The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #45,887 of 90,127
I play around with EQ A LOT. I heavily prefer not to use EQ because I forget it often times and I find it inconvenient to activate/deactivate it. But it really can make IEMs listenable to me. For example can't listen to the EVO without EQ, but with it's so much fun for me. The same for the Supermoon. I also like using EQ to discover the reviewers targets. Therefore I like using the auto-eq functionality. This is how I "fix" the Supermoon for me:

But I don't like to EQ very aggressively, I try to keep the "identity" of the IEM.

I also like that you gain a lot of insights when EQing into balance of the FR and how certain ferquencies affect the overall sound perception.

What rig do you have that can measure an IEM before and after EQ? I'd like to get one and start playing around with it.

If I have to EQ it at all, I know the tuning isn't right for me. A perfect fit IEM for me sounds right out of the box on direct source.

"Having" to EQ is a different story and I would agree that not being able to listen to an IEM without EQ is a deal breaker. However all of us in this niche community are united by, among other things, the fact that we are likely to nitpick and obsess over small details which would be totally lost on the average consumer. For me EQ is no different than cable rolling, tip rolling, source/amp/DAC rolling...and often a lot less expensive. The key is to find an IEM that, its basic structure and design, is perfect for you...and tweak it from there. Most of my IEMs have been subjected to some form of EQ-- not because they "need" it but because I like to tweak and get things just right for my tastes. That said if something needs more than minor tweaks then I probably won't bother.

As anyone who read my Trifecta review will note it is pretty much my ideal driver setup (3x DDs and very technically capable DDs at that) with what I consider to be the best bass response in the garme right now. This in and of itself places it an echelon above pretty much everything else I've heard for my tastes. The main issues that I noted all stemmed from its vocal response (occasional exaggerated siblance, slight recession sometimes and overall lack of romance in the vocals). Well last night I applied some slight EQ and HOT DAMN the Trifecta has transformed from a bass first IEM to a proper bass/mids focused IEM and pretty much a perfect all rounder for me. Vocals are now universally clear, forward, seductive all all the (ever so slight) sibilance I was hearing is completely gone. I still love and can listen to it all day sans EQ but with a little tweaking it hits a whole other level for me and has entirely muted my desire to seek out a "mids first" IEM. YMMV and all that.

Edit: I also EQ'd a touch of mid-bass into my Gaea and it's taken the raw materials of that epic and open upper mids and highs tuning and added some body and warmth down low-- turning it into a pretty awesome all rounder for me.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #45,888 of 90,127
What rig do you have that can measure an IEM before and after EQ? I'd like to get one and start playing around with it.

"Having" to EQ is a different story and I would agree that not being able to listen to an IEM without EQ is a deal breaker. However all of us in this niche community are united by, among other things, the fact that we are likely to nitpick and obsess over small details which would be totally lost on the average consumer. For me EQ is no different than cable rolling, tip rolling, source/amp/DAC rolling...and often a lot less expensive. The key is to find an IEM that, its basic structure and design, is perfect for you...and tweak it from there. Most of my IEMs have been subjected to some form of EQ-- not because they "need" it but because I like to tweak and get things just right for my tastes. That said if something needs more than minor tweaks then I probably won't bother.

As anyone who read my Trifecta review will note it is pretty much my ideal driver setup (3x DDs and very technically capable DDs at that) with what I consider to be the best bass response in the garme right now. This in and of itself places it an echelon above pretty much everything else I've heard for my tastes. The main issues that I noted all stemmed from its vocal response (occasional exaggerated siblance, slight recession sometimes and overall lack of romance in the vocals). Well last night I applied some slight EQ and HOT DAMN the Trifecta has transformed from a bass first IEM to a proper bass/mids focused IEM and pretty much a perfect all rounder for me. Vocals are now universally clear, forward, seductive all all the (ever so slight) sibilance I was hearing is completely gone. I still love and can listen to it all day sans EQ but with a little tweaking it hits a whole other level for me and has entirely muted my desire to seek out a "mids first" IEM. YMMV and all that.
Funnily enough I was messing with the Parametric EQ on my M9 last night too for the first time (with UAPP app). It blew my socks off how receptive Odyssey is to EQ and how adaptable it is, pulls off the strong V signature very well. I tend to shy away from EQ but I’m most certainly going to experiment a bit now, I tweaked it to make Odyssey have the biggest stage I’ve ever heard in an IEM…. Definitely seems quite time consuming however.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #45,889 of 90,127

Playing with EQ can be fun and different and breathe new life into an existing setup for certain. I guess for me at least, and this is an extension of my personality in general--one DAP, one cable per IEM that lives with it, etc.--at some point I have to stop tweaking my setup and enjoy it as it is. I love discovering new gear, especially if something is weird and different, but in general I enjoy tweaking it less than I do, say, discovering new music.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #45,890 of 90,127
Funnily enough I was messing with the Parametric EQ on my M9 last night too for the first time (with UAPP app). It blew my socks off how receptive Odyssey is to EQ and how adaptable it is, pulls off the strong V signature very well. I tend to shy away from EQ but I’m most certainly going to experiment a bit now, I tweaked it to make Odyssey have the biggest stage I’ve ever heard in an IEM…. Definitely seems quite time consuming however.

