The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #43,561 of 88,468
Agreed. I regularly see statements saying that IEM X (FOTM) is sooo much better than IEM Y (ex FOTM), by comparison from memory. Given how much my IEMs can surprise me when I haven't heard them for a while, I would much rather see statements based on direct comparison. But in the end we all hear differently, best to trust your own ears of course... When I had Jewel I much preferred Traillii in direct comparison. I haven't heard Mentor yet.
I agree. I have even seen some switch from Traillii to 64 Audio which makes no sense to my ears. I will compare again at CanJam to all the rest. In February of 2022 Trailii with Orpheus was still number 1 in my book.

What is great is that there are now a good number of top contenders. In years past this was not the case. Now if only they cost a bit less……

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #43,562 of 88,468
Poll Result: IEM of the year

Mentor - 9
Xe6 - 7
Jewel - 5
Trifecta - 4
Odyssey - 3
Traillii - 2
Evo - 2
Blanc - 2

Kr5
Ne4
IER Z1R
Fibae 5
IE900
Annihilator
Indigo
DC Ti
Storm
Cadenza
Kublai Khan
Ragnar
Sharona
EST50
Ve8
Phonix LE
Phonix
Advar
Dark Sky

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #43,563 of 88,468
Poll Result: IEM of the year

Mentor - 9
Xe6 - 7
Jewel - 5
Trifecta - 4
Odyssey - 3
Traillii - 2
Evo - 2
Blanc - 2

Kr5
Ne4
IER Z1R
Fibae 5
IE900
Annihilator
Indigo
DC Ti
Storm
Cadenza
Kublai Khan
Ragnar
Sharona
EST50
Ve8
Phonix LE
Phonix
Advar
Dark Sky
Why are IEMs from previous years being listed as IEM of the year?

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #43,564 of 88,468
... and to add my 2c, yes, direct A/B is important, but also making sure you are doing it from the same source, playing the same track, with the same gain setting and eq off, and hopefully volume matched due to difference in sensitivity between IEMs. Oh, and try A/Bing at different times of the day. Many times, I collected my sound impressions at night, only to find it skewed when I re-listen again in the morning with rested ears.
Agreed. And so many do not volume match which makes the whole comparison invalid. Humans in general typically prefer the slightly louder IEM, HP or speaker.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #43,565 of 88,468
Agreed. And so many do not volume match which makes the whole comparison invalid. Humans in general typically prefer the slightly louder IEM, HP or speaker.
Is there any way to manually volume match without dedicated equipment?

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #43,566 of 88,468
Why are IEMs from previous years being listed as IEM of the year?

Because I never specified in the question that it had to be a 2022 release. There's actually not very many of us who have heard all or most of the big releases of the year. Sorry for not making this more clear.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #43,567 of 88,468
Is there any way to manually volume match without dedicated equipment?
I use the DecibelX app on my iPhone. I place the IEM’s on the speaker and also listen to the them as well to make sure they are at the same sound level. Then I mark the volume level for each before making direct comparisons. So if one is at 18 and one at 26 for example I just change the volume for each as I compare.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #43,568 of 88,468
I use the DecibelX app on my iPhone. I place the IEM’s on the speaker and also listen to the them as well to make sure they are at the same sound level. Then I mark the volume level for each before making direct comparisons. So if one is at 18 and one at 26 for example I just change the volume for each as I compare.
Ahh I always forget there is a decibel meter on iPhones/Apple Watches. Thanks! Very useful information:pray:

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #43,569 of 88,468
@Lépine @blotmouse @HiFiHawaii808
From reading your responses the OS/NOS choice boils down to the quality of the digital filters they're using in the aparatus. Totally makes sense now that in a budget device like RU6 NOS works best (because it's simple and cheap) while in much more upmarket DACs they can really throw money at optimizing OS. Points well taken...

drftr
Yes, I think the Cayin RU-6 probably due to strict power constraints drawing power from the cellphone must make many concessions to not drain the cellphone battery.
Processor speed most likely has to be minimized, the algorithm I would expect would be simplified to maintain real time performance on a slower processor. OS filter performance on the Cayin is okay.

Today, I am spending time with the RS6 playing the same Hiromi albums "Spark" 24-bit 96Khz WAV and "Another Mind" 24-bit 192Khz WAV. I use WAV format which reduces need of real time conversion. With the RS6 to get close to the RS8, I have used OS mode and AMP Gain set to High and using the Sony IER Z1R 4.4mm. I would say after 45 minutes, it's tonally very close and resolution wise also very close. The amp though just doesn't keep up, it only gets 90-95% at best the dynamics of the RS8 set to Medium Gain. As a result RS6 sounds a little conservative like playing indoors at a home party not trying to disturb the neighbors and doesn't sound like musicians free to play as they would like to. Without the RS8 as a reference, I would have thought the RS6 is doing pretty well :) One could save a lot of money and get a big portion of the sound of the RS8 if you have a very efficient IEM or music that doesn't require the dynamics, or maybe you have a very transparent uncolored portable amp to take the load?

And the big advantage of the RS6 over the initial investment is the weight. So much lighter and smaller.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #43,570 of 88,468
#1 Earbud of 2022?

TGXears ( @tgx78 ) Serratus

I am listening right now with my Chord Poly and Mojo1. So excellent.

I am thinking of buying some over ear protection so I can wear earbuds out and about and have isolation.

32CDEAC4-1ECE-492E-99FE-31801D22FA06.jpeg

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #43,571 of 88,468
Has anyone else seen this ?

It’s a tribute album to Metallica

My favourite track is Mac DeMarco since he’s from my hometown.

Second is the one with Elton John, Miley Cyrus and Yo-Yo Ma!

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #43,572 of 88,468
The best loudspeakers I have ever heard was the original Martin Logan Statement from '88/'89. They still go for about 65k second hand these days so you know what that must have meant over 3 decades ago. Here's a pic (not mine, nor are the speakers, or the model - sad world):

Cn5YBtCUAAAq66J.jpg

These fabulous speakers portrayed one of the best recorded albums for female vocals (you listening @gLer?) Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing like no other. Literally as if she floated 2-3 meters ahead of me and sometimes coming up to a meter instead. So when my IEM demos started in August this year this was one of the recordings that brushed most of them straight into the bin. As if she was glued behind the wall paper. When I heard Suzanne on Traillii at least she was portrayed with perfect dimensions, air, and space, and something similar happened recently with Mentor. But she never floated right before my feet, leaving the band meters behind her.

Up to now. As Sultan does it in the exact same way I heard her decades ago. Of course this is no coincidence as I used the album during my 3 demos. But it is soooo nice to hear it confirmed in a regular music session as it's my ultimate test. There's plenty of things that can be improved on Sultan plus the rest of my mini setup, but this awesome representation is not among them! Otherwordly. Extremely happy.

drftr
All four are Martin Logan Statement speakers? Can't believe refrigerators sound so good.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #43,573 of 88,468
Has anyone else seen this ?

It’s a tribute album to Metallica

My favourite track is Mac DeMarco since he’s from my hometown.

Second is the one with Elton John, Miley Cyrus and Yo-Yo Ma!
yeah Rodrigo y Gabriela played one of their songs. they're awesome if you're into acoustic guitar. There's 0 drum in it...all guitar work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back