The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #35,911 of 89,896
@HiFiHawaii808 @discord and all the other Cooler members I was privileged to meet are great people. Was a beautiful and exhausting couple days I will never forget.

It was a slice everyone...thanks for the memories.

Just wanted to pop-in and say that it was simply awesome meeting some of you guys for the first time, and seeing old friends is always a treasure! :relaxed: Specifically...

@stacey, it was a pleasure talking to you sir! @HiFiHawaii808, so glad you're in the "show circuit" now as they wouldn't be the same without you. @Rockwell75, sorry I met you so briefly, I was probably on my way to deal with something or other. @Skyediver, it's funny I feel like we've met before, but it was great seeing you!

And of course, @morserotonin my old partner in audio crimes going waaayyyy back, was awesome that your birthday coincided with the show! You gotta come down south more often bro! :punch:

At this rate, we might have to set aside a Watercooler Thread table that you guys can use as an HQ during the show. :smile:

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #35,912 of 89,896
On an unrelated note - for the CIEM veterans, audiophile or artist fit? :grimacing: I've always liked the deep fit, basically the deeper the better, but I'm wondering if the audiophile fit is much more comfortable without sacrificing SQ. I figure there's a small tradeoff of slightly less isolation.
I have read on a swiss site which sold the supermoon, that they preferred the artist fit all around. They said the better seal was a more secure fit as well. So that's all I know about that.

I would love to own CIEM as well some day. Supermoon seems like the perfect candidate, but without being able to try them, I won't bother. I am going to wait out on a planar a little more, maybe something else will pop up in a while. A planar and a CIEM is what is sorely missing from my collection so far. Maybe a multi BA, but that's not very high on the priority list for me.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #35,913 of 89,896
At this rate, we might have to set aside a Watercooler Thread table that you guys can use as an HQ during the show. :smile:
Don't forget the 'Watercooler' :wink:

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #35,914 of 89,896
Traillii listing now closed, I did a Scubi and had a quick listen - slapped myself across the face several times, and came to my senses.

A song for those who might have bought...

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #35,915 of 89,896
Traillii listing now closed, I did a Scubi and had a quick listen - slapped myself across the face several times, and came to my senses.
haha, I was wondering, either somebody really wanted the bird that badly or Scuba changed his mind. :D

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #35,916 of 89,896
In the spirit of my desire to promote this thread and community and the fact that Head Fi put our group shot on the front page with my Head Fi impressions I edited my impressions post to include links to the impressions of the different members shown in that picture.

Awesome and it shows value y'all bring to the community!

How about pinning the post to the first page/post so we can easily find it? :thinking:

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #35,917 of 89,896
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #35,918 of 89,896
I auditioned both at Andrews house for about an hour. Ended up buying Kublai. In my opinion, it's not that much difference in sound between them to spend 2k more. Just be aware that Kulbai shells are on bigger side and won't fit smaller ears. I have big ones and they are very comfy. I also tried JOMO GT600, Softears Twilight, Fubae 7U and Kulbai and Ragnar sound better to my ears. Another one I tried was Victory Melody V44 and it was really really good, but, personally, I wouldn't spend 4K to buy them and the shells are even bigger then Kublai shells.

Thanks! I actually auditioned KK when it just came out. I was very impressed but short audition and it's been 2 months already... Haven't heard the Ragnar, thus my question. Trying to see what difference people are hearing. The tech inside is quite different so I'm thinking something really stood out with Ragnar to stand out, especially at show condition.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #35,919 of 89,896
Go for something completely different and more of a fun IEM as a complement to the reference type sound of jewel.

Maybe try the XE6 or EVO
I tried the XE6 but indigo is more different than The same for me. trifecta could of been that different kinda IEM but one you can't buy it anymore from my understanding and idk if it's worth the 3400$ to me.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #35,920 of 89,896
Just wanted to pop-in and say that it was simply awesome meeting some of you guys for the first time, and seeing old friends is always a treasure! :relaxed: Specifically...

@stacey, it was a pleasure talking to you sir! @HiFiHawaii808, so glad you're in the "show circuit" now as they wouldn't be the same without you. @Rockwell75, sorry I met you so briefly, I was probably on my way to deal with something or other. @Skyediver, it's funny I feel like we've met before, but it was great seeing you!

And of course, @morserotonin my old partner in audio crimes going waaayyyy back, was awesome that your birthday coincided with the show! You gotta come down south more often bro! :punch:

Always a pleasure @warrenpchi and yes I need to travel south a bit more often...

I thought we had a table? Oh wait that was the Musicteck booth!

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #35,922 of 89,896
I really didn't give A&K a full and fair hearing. But, that is because I couldn't. They had the units tied down to the table and forensically paired to the Odyssey so that is the only thing I could hear and I couldn't listen to my normal demo playlists. And, since I hate he Ares 2 cable, it sounded too bright to me on the SP3K. It didn't help that I had just heard it with my N8ii with First Times cable. So, I attributed all the faults to the SP3K which is probably unfair. I would need to be able to hear it with the FT Cable and my playlists to give it a fair hearing.
Sorry, wish I knew this. The players were connected via USB C to charge, but could be unplugged and moved. Plenty of people took the SP3000 and/or Odyssey over to the couch or one of the chairs to listen. You didn't need to be tied to the table. We also encouraged people to use their own music on microSD and we had a number of people use their own cables with Odyseey. We also had our own dedicated hotspot and had every streaming service available if someone preferred to use that instead of the music we had preloaded. We are pretty flexible at the shows and encourage people to listen any way they want.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #35,923 of 89,896
On an unrelated note - for the CIEM veterans, audiophile or artist fit? :grimacing: I've always liked the deep fit, basically the deeper the better, but I'm wondering if the audiophile fit is much more comfortable without sacrificing SQ. I figure there's a small tradeoff of slightly less isolation.
Audiophile fit… :wink:

Maybe I’m suspicious about the opinion. Supermoon Audiophile fit on the way. 😈

58559051-1E95-4750-832E-F278DB80513E.jpeg

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #35,925 of 89,896
Meanwhile I'm having the biggest crisis of my audio career. I didn't want to like the Jewel, I didn't want to keep the Jewel, but now all the IEMs I used to like sound wrong. Everything is ruined
Y'know funny thing was, when the Jewel raised hairs on my neck, I was thinking to myself, I need to take these off before I do something really irresponsible...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back