The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #48,076 of 90,221
Re Azla Max:
I find it cuts treble extension by a bit, noticeably for brighter IEMs.
It also thickens the sound so on anything it gives a "warmer, more comfortable" sound
Which is exactly why I like them I guess!

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #48,077 of 90,221
A wonderful music chat and listening session with my wife and daughter after dinner - we had tears and laughter, a mix of emotions going through songs that mean a lot to us all for various sad and happy times. It’s one of my favourite things to do with my family, and so special that we are all so obsessed by music. There is nothing that connects me to moments in life as much as music, allowing me to feel being back in a moment, often many years ago and conjuring up joy or sorrow or just a simple link to that point in time.

A random selection of songs we listened to tonight:

Everyday Is Like Sunday. The epitome of melancholy.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #48,079 of 90,221
Penon Impact Initial Thoughts:

- Wow this is comfortable. This is among the best fitting IEMs I have ever had in my ears.

- I really like the aesthetics of the cable.

- So much micro-detail and spatial cues being provided by this IEM. The staging is fantastic. It sounds like a concert hall.

- So much clarity in the vocals. Female is better than male but the male vocals are no slouch.

- Great texture in the mid-bass and sub-bass.

- Comfortable. No internal ear pressure issues. No discomfort at all. No issues with fit or the IEM slipping out of my ear.

- A very balanced, musical, effortless, detailed sound. This is among the best IEMs I have heard for my tastes and my library (Folk, Singer Songwriter, Jazz, Rock, etc.)

- I really don't like the sound of the stock cable. I replaced the stock cable with an Eletech Prudence cable and it instantly made this IEM better for me. More resolving in the highs and just better all around. I wish I had an even better cable to try out. I think this IEM will scale with cables well.

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg
Hmm, yeah, I want to try the Impact one of these days.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #48,081 of 90,221
I read good feedback about Mystique, any cooler’s impressions?
https://nobleaudio.com/products/fokus-mystique
They're the best sounding TWS I've heard, and the EQ gives you some room to play with. They're also heavy, and the mids feel a bit more recessed than I like. They have really impressive bass and some pretty good highs, though I noticed sibilance on my test-song for sibilance. Still, very cool product, basically the Audiophile TWS IEM. The full review is done, I just need photos and I'll put ti up sometime tomorrow morning.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #48,082 of 90,221
Hmm, yeah, I want to try the Impact one of these days.

This unit will be at CanJam NYC with @Rockwell75

The Penon IMPACT is not to be missed. It’s a really competent set. It isn’t show-y. It’s sophisticated and balanced. It balanced detail retrieval, tone and timbre really are understated until you realize how good it is.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #48,083 of 90,221
This unit will be at CanJam NYC with @Rockwell75

The Penon IMPACT is not to be missed. It’s a really competent set. It isn’t show-y. It’s sophisticated and balanced. It balanced detail retrieval, tone and timbre really are understated until you realize how good it is.
Penon really shoots it out the park with this one and I'm glad no one else is having issues with their set or I'm just a very picky person. I cannot wait to get my exchange and listen to it all over again. I'll have another listening impression. 😆

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #48,084 of 90,221
Okay this is the real deal, Elysian Acoustics Annihilator!! Thanks to @Sajid Amit Sir for helping me with the audition. My mind is completely blown away by its resolution and detail retrieval. Super gooodddddd!!!

annihilator.jpeg

annihilator 2.jpeg
jewel image.jpeg

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #48,085 of 90,221
This EQ-Preset "fixed" the sound of the Shure SE846! :) It is now suitable for every genre and can work pretty effective for immersive listening sessions. No changes were made under 31hz if anyone was wondering, there are two more sliders there, but they are unchanged.
Screenshot_20230206-062325.png

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #48,086 of 90,221
I know, some will call me crazy, but I will post it anyways. Just have to, because I feel strongly about it:
Could please some of you that also have the focus on musicality rather than on technicalities try the following:
Find a song/piece that was recorded before 2000 and is now published in 96kHz or higher and 44.1khz and compare them for their musicality level (here: flow of music, feeling that e.g. voice, violin or saxophone etc. creates in you).
Put technicalities aside. Do you feel, that HighRes sounds more musical/engaging?
Well I don't. Quite the opposite. Tried this so many times. Mainly, but not only with classical music. And always, without exception, I find 44.1kHz clearly more musical. No matter who is the publisher.
It might be my poor equipment, but somehow I doubt it. But that is why I ask.
Did anyone try and wants to share? But please: "Musicality" only. If you don't dare to publish crazy thoughts, send a PM :wink:
(at the moment listening to a 44.1kHz recording of the Beethoven Triple Concerto with Schneiderhahn/Fournier/Anda. Before it was the same recording with 96kHz. Both published by Deutsche Grammophone ... with the usual result)

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #48,087 of 90,221
I know, some will call me crazy, but I will post it anyways. Just have to, because I feel strongly about it:
Could please some of you that also have the focus on musicality rather than on technicalities try the following:
Find a song/piece that was recorded before 2000 and is now published in 96kHz or higher and 44.1khz and compare them for their musicality level (here: flow of music, feeling that e.g. voice, violin or saxophone etc. creates in you).
Put technicalities aside. Do you feel, that HighRes sounds more musical/engaging?
Well I don't. Quite the opposite. Tried this so many times. Mainly, but not only with classical music. And always, without exception, I find 44.1kHz clearly more musical. No matter who is the publisher.
Did anyone try and wants to share? But please: "Musicality" only. If you don't dare to publish crazy thoughts, send a PM :wink:
(at the moment listening to a 44.1kHz recording of the Beethoven Triple Concerto with Schneiderhahn/Fournier/Anda. Before it was the same recording with 96kHz. Both published by Deutsche Grammophone ... with the usual result)
A lot of hi-res music that is sold is a simple software upscale and not based on the original or actually released re-masters. So that might be why.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #48,088 of 90,221
This has been a controversial topic since the first CD players and DACs were published. Musicality went out of the window with the introduction of CDs but that's not what I'm referring to. Because of my work I was first in line to hear all the "advantages" of first 18 bit, then 1 bit, X-uple oversampling, etcetera. Not for me. I want to listen to the Soul of Music; not to the Sound of Music. No doubt each and every new technique measures better and that's truly a great accomplishment. But I'm in zero hurry to "upgrade" my collection to high resolution versions and prefer to stick with R2R and/or tubes. Vinyl anyone?

drftr

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #48,089 of 90,221
This has been a controversial topic since the first CD players and DACs were published. Musicality went out of the window with the introduction of CDs but that's not what I'm referring to. Because of my work I was first in line to hear all the "advantages" of first 18 bit, then 1 bit, X-uple oversampling, etcetera. Not for me. I want to listen to the Soul of Music; not to the Sound of Music. No doubt each and every new technique measures better and that's truly a great accomplishment. But I'm in zero hurry to "upgrade" my collection to high resolution versions and prefer to stick with R2R and/or tubes. Vinyl anyone?

drftr
My love of vinyl definitely drives my choice of iems and DAPS. While the initial wow of super technical iems IS THERE, it soon pales and I end up going back to my analogue sounding gear, with the technical wonders going in a draw. Only to be brought out to demonstrate to others fine details in music and the capability of hi rez files and gear.
For my personal listening it's always about musicality.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #48,090 of 90,221
I just spotted my MDR-1AM2 this morning tucked away in a box, ages since I’ve listened so thought I’d give them a try, and of course hooked up to my trusty WM1A - very enjoyable, and sound better than I anticipated they would.

6990B830-6931-44E3-81F3-5C70742E5BC8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back