. In the interim my new film, a full length documentary I've been working on for six years had its premiere last week. Pretty stoked, there was 700 people there and it got a standing ovation! So i've been busy one could say.

I also got my dream guitar, so happy to be back to playing. I spent almost 10 years looking for this guitar, so when it showed up online I had to jump on it. I wonder if any of you can spot the uniqueness of this instrument? :) It's crazy badass, one of a kind.

My plan to downgrade my gear in favor of spending more time on music was successful, sold off my LP6 AE, Aroma stack and Orpheus, pocketed some cash and got myself a Sony 1ZM2. What a great DAP, wonderful sound - while it is not the AE I enjoy it very much and for this period in my life it's perfect. I also received a like new First Times included in my sale, so in the end I still have a pretty decent TOTL setup. The FT is a great cable, but with the M2 I want something a little more energetic like FTS, OTL or 1950s Shielding - so if anyone wants a basically brand new First Times I would be open to trades or selling it. Let me know what you have.

I hope you're all doing well, and I really appreciate all the messages asking me to come back to HF :) I will definitely be around, I have a couple of reviews in the pipeline so you'll see more of me soon.

TKP - KUDUNG - 1.jpg20230314_222412-01.jpg20230314_222418-01.jpg
7 String huh? Nice. Beautiful guitar.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #52,472 of 88,514
It’s not a developed country thing. I got similar treatment from Bloom audio. I won’t elaborate too much but I nearly was left with a $3700 bill and no IEMs.
Oof, rough. I haven't had the best experience with them either, though nothing that bad. Some companies go out of their way to make sure you're good. Some don't.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #52,473 of 88,514
I tried using Bluetooth with the MO Pro, but it can't find my SE846s sadly... Do you have insights on that maybe?

I haven’t tried with Bluetooth, I will do and let you know

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #52,474 of 88,514

I've been on tour for work, another few weeks in India, now home for two weeks and then I ship back out to Taiwan. In the interim my new film, a full length documentary I've been working on for six years had its premiere last week. Pretty stoked, there was 700 people there and it got a standing ovation! So i've been busy one could say.

I also got my dream guitar, so happy to be back to playing. I spent almost 10 years looking for this guitar, so when it showed up online I had to jump on it. I wonder if any of you can spot the uniqueness of this instrument? :) It's crazy badass, one of a kind.

My plan to downgrade my gear in favor of spending more time on music was successful, sold off my LP6 AE, Aroma stack and Orpheus, pocketed some cash and got myself a Sony 1ZM2. What a great DAP, wonderful sound - while it is not the AE I enjoy it very much and for this period in my life it's perfect. I also received a like new First Times included in my sale, so in the end I still have a pretty decent TOTL setup. The FT is a great cable, but with the M2 I want something a little more energetic like FTS, OTL or 1950s Shielding - so if anyone wants a basically brand new First Times I would be open to trades or selling it. Let me know what you have.

I hope you're all doing well, and I really appreciate all the messages asking me to come back to HF :) I will definitely be around, I have a couple of reviews in the pipeline so you'll see more of me soon.

That Guitar is Sweeeeeet!

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #52,475 of 88,514
I'm certain this topic has been discussed before... But if you happen to listen to the same song/album on Tidal.... Does anyone find that the Qobuz version sounds better?

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #52,476 of 88,514
I’ve spent most of my limited free time over the last few days with the M6U and Fibae 5 - definitely a lot to be said for sticking with a single set for the day. I’d be inclined to say this combination represents a fantastic sweet spot before diving headfirst into the endless fiery pit of diminishing returns. So many boxes are ticked for me with both the DAP and IEMs, and all for ‘only’ about $2k.

In short -

The M6U is both small and light enough for me to use anywhere. I love the build quality and ergonomics. It’s fast, sounds fantastic and has a wonderful screen. Plus I think it looks stunning.

Fibae 5 are definitely a superb all rounder for any genre - but with excellent engagement factor too, adore the balance of bass and clarity with just enough zing up top, and very good timbre. They are very comfortable and I can easily listen for hours.

Right now I’d say this could be my ‘walk away’ combo if I had to, and that’s coming from a DD lover!

34523B04-296B-4627-BDF7-3D13489224C7.jpeg

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #52,477 of 88,514

looks like you are heading to Taiwan soon ?! ( my home country ), hope you enjoy!

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #52,478 of 88,514

I'm starting off late in life learning how to play a Guitar but if I can be a smidgen of a fraction of awesome like Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Kingfish Ingram, or B. B. King's fretwork with a stratocaster I would be thrilled.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #52,479 of 88,514
I’ve spent most of my limited free time over the last few days with the M6U and Fibae 5 - definitely a lot to be said for sticking with a single set for the day. I’d be inclined to say this combination represents a fantastic sweet spot before diving headfirst into the endless fiery pit of diminishing returns. So many boxes are ticked for me with both the DAP and IEMs, and all for ‘only’ about $2k.

In short -

The M6U is both small and light enough for me to use anywhere. I love the build quality and ergonomics. It’s fast, sounds fantastic and has a wonderful screen. Plus I think it looks stunning.

Fibae 5 are definitely a superb all rounder for any genre - but with excellent engagement factor too, adore the balance of bass and clarity with just enough zing up top, and very good timbre. They are very comfortable and I can easily listen for hours.

Right now I’d say this could be my ‘walk away’ combo if I had to, and that’s coming from a DD lover!

That is some hefty praise.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #52,480 of 88,514

In short -

So if I'm reading this correctly... Warm, Resolute, Silly Fun, portable, and engaging is that correct @Scuba Devils ?

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #52,481 of 88,514

Beautiful guitar. I’ve never seen an offset pickup configuration like that. And the angled frets are unique as well. Very cool!

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #52,482 of 88,514
Well, so far it looks like the Phonix LE is in the lead with the Ronin/Trailli in 2nd place. Since I already have an Impact on the way, I'll probably avoid the Traillii for now and stick with the Phonix or Ronin as two relatively new options.
Sure, you are a free man who have the full right to make his own choices.
Nothing wrong with not experiencing that Traillii magic that other sets are trying to mimic never really get there.
Looking forward for your next review of whatever you choose)

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #52,483 of 88,514
So if I'm reading this correctly... Warm, Resolute, Silly Fun, portable, and engaging is that correct @Scuba Devils ?

Pretty much - but I’d say fun where fun is called for. I’m listening to some modern classical now and wonderfully engaging with very good timbre - not at my high bar for the genre with say Turii Ti, but I could comfortably flip to something like dub techno with F5 and love it too, not so with Turii Ti.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #52,485 of 88,514
Pretty much - but I’d say fun where fun is called for. I’m listening to some modern classical now and wonderfully engaging with very good timbre - not at my high bar for the genre with say Turii Ti, but I could comfortably flip to something like dub techno with F5 and love it too, not so with Turii Ti.
The M6U is fantastic. I need to try out the Fibae at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back