The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 15, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #32,581 of 89,066
Went to the Silk Sonic concert on 8/10. Been busy so I haven't had a chance to post anything about it until now. Wow! This was an incredible concert. I was standing on my feet dancing the entire 1:45 of the concert. It had that much energy and everyone in the front part of the venue did the same. This time I was smart, I didn't get anything to drink before the concert and went to the bathroom before it started so I wouldn't have to take an emergency break in the middle of the concert like I did for Lady Gaga.

Silk Sonic is a perfect blend of an old Motown sound including sublime 3 and 4 part harmonies combined with horns like Earth, Wind and Fire and rhythmic rapping from Anderson.Paak. The groove that they achieved was the most impressive part of the concert. It was so easy to feel the beat of the music to dance to it and follow the sweet chord changes. Anderson.Paak is a great drummer and his rapping is just an extension of his drum set. Combine this with the emotional lead vocals and dancing from Bruno Mars and you get a concert for the ages. I felt 25 again. I have been listening to Silk Sonic debut album every day since April and so it was very helpful to know the lyrics.

I don't have any pictures to show you because they took our phones and put them into secured bags.

Silk sonic.jpg
Great to hear this was a solid show!

Sucks about the taking your phone stuff. I saw Dylan about a month or so ago and he did same. You expect it from him based on reputation. Wouldn’t have thought a modern group would be that way, but there you go. Hope it’s not a growing trend.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #32,582 of 89,066
Talking cases
I use these, about $ 15.00 shipped on AliExpress
Buddy uses them for a long time and gave them a shot
Perfect for my use and I have several now
Actually have one shipped for my N8ii
They have a hard cover inside so resist some pressure
Just to get an idea - my AK Kann Alpha on the lid
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0mLVCs
IMG20220424190450.jpg
Nice! I got a couple coming on someone’s previous post. Didn’t realize it could hold an N8ii too, so that’s a potential nice surprise if I did order the same one. Sometimes it’s hard to tell shopping three. I love Ali Express for their pricing, but their sku management when shopping leaves much to be desired.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #32,583 of 89,066
Great to hear this was a solid show!

Sucks about the taking your phone stuff. I saw Dylan about a month or so ago and he did same. You expect it from him based on reputation. Wouldn’t have thought a modern group would be that way, but there you go. Hope it’s not a growing trend.
I can understand a monetizing performer and their management company trying to keep control, as someone who captures life to share with others, not a fan of that. So few shows allow me to bring a real camera, sometimes you can bring a camera as long as the lens is not longer than X length, or pay for a press pass.

Leave your phone at home or in the car.
I also hope that this is not a growing trend. Rather than let them take my phone I would have to leave and not see the show. Would like to know that in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #32,584 of 89,066
What are those IEM covers you're using?
Those are actually finger sleeve made for people gaming on their phones. Pretty cheap and fits all my iems since it’s stretchable. Highly recommend for super moon and FitEar dcti.
Slightly hassle to put on if you’re on the move but it’s fine if you do more desk listening.
Who ever did more than 07:50 hours listening in one session
The Jewel got me so far ...
Still have 25% left on my N8ii so a few hours to go
Yes day off tomorrow ... 😉👌
Liquid Links Venom definitely is a game changer with the Jewel
IMG20220814184843~2-02.jpeg
Enjoying this: Paolo Nutini - Iron Sky on Qobuz ... 🙏
A great mix between the good old Marvin Gaye sound and a young Zucchero if you ask me ...

Seems like I should try it out too. Problem with venom is that the hooks slips off my ears. Probably because of the extended length on the barrels on my u12t or I have small ears.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #32,585 of 89,066
I can understand a monetizing performer and their management company trying to keep control, as someone who captures life to share with others, not a fan of that. So few shows allow me to bring a real camera, sometimes you can bring a camera as long as the lens is not longer than X length, or pay for a press pass.

Leave your phone at home or in the car.
I also hope that is not a growing trend. Rather than let them take my phone I would have to leave and not see the show. Would like to know that in advance.
Yeah, I get why the artist/management want to force this. My point is our phones have long ago shifted from being “just a device”, but darn near an extension of ourselves. We literally carry our lives on these phones, I don’t want ANYONE taking/touching it, lol. If artists continue to push it, I think there’ll be growing tension there from fans. Or maybe not, we’ll see.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #32,586 of 89,066
Yeah, I get why the artist/management want to force this. My point is our phones have long ago shifted from being “just a device”, but darn near an extension of ourselves. We literally carry our lives on these phones, I don’t want ANYONE taking/touching it, lol. If artists continue to push it, I think there’ll be growing tension there from fans. Or maybe not, we’ll see.
+1

Well I guess I could just draw the performers.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #32,588 of 89,066
Those are actually finger sleeve made for people gaming on their phones. Pretty cheap and fits all my iems since it’s stretchable. Highly recommend for super moon and FitEar dcti.
Slightly hassle to put on if you’re on the move but it’s fine if you do more desk listening.
Thanks, do you have a link you can share please?

