The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #32,551 of 88,363
Been so tired from work, i've been just skipping pages of text.

Back in the iem game with the Kr5 on the way.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #32,553 of 88,363
Aren’t you an upper mid/pinna gain fiend? Definitely curious to see how you like it.
The short anwser would be yes. The long answer would be it's complicated.

I've heard iems with upper mids/pinna gains where the FR graphs alone made me question my sanity for putting it in my ears, and I was surprised many times to find that it wasn't an issue at all. As long as it's not Phantom or JH levels of dropping off a cliff, I'll be fine.

Also it's Bogdan Audio FiR. Between the updated Kinetic Bass + Tubeless + NotTIA my ears are in good hands.

Also it could be the aesthetic of the KR5 that partially drove my decision :wink:

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #32,554 of 88,363
Hi Rockwell75, and hello to all at the Watercooler,

It’s been busy as usual at work this past week, with nearly not enough time to check on posts from this thread until today. xD
Headfi-postsandmoreposts.jpg

On a Sunday morning (8/14), I stopped by Coffee M.Co (in Koreatown, Los Angeles, California), for a cold brew coffee and a quick bite.

Inside, from the entrance, the cafe has a studio-like & minimalist feel with a mix of industrial and urban themed look in the furnishings to the seating area. There are brick & concrete walls distributed alongside the kitchen and dining area for an open & inviting feel. Adjacent from the concrete walls around the entrance, sleek wood accented walls are done nicely in a well-arranged pattern of rich to deep-brilliant tones of wood, alongside upstairs to the second floor, contrasted with several shades of neutral-tone colored walls and minimalist contemporary furniture and design, for an easy-going & cozy atmosphere.

ColdBrewCoffee-CoffeeMCO-KoreatownLosAngelesCA.jpg
Cold brew coffee (on the second floor of Coffee MCo, in Koreatown, Los Angeles, California, 8/14).
Bold & balanced notes of bitter-sour plum and cherry flavors, with subtle aromas of wood and herb, holding itself together in full lingering body with dark fruit notes and earth toned flavors, and slowly easing off to a mild but smoothly dense finish.

When I headed downstairs to pick up my sandwich and pastry, I noticed some album artworks (from a variety of music artists) displayed along the side of a wall, which I thought gave a nice eclectic feel of urban-contemporary music vibe.
CoffeeMCO-Inside-MidwayFromStairs-KoreatownLosAngelesCA.jpg
On the way downstairs (at Coffee MCo, Koreatown, Los Angeles, California, 8/14).

CoffeeMCO-BreakfastSandwich-CinnamonCoffeeCake-KoreatownLosAngelesCA.jpg
Breakfast sandwich w/ bacon, egg & sausage (left) and cinnamon coffee cake (take-out, from Coffee MCo, Koreatown, Los Angeles, California, 8/14).
Breakfast sandwich was decent with subtly sweet, meaty, moist and fatty flavors with some spice to keep the flavor profiles balanced. Cinnamon coffee cake was good (about ‘above average’) overall but didn’t have anything different that stood out in texture and taste.

While staying on topic of food, going back this past week, on Thursday (8/11), I had the urge to stop by a burger restaurant I haven’t been to in a long while. I stopped by Pie 'N Burger restaurant (in Pasadena, California, 8/11) to get a cheeseburger, a side of chili cheese fries, a slice of apple pie and a banana milkshake for take-out (as all the seats were taken by diners, on that day).
PieNBurger-Building-PasadenaCA.jpg
Pie 'N Burger (view of restaurant, on left side, in Pasadena, California, 8/11).

For a restaurant that’s been making & serving burgers, as well as simple & classic American fare dishes, pies, desserts and milkshakes for nearly 60 years, I must say this restaurant (from the food and service to the atmosphere and hospitality) stands highly to its reputation, with consistent walk-ins of individuals and groups of return customers (and some long-time locals) that dine in and take nearly every available seat before (almost every time I’ve been there from my past visits and dine-ins) the next person walks in and has to be placed on the waitlist for the next available seat.

