The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 15, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #42,916 of 90,633
They can't compete for pure resolution against TOTL BA implementations, but BA sets under $2000 they most def can. And massive bleed issues would only be for subpar DD's. Not the tech in general. Should I say BA's are a problem due to all the ring halo effect, poor timbral accuracy, and tubing noise they illicit? No, that would be a generalized uninformed opinion.
That's fair! It wasn't meant to say DD should never be used, but all drivers have their own pros and cons added on with the tuning. In agreement that DD will not match the pure resolution of TOTL BA at the end of the day and, likewise, I think it is safe to say that pure BA IEMs will also struggle to encapture the bass and its impact of a DD.

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #42,917 of 90,633
It’s just my honest thoughts. I’ve chatted with a few other people who disliked the IEM and they agreed. I could not find a single aspect of Trifecta that comes close to warranting even a sub kilo buck price tag… multiply that by 3 and I am even more baffled.
I know, not questioning your judgement at all. My friend working at a dealer shop told me the same and said it is not worth the asking price.
I can also see myself using that term if I compare with other top performers relative to price.

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #42,918 of 90,633
That's fair! It wasn't meant to say DD should never be used, but all drivers have their own pros and cons added on with the tuning. In agreement that DD will not match the pure resolution of TOTL BA at the end of the day and, likewise, I think it is safe to say that pure BA IEMs will also struggle to encapture the bass and its impact of a DD.
One hundred percent. Unfortunately for us, no single driver type is the audio silver bullet. Mix and match for your preferences to get as close as you can to your dream sound, I say.

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #42,919 of 90,633
There is something satisfying about DD texture that BAs could never replicate. But I'd say BAs have extremely realistic instrument timbre if tuned properly, especially for strings.

For me I don't enjoy ESTs. They require a buttload of power and doesn't seem to provide any noteworthy benefits over traditional BA/Tia treble or equivalent. I haven't heard the Annihilator yet, of course....still waiting for Lee to have the green light to order.

Edit: except for XE6, but that doesn't sound like an EST at all.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #42,920 of 90,633
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #42,921 of 90,633
One hundred percent. Unfortunately for us, no single driver type is the audio silver bullet. Mix and match for your preferences to get as close as you can to your dream sound, I say.
Yes! And that's my hopes with the Trifecta (I mean... almost all my IEMs are pure BAs). All about experimentation and tweaks and figuring out how you hear things as part of the hobby... much to the detriment of our wallets.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #42,922 of 90,633
I do find Phonix to have much better bass than Mentor, however
I’ve got Phonix and Mentor with me as we speak and I couldn’t disagree more with this. Mentor’s bass sounds far more impactful, textured and natural compared to Phonix’s. Ymmv

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #42,923 of 90,633
I’ve got Phonix and Mentor with me as we speak and I couldn’t disagree with this more. Mentor’s bass sounds far more impactful, textured and natural compared to Phonix’s. Ymmv

YMMV indeed.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #42,924 of 90,633
Is Hifiman Svanar a Japan only version? never heard of it nor can find it on Hifiman's website.
Not sure, I think Hifiman releases their newer models in Asian market first

Trifecta is a collector's item IMHO, the unique external & internal design and limited units provides a large part of its value and appeal

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #42,925 of 90,633
3 was always my favorite number.
And I have wandering ears.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #42,926 of 90,633
It'll be interesting to see how I'll like it when mine arrives!

Do your best to approach it with an open mind. I heard Trifecta at CanJam with trepidation as I'd heard a couple negative reports going in and when I put them in I was blown away and to this day their sound still haunts me. It's not for everyone...but man it does what no other IEM I've heard even tries to do. It was my favorite IEM at CanJam SoCal and I heard pretty much everything being hyped right now. A lot will come down to your library and what you are really after. And it wouldn't be a Campfire release if it wasn't polarizing in some way. But that's exactly what I love about that brand-- they chart their own course and do their own thing. I'm exceedingly grateful I have the luxury of hearing things for myself. Were I forced to rely on group consensus I would be be forever searching and probably never happy.

there was insufficient bass and sub bass to feel engaged to the music.

+1

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #42,927 of 90,633
Wow, with the polarized opinions abouit Trifecta, I wish I had demoed it though not sure it was available in CanJam SoCal. It will be an interesting experience.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #42,928 of 90,633
Trifecta is a collector's item IMHO, the unique external & internal design and limited units provides a large part of its value and appeal

I'm sure there will be more releases of it-- it's listed as "Premier Edition" on their website. The unique design and looks are icing on the cake for me-- it's the sound I'm after.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #42,929 of 90,633
Wow, with the polarized opinions abouit Trifecta, I wish I had demoed it though not sure it was available in CanJam SoCal. It will be an interesting experience.

There was a set an CanJam SoCal, think it was at Bloom's booth if I'm remembering correctly. Kicking myself for not listening to it there with my lean towards DDs.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #42,930 of 90,633
I had the Trifecta on pre-order for a few months and eventually, due to the delay, mixed reports and price, I got cold feet and cancelled.

It still intrigues me though as there are some great impressions of it!

I will keep an eye out for a second-hand one and hopefully snap one up at a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back