The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #40,396 of 88,893
The Australian Gaea tour units have arrived, so I had to take a quick Elysian family pic :)

0F158029-0136-4325-B7B4-64FAA69D46A4.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #40,397 of 88,893
If you listen to vocals, acoustics or instrumental, I found Ragnar fantastic in evoking pathos and poignancy, that my eyes watered…

66B51C94-4E1B-4EA2-87F4-678708E74468.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #40,399 of 88,893
Please don't do this to me... Can they already be demoed at Jaben?

drftr
Relatively speaking, if you find the Phonix sibilant, then Ragnar is going to make you deaf before the music starts playing.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #40,400 of 88,893
If you listen to vocals, acoustics or instrumental, I found Ragnar fantastic in evoking pathos and poignancy, that my eyes watered…

I definitely see the draw of transparent/ethereal vocals, especially for j/kpop (which is why I got the Blanc), but for me I prefer thick meaty vocals ala Mentor/Phonix. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IU tho, that alone is enough to make anyone's eyes water! (according to some of my die-hard IU fans friends lol)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #40,401 of 88,893
I definitely see the draw of transparent/ethereal vocals, especially for j/kpop (which is why I got the Blanc), but for me I prefer thick meaty vocals ala Mentor/Phonix. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IU tho, that alone is enough to make anyone's eyes water! (according to some of my die-hard IU fans friends lol)
I like both, be it pristine translucent rendition or meaty :) just wanted to say that Ragnar is worth auditioning as many have said it’s “thin”, which though I agree, I have found this attribute not of consequence with certain genres :)
Yeah, I get frequently emotional to the point of tearing when I hear IU sing 🥹

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #40,402 of 88,893
Relatively speaking, if you find the Phonix sibilant, then Ragnar is going to make you deaf before the music starts playing.
I like both, be it pristine translucent rendition or meaty :) just wanted to say that Ragnar is worth auditioning as many have said it’s “thin”, which though I agree, I have found this attribute not of consequence with certain genres :)
Yeah, I get frequently emotional to the point of tearing when I hear IU sing 🥹
I didn't find Phönix sibilant but did have an issue with it being a bit shouty during my first demo, while that didn't show up during the second one. Different unit.

I found most IEMs that I've heard too lean in the mids for vocals and acoustic instruments, so yeah, probably only a miracle would make me prefer Ragnar over Sultan. I have read from quite a few people that have sold Sultan that they wanted more treble and air, and I guess they delivered on that part. I hope reviews like the one from @Tokpakorlo make them adjust downwards a bit for a follow-up. Without feedback they will go nowhere and it goes to show that they do listen to their fan base. 👍

drftr

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #40,404 of 88,893
HI, coolers!

Can anyone recommend the best hybrid IEM all-rounder under $2599? I drew up the following list (excluding EE, Thie, Fir M5):

Softears Cerberus, MEST Indigo, Lime Ears
Pneuma,
Adastra Skyline, Moondrop Solis,
AROMA Witch Girl W6.2

Also have a question about technicalities
of 3 underlined items — still owning my
Monarch OG, which is most pleasant for
my taste, but now longing for something
more — kinda comparison between them,
I would be very grateful for advice! 🙏🏻🙏🏻
🤞🏼another one little reminder 🤞🏼
P. S. CA Supermoon, NA Sultan

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #40,405 of 88,893
@mico1964 how it was for Ody with OTL?
It's a great pairing, with a clear improvement over the stock cable, both in the low end (deeper and with a more defined texture) and in the high end (brighter and more detailed).

For the kind of music I'm listening to right now (instrumental modern jazz) it's the perfect match.

Soon I want to try Odyssey also with First Times, which goes so well with Jewel.

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #40,406 of 88,893
It's a great pairing, with a clear improvement over the stock cable, both in the low end (deeper and with a more defined texture) and in the high end (brighter and more detailed).

For the kind of music I'm listening to right now (instrumental modern jazz) it's the perfect match.

Soon I want to try Odyssey also with First Times, which goes so well with Jewel.
Thx for your comment. I just ordered OTL for my Ody.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #40,409 of 88,893
I didn't find Phönix sibilant but did have an issue with it being a bit shouty during my first demo, while that didn't show up during the second one. Different unit.

I found most IEMs that I've heard too lean in the mids for vocals and acoustic instruments, so yeah, probably only a miracle would make me prefer Ragnar over Sultan. I have read from quite a few people that have sold Sultan that they wanted more treble and air, and I guess they delivered on that part. I hope reviews like the one from @Tokpakorlo make them adjust downwards a bit for a follow-up. Without feedback they will go nowhere and it goes to show that they do listen to their fan base. 👍

drftr
Ahh right now I remember you said shouty, not sibilant.

But then, my statement probably will be the same.....especially when you compare that with the Sultan.

Think Ragnar is coming to HK soon, let's see if it is anything different from the original Viking.

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #40,410 of 88,893

Users who are viewing this thread

Back