PieNBurger-PasadenaCA-Cheeseburger-grilledonions.jpg
Cheeseburger (w/ ground beef patty, cheese, grilled onion, cabbage, tomato, pickles, housemade Thousand Island sauce & bun, take-out, from Pie 'N Burger, Pasadena, California, 8/11).
The cheeseburger tasted more rich and flavorful in many ways than what I remembered from the last time I’ve had their cheeseburger (from dine-in, and also take-out) 5-6 years ago. The beef patty, with the supportive medley & combination of sliced tomato, pickles, grilled onion, and housemade Thousand Island sauce held together in the right places with a simple & tasteful bun at each side, came off with a nice succulent balance of moist, juicy, subtly milky-rich and fatty flavors, with a hint of some herbs and spice in the mix to counter and balance out the thick & rich forwardness from the meat, cheese and fattiness from the oils & sauce.

This simple & tasteful burger is up there with the very best burgers (in the top three, I’d say) I’ve tried (with the exception of the Mec burger, with its complex succulent, smoky, tangy and rich flavors from its Bordelaise fusion sauce and other ingredients of some kind done in a clever & well executed way, from Petit Trois) from all the places I’ve dined and been to in Los Angeles, and in some parts of Long Beach, of Southern California. Absolutely no regrets, as I enjoyed every bite and moment. =)

PieNBurger-PasadenaCA-ChiliCheeseFries.jpg
Chili cheese fries (take-out, from Pie 'N Burger, Pasadena, California, 8/11).
Chili cheese fries were alright, as I felt the chili and beans to lack some flavor and substance in texture.

PieNBurger-PasadenaCA-BananaMilkshake-ApplePie.jpg
Banana milkshake and a slice of apple pie (take-out, from Pie 'N Burger, Pasadena, California, 8/11).
Banana milkshake and apple pie were overall decent, albeit a bit too sweet and forward in richness for my liking, with enough balance of subtly smooth & thick, bitter, sweet and tart flavors without getting near the extremes as overly done in any way.

As a follow-up to the most recent surveys, I’m going to follow up from where I left off from my thoughts on the brief write-up I did in my earlier post as to what initially got me started into getting my first set of high-end iems (Sony IER-Z1R, purchased back in July 2020) in another detailed post for another time. But, in short, the main motive behind my first Sony iem purchase was my curiosity in finding out why most of the friends and people I knew bought and owned a set of Sony earphones and/or Sony headphones (and not the more mainstream noise-cancelling headphones such as Bose, or other headphones from designer brands) for most of their lives.

With my KZ AS10 iems (in translucent cyan green/black shells, universal-fit) that I used as my daily set for work at the time (from 2018 to mid-2020), one day at work, all my built-up curiosity and pent-up thoughts just pushed me to the edge of going all in for Sony’s flagship iem, to see what it was all about. Since the day I acquired and listened to IER-Z1R, frequently paired with iBasso DX220 w/ amp8 (and Plus Sound 4-wire spc in 4.4 balanced), sometime from mid-July 2020, my thoughts and views have changed with a more open-minded approach in the kind of sound that can be achieved with great potential from a high-end set of in-ear monitors with a well-thought-out and well-designed chassis, quality materials and finely tuned & configured set of drivers & components in a closely aligned and adjoined form factor. From that point, my portable audio journey opened up a new path and had only just begun, leading me to my never-ending search and pursuit of an enjoyable & engaging set of iems with a musically euphoric and life-like sound that’ll one day get me closer to audio nirvana. =)
Amazon-SonyIER-Z1R-order-072020.jpg
Sony IER-Z1R (purchased from Amazon, in July 2020).

iBassoDX220-amp8-IERZ1R-plussound4wirespc4.4.jpg
Sony IER-Z1R w/ Plus Sound sleeved 4-wire spc cable in 4.4 balanced & iