The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 23, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #40,651 of 88,508
At this moment in time I am inclined to agree with you. I think music choices will make a difference here too as to what people prefer ultimately though, there’s some situations I like RS8 more. From a technical standpoint it isn’t close though, everything about SP3000’s technicals is superior to my ear. So unless RS8 improves there then it’ll be moved on.

Where I hear RS8 to be superior isn’t an improvement enough over SP3000 for where it is inferior to SP3000, again… that’s just to my ears and my own preferences etc etc. :)
Agreed. For some tracks, RS8 can sound better but SP3K can do more. Especially from the technical standpoint, SP3K is in another league. 😄

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #40,652 of 88,508
Agreed. For some tracks, RS8 can sound better but SP3K can do more. Especially from the technical standpoint, SP3K is in another league. 😄

Tonally I really like it for the most part. Just tried it with Elysian Annihilator and thought it was fantastic, just need the sound to open more, especially in terms of width. It doesn’t ever come off as congested but I do find the overall presentation too “intimate” for my tastes, and I’m not overly picky on soundstage size.

I’m not sure why I didn’t pick up on some of these characteristics when I had the demo unit. It’ll be on burn in all holiday weekend :)

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #40,653 of 88,508
Tonally I really like it for the most part. Just tried it with Elysian Annihilator and thought it was fantastic, just need the sound to open more, especially in terms of width. It doesn’t ever come off as congested but I do find the overall presentation too “intimate” for my tastes, and I’m not overly picky on soundstage size.

I’m not sure why I didn’t pick up on some of these characteristics when I had the demo unit. It’ll be on burn in all holiday weekend :)
Time! When I first listen to a new iem, dap, or cable I hear what's really good then what's bad and finally what's missing and this takes time to burn in your ears & brain. :L3000::ksc75smile::gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #40,654 of 88,508
This is a shocker for me. I can’t say I’ve ever heard U12T ever come remotely close to Z1R in dynamics, it’s simply one of U12T’s main weaknesses in fact.

What source are you using, might be under-driving the Z1R
I partly blind-bought the U12t because people raved about its dynamics which was exactly what I was after. I sold them because to me dynamics were bad, especially in mids and bass. I felt zero reason to take them out and enjoy listening to music, no matter how good they are in other regards. But if live music doesn't sound like it I'm out.

If you can carry it, it’s portable.
Nepalese sherpas are not too expensive to rent and they can come up with great food as a bonus.

RS8 is very heavy, it’s quite thick too. The overall footprint isn’t too bad but it’s really going to depend on your own use and wants. If you’re looking for portable then I’m not sure I’d recommend it. When I have it in my pocket my shorts/pants swing because of the weight and it slaps my leg.
To the point that women start asking you what the heck you have there swinging in your pants? 😵

drftr

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #40,655 of 88,508
I partly blind-bought the U12t because people raved about its dynamics which was exactly what I was after. I sold them because to me dynamics were bad, especially in mids and bass. I felt zero reason to take them out and enjoy listening to music, no matter how good they are in other regards. But if live music doesn't sound like it I'm out.

Nepalese sherpas are not too expensive to rent and they can come up with great food as a bonus.

To the point that women start asking you what the heck you have there swinging in your pants? 😵

drftr
Are you suggesting that carrying a RS8 may get you laid?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #40,657 of 88,508
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #40,658 of 88,508
So far the top 3 IEMs for me this year are Aroma Jewel, Custom Art FIBAE 7 Unlimited & Noble Viking Ragnar. My preferred music genre is pop/acoustic which needs strong upper midrange showing. Of course, I have not heard some notable IEMs such as Le Jardin, Multiverse Mentor, Allegro, Odyssey yet.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #40,659 of 88,508
So far the top 3 IEMs for me this year are Aroma Jewel, Custom Art FIBAE 7 Unlimited & Noble Viking Ragnar. My preferred music genre is pop/acoustic which needs strong upper midrange showing. Of course, I have not heard some notable IEMs such as Le Jardin, Multiverse Mentor, Allegro, Odyssey yet.

The Fibae 7 is an IEM I've heard praised for years that I've never gotten around to hearing. Hoping to soon.

I don't think I could pick an absolute top 3 for the year at this point. This year I have heard/owned among other things: Traillii, Phonix, EXT, Xe6, Kr6, Ne4, Jewel, Annihilator, X, Mentor, Fourte, Gaea, Zen Pro, Supermoon, Trifecta, Odyssey, Ragnar. Every single one of those IEMs is (to me) stunningly good in a few key ways and in reality on their own could keep me satisfied for some time. I'll try and do something of a recap of the year once I'm on holidays in a couple weeks.

I felt zero reason to take [the u12t] out and enjoy listening to music, no matter how good they are in other regards.