I got hooked on EQ at the very beginning when I was trying to add some more bass to my OG Solaris. Since then every IEM I've gotten has been tweaked a bit (I'm a tweaker, lol) and every player I roll with needs to have a decent EQ...which Shanling players have in spades.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #45,891 of 90,127
I got hooked on EQ at the very beginning when I was trying to add some more bass to my OG Solaris. Since then every IEM I've gotten has been tweaked a bit (I'm a tweaker, lol) and every player I roll with needs to have a decend EQ...which Shanling players have in spades.
Curious, which player app do you use with your Shanling? With my M3X I use UAPP. I think it's a great player but I've never been thrilled about the EQ, at least as it works with the M3X. Fortunately I'm very happy with the sound without using it... but anyway.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #45,892 of 90,127
Curious, which player app do you use with your Shanling? With my M3X I use UAPP. I think it's a great player but I've never been thrilled about the EQ, at least as it works with the M3X. Fortunately I'm very happy with the sound without using it... but anyway.

I use the Shanling app. I had the M3X and actually sold it mainly because of its crap EQ. Essentially to get a decent EQ you need to start with their mid-tier offerings (M6 U, say). If you have the means seek out an M6U. In terms of cost/value/portability/tweakablility I'd say it's a contender for best bang for buck on the market right now.

In other news the Mentor tour unit from @UniqueMelody should be landing in my hands today with an unboxing to come tonight. If there is interest I will take photos and post them here.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #45,893 of 90,127
I use the Shanling app. I had the M3X and actually sold it mainly because of its crap EQ. Essentially to get a decent EQ you need to start with their mid-tier offerings (M6 U, say). If you have the means seek out an M6U. In terms of cost/value/portability/tweakablility I'd say it's a contender for best bang for buck on the market right now.
Actually I own an M6U but haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. :D So that's good to hear. And yeah, it is a crap EQ on the M3X. Good sound though... but I'm looking forward to more of the Shanling house sound using the AKM again with the M6U.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #45,894 of 90,127
Ooh, I've head the VxV is really good.

It’s so good.

I wish I held my nose to the branding and just bought it when it came out originally. This is the real deal.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #45,895 of 90,127
Question to all Z1R owners or ex-owners :)

What is, in your opinion, the best cable to pair with?

I've used a Lavricables Ultimate awg24 Silver and a OC Studio OCAuX 4 wire silver gold plated with the Z1R some years ago.

Both were good and very comfortable but now I plan to buy a Z1R again and was wondering what type of cable you're using with the Z1R. Not sure silver and gold plated silver are the best for the 1ZR. ony Kimber Kable which are advertise as an upgrade to the 1ZR default cable are cooper if I'm not wrong.

I'll pair them with a WM1ZM2.

Thanks for your input!

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #45,896 of 90,127

I've used a Lavricables Ultimate awg24 Silver and a OC Studio OCAuX 4 wire silver gold plated with the Z1R some years ago.

Both were good and very comfortable but now I plan to buy a Z1R again and was wondering what type of cable you're using with the Z1R. Not sure silver and gold plated silver are the best for the 1ZR. ony Kimber Kable which are advertise as an upgrade to the 1ZR default cable are cooper if I'm not wrong.

I'll pair them with a WM1ZM2.

Thanks for your input!

I've tried some different cables, and for a good while, really enjoyed the PW FT with them. But with a Sony source, I keep coming back to silver/copper. Currently, as is befitting an iem that's been around for as long as the Z1R, I'm using my oldest cable, a (vintage?) EA Eros II Octa. A little tighter bass, and transparent through the mids and treble, without sibilance. I haven't tried too many cables, because I prefer the security and fit of a Z1R type connector. PlusSound might be a good source, and they do fit cables with the Z1R connector as an option. IMO

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #45,897 of 90,127
Quite fond of the stock cable for IER Z1R myself. It has tricky MMCX connectors so beware.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #45,898 of 90,127
I play around with EQ A LOT. I heavily prefer not to use EQ because I forget it often times and I find it inconvenient to activate/deactivate it. But it really can make IEMs listenable to me. For example can't listen to the EVO without EQ, but with it's so much fun for me. The same for the Supermoon. I also like using EQ to discover the reviewers targets. Therefore I like using the auto-eq functionality. This is how I "fix" the Supermoon for me:

1673276465974.png

But I don't like to EQ very aggressively, I try to keep the "identity" of the IEM.

I also like that you gain a lot of insights when EQing into balance of the FR and how certain ferquencies affect the overall sound perception.
What EQ settings have you used for SM above please?

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #45,899 of 90,127

The stock cable is the most used by an extremely large % after I polled the community.
What do people here think of EQ? I play around with it a lot and most of my IEMs get EQ'd a bit. It's a good alternative to not spending $$$ on cables etc. and where the choice of tips I can use is very limited.
I think the standard thought that EQ is bad is due to the idea that EQ'ing anything is a subtractive process removing valuable sound data and that it is not pure, nor as the artist intended, blah blah blah. OK, old guy audiophile, good one. 😛

I say do what you like. Some EQ's are trash and others sound wonderful. Let thy ears be thy guide.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #45,900 of 90,127
What EQ settings have you used for SM above please?

Tweaking a CFA IEM to a Crinacle target may tear a hole in the fabric of space-time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back