The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #47,851 of 88,350
Try living in Africa... 🤭
Toto-Africa-top-100-yacht-rock-songs.gif

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #47,852 of 88,350
Yes, I agree with that. I still think they are quite useful, but the audiophile market, especially in the IEM section, has grown out of this kind of sound many many years ago.
Growing out of the sound many years ago, not fully agree with that, to me a lot of iem, also the way more expensive’s one, don’t have that smooth sound the shure se846 has, actually those one’s are the few I actually like. Most iem’s i hate, either to treble happy, to uncomfy, or way waaaaaayy to much focus on the low and mid base.

Se846 with a good amp any time, most iem’s never mind, I will go back to my hifiman arya’s instead

Maybe for 10 years old tech expensive, bit haven’t found a alternative with the same comfort yet.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #47,853 of 88,350
Growing out of the sound many years ago, not fully agree with that, to me a lot of iem, also the way more expensive’s one, don’t have that smooth sound the shure se846 has, actually those one’s are the few I actually like. Most iem’s i hate, either to treble happy, to uncomfy, or way waaaaaayy to much focus on the low and mid base.

Se846 with a good amp any time, most iem’s never mind, I will go back to my hifiman arya’s instead

Maybe for 10 years old tech expensive, bit haven’t found a alternative with the same comfort yet.
Those are good points :) What I meant was that the market in general moved on. But you're right, this kind of sound is now pretty rare. Maybe you should look into the professional IEM market instead, something all BA like the U18s from 64 Audio, or check out what stores for musicians have to offer :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #47,854 of 88,350
Those are good points :) What I meant was that the market in general moved on. But you're right, this kind of sound is now pretty rare. Maybe you should look into the professional IEM market instead, something all BA like the U18s from 64 Audio, or check out what stores for musicians have to offer :)
There are some other few brands, but that smooth neutral signature, man that becomes hard to come by, almost extinct. I moved to planars because of it, but on the move I use the se846

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #47,857 of 88,350
Honestly , Outside of some parts of Asia, there is just no great way to demo gear. Japan has several shops where you can demo IEMs and headphones, and any regular electronics shop that sells rice cookers will sell you gear . USA? Nope unless you live in LA or NYC and even then it’s a speciality shop.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #47,858 of 88,350
Honestly , Outside of some parts of Asia, there is just no great way to demo gear. Japan has several shops where you can demo IEMs and headphones, and any regular electronics shop that sells rice cookers will sell you gear . USA? Nope unless you live in LA or NYC and even then it’s a speciality shop.

Yup tours and meets (and YOLO) are the only way to really demo stuff here in the IEM wilderness of North America.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #47,859 of 88,350
Yup tours and meets (and YOLO) are the only way to really demo stuff here in the IEM wilderness of North America.
At least the first 2 things (understanding meets as canjams) are not available in Europe... and the third, in my case, almost neither 💸💸

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #47,860 of 88,350
Nope, Thats a fun IEM with great bass and warm presentation.

Reference Level IEM is Subtonic Storm, the one, true, Godly Reference IEM.

Makes me wonder if he seen graphs on XE6 like this one.

graph.png

When I try and interpret this graph, it tells me XE6 has "weaker" bass than the Supermoon and Fibae5. I've heard all three (own Supermoon and Fibae5 in fact) and I would expect the XE6 line be above the other two from the 20 - 400Hz range. I thought graphs were "reliable" from 20Hz all the way to 10Khz. Does this mean that XE6 is just mostly upper-bass and most of the "rumble" sensation I felt while auditioning the XE6 is a result of that?

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #47,861 of 88,350
66FD836A-E941-4156-AF4A-059702A6BE82.jpeg

Size comparison between LX (custom) and LOAK-S(CL). Build of the latter is good, and its price point needs to be taken into context. Sound is burning in, fit-wise : just a word of caution that these seems quite petite to me and I can’t seem to make them stay in my ears v well with various tips.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #47,862 of 88,350
Makes me wonder if he seen graphs on XE6 like this one.

When I try and interpret this graph, it tells me XE6 has "weaker" bass than the Supermoon and Fibae5. I've heard all three (own Supermoon and Fibae5 in fact) and I would expect the XE6 line be above the other two from the 20 - 400Hz range. I thought graphs were "reliable" from 20Hz all the way to 10Khz. Does this mean that XE6 is just mostly upper-bass and most of the "rumble" sensation I felt while auditioning the XE6 is a result of that?

You need to normalize the graphs to a standard frequency for better comparison. The standard generally is set to 1kHz or 500Hz but you can change it to whatever you want based on the FR region that graphs similarly between the IEMs you're comparing. It's easier when IEMs are tuned conventionally but gets tricky when they're a little wonky. :sweat_smile: Since conventionally tuned IEMs have the pinna gain peak rise starting at 1kHz, it makes sense to normalise them to 1kHz. 500Hz can be used when IEMs have flat, neutral lower-midrange. Squiglink defaults normalization to 60dB, maybe I should program mine to default the normalization to 1kHz from the start.

Once you normalise them all to 1kHz, this is what you get below. Maybe now the comparison below makes a bit more sense as per how you hear it? XE6 has much more mid-bass and upper-bass from 60-250 Hz as well as much fuller lower-midrange than the other IEMs.

graph (1).png

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #47,863 of 88,350
Squiglink defaults normalization to 60dB, maybe I should program mine to default the normalization to 1kHz from the start.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about the 1K normalizing part. Although the XE6 curve appears to be more "agreeable" to how I hear it. I'd still expect the XE6 curve to rise above in the subbass region.

Anyways, would love to see a set of graphs for Noble Audio Jade and Fatfreq Maestro SE on your Squiglink as those are being considered as my next purchase. I've heard the Jade and and compared it to the Fatfreq Mini Maestro and the Jade was just "better" to my preference all around. Bass was just so much fuller sounding. Even against it's bigger brother Kublai Khan, I'd prefer Jade over it. I'm thinking it's the piezo and the treble tuning of the Khan that killed it for me. I always wonder why the Jade is so low key and not talked about here much less anywhere really.

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #47,864 of 88,350
Another fun fact about micarta,
Some micarta (not all) glows under black light's

Screenshot_20230202_205411_LINE.jpg
I like this! May I know where can I see this on your website? I tried looking for it but may have missed it. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #47,865 of 88,350
@metaljem77
You would need to inquire with HQ and see if we have any in inventory.

SoundSquare (Korea) may have some in inventory as they usually buy all the micarta iems we build (along with Jaben Singapore).

I currently have one block of micarta left.

Screenshot_20230203_074823_LINE.jpg

As far as what technology can be placed in it, pretty much anything we offer, except the Kublai Khan.

Last edited:
Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back