That was my exact problem with them (though perhaps for different reasons). I've demoed the u12t more times than I can count but on one occasion I had a friend's set on hand for a couple weeks. I had a few others on hand at that time (Solaris SE, VE8, Legend X) and every time I put the u12t in they'd only last 5 min before I'd crave a more engaging set.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #40,660 of 88,508
Just received these ... 😍
DC Ti.png
I don’t remember if I already responded to this before but it’s still in my mass quote so I’ll still add it in anyways 😂

Which Nightjar cable are you using with the DC Ti? I really hope to try the DC Ti sometime soon.

Nice! Glad to see more Trifectas in the wild. Please share your impression in the Trifecta thread, we’d love to see your impressions on the set. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-trifecta.965801/
I’ll definitely put it up as soon as I finish it. I just didn’t have much time today.

I’ll also bring other sources next time, but I do like it off of the WM1Z. I think KB likes the WM1Z too 😂

But not sure what he used to tune since it’s also on the sensitive side. I was on 47 high gain on the 3.5 port with the Trifecta and almost 70 on the SM. There was quite a bit of hiss from the Trifecta.

😃 literally looks made for your ears.
It honestly does… I was worried it won’t be comfy but it was a little too comfy 😂

Waiting for Som impressions...always nice to read on new products
I’ll definitely try to post soon as I go back there on Monday to do a fill on impressions with comparisons.

Though, @dmphile might go tomorrow to try them out too. He can give another set of impressions.

But what I can say is that I actually much prefer it than the SM overall since I don’t have to really EQ it as the tuning character it has is easier to comprehend than the SM. It’s just pure fun with quite a bit of technicalities to boast. And take this with a huge pinch of salt but based on memory, I can put this in higher regard than the Xe6.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #40,661 of 88,508
I don’t remember if I already responded to this before but it’s still in my mass quote so I’ll still add it in anyways 😂

Which Nightjar cable are you using with the DC Ti? I really hope to try the DC Ti sometime soon.

I’ll definitely put it up as soon as I finish it. I just didn’t have much time today.

I’ll also bring other sources next time, but I do like it off of the WM1Z. I think KB likes the WM1Z too 😂

But not sure what he used to tune since it’s also on the sensitive side. I was on 47 high gain on the 3.5 port with the Trifecta and almost 70 on the SM. There was quite a bit of hiss from the Trifecta.

It honestly does… I was worried it won’t be comfy but it was a little too comfy 😂

I’ll definitely try to post soon as I go back there on Monday to do a fill on impressions with comparisons.

Though, @dmphile might go tomorrow to try them out too. He can give another set of impressions.

But what I can say is that I actually much prefer it than the SM overall since I don’t have to really EQ it as the tuning character it has is easier to comprehend than the SM. It’s just pure fun with quite a bit of technicalities to boast. And take this with a huge pinch of salt but based on memory, I can put this in higher regard than the Xe6.

Trifecta is a DD lover's dream. I can't wait to hear one again.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #40,662 of 88,508
The Fibae 7 is an IEM I've heard praised for years that I've never gotten around to hearing. Hoping to soon.

I don't think I could pick an absolute top 3 for the year at this point. This year I have heard/owned among other things: Traillii, Phonix, EXT, Xe6, Kr6, Ne4, Jewel, Annihilator, X, Mentor, Fourte, Gaea, Zen Pro, Supermoon, Trifecta, Odyssey, Ragnar. Every single one of those IEMs is (to me) stunningly good in a few key ways and in reality on their own could keep me satisfied for some time. I'll try and do something of a recap of the year once I'm on holidays in a couple weeks.

That was my exact problem with them (though perhaps for different reasons). I've demoed the u12t more times than I can count but on one occasion I had a friend's set on hand for a couple weeks. I had a few others on hand at that time (Solaris SE, VE8, Legend X) and every time I put the u12t in they'd only last 5 min before I'd crave a more engaging set.
Yea sometimes it's hard to remember by memory. Those 3 IEMs left a great impact on me hence added to my collection.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #40,663 of 88,508
Trifecta is a DD lover's dream. I can't wait to hear one again.
I guess you've been liking quite a bit of treble more recently eh? lol

The Trifecta even though it somewhat takes a backseat in the overall sound, the treble is still pretty spicy. I found treble notes to be fuller and more energetic on the Trifecta. Female vocals were airier too. I really wish I could compare it with the Pathfinder. I still think the Pathy is a better all-rounder though.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #40,664 of 88,508
batman-listen.gif

Redaction/clarification:

We have 13 Gun Barrel Blue Katanas & 2 original color Katanas available

I apologize for the confusion
1669280611792.png

1669280761779.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back