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #32,589 of 89,066
Greetings Head-Fi watercooler.

Today I had the great pleasure to attend a mini-meetup in Melbourne with @Damz87, @lycos, @CrocodileDundee and @jaydoc1, all of whom I was delighted to meet. The joy of participation in online communities is truly taken to the next level with in-the-flesh reminders of others out there as nutty we are! How liberating to reveal how much we've pissed awa... uhh "invested wisely" in the hobby without the awkward glances, stunned silences or angry glares. Now I know why heroin addicts shoot up together.

I was extremely fortunate enough to hear a superb selection of IEMs, namely the Traiili, U12T, Fourte Noir, Aroma Jewel, IE900, Elysian X, and later at Addicted to Audio the A8000 and Supermoon. All are distinctively impressive in their own way, though none achieve perfection in every facet in which they can be compared. The critical difference is the magnitude and volume of faults each has, and how important those weaker areas happen to be to your particular listening taste & music collection.

Having only spent a very brief amount of time with each IEM I won't recount detailed impressions except to comment on two in particular - firstly the Supermoon, which significantly impressed (particularly for the asking price) and immediately demonstrated why I expect to hear a lot more about them in the Watercooler in the coming months.

Lastly, the Traiili. This is the best IEM I've heard. It is something special. The hype is real, and more justified than the price. There is a luxurious smoothness this IEM delivers without obscuring any detail that is magical and must be addictive. My IE600s sounded like they rolled out of a KZ factory after listening back-to-back with the Traiilis. The downsides are BA timbre and bass, although both faults are so marginal as to be scaling the heights of nitpickiness. Additionally, there's a correctness of sound which could lean towards politeness. Or perhaps we should blame recording engineers for producing overly polite recordings? Possibly a genre-dependent issue.

My biggest takeway from the afternoon was another timely reminder that the differences between IEMs, DAPs, amps & cables are much smaller than we often tell each other, and even tell ourselves. Which is not to say I'm in any way disillusioned with the hobby or regret my investment, not at all. However I don't think having the latest & greatest is necessarily the be all and end all we can easily fall into the trap of thinking. It is wonderful to own nice things of course, and certainly we can enhance our musical enjoyment significantly with better equipment, but real joy stems from the music itself. It's not what you've got, it's how you use it.

Right now I'm listening to the XRCD version of this remarkable performance, entranced by its' utter sweetness. (3:13 is when the magic starts)

Hey Bosk, was great catching up on the weekend !
I remember you mentioning a liking for DD based iems and I came across another thread mentioning a new single DD iem from Jomo Audio that might interest you.
The site link is https://www.jomoaudio.com/products/s100-uiem and looks promising - am tempted myself (as I've got a bit of a single DD gap in my iem's and love the coherence you get from them) and it's nice to see the price is pretty good for the tech they talk about too.
Will keep a watch on the reports about these new Jomo's with interest...

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #32,590 of 89,066
I was going to recommend Elysium to you because you don't want a lot of bass. I would recommend Annihilator to you, but it definitely has too much bass. The treble is to die for though.
I expected to really really like the Elysium based on my preferences and a lot of reading earlier on. To my surprise I found the total balance to be rather tilted: Lacking a real bass foundation, uncoulored mids that came across a bit too lean for my taste, and too bright up top. Having only 1 of these 3 characteristics would still make it a great contender but putting all 3 together tilts the balance in an unfavourable way for me, and would make it too much genre depending where I'm looking for a work horse really as I don't want to travel with a 2nd backpack full of IEMs. To be honest I've had some rather interesting surprises today. I'll see if I can translate my very short notes into something useable later.

drftr

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #32,591 of 89,066
Thanks, do you have a link you can share please?
i got mine from a singapore site, but on amazon you can try this, do a search for finger sleeve and see if there's cheaper options

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #32,592 of 89,066
Aug 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #32,593 of 89,066
They don't 'Take' your phone. You still have it, but it's locked up so you can't bust it out.
It goes in a magnetic pouch that only can be released by staff when you walk out of the venue. Personally it's great when you can enjoy a comedy show, or such without someone's phone going off, and I can see how some artists will get annoyed by seeing someone being a zombie to their phone instead of enjoying the show.

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #32,594 of 89,066
According to Lee, he has no plans in making another flagship iem atm.. Other than the Effect collab, there would be another iem end of the year. :D
According to him, the price would be between Anni and Diva
I didn't understand .... would this collaboration with audio effect be DIVA with a new color or is it a new model?

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #32,595 of 89,066

Users who are viewing this thread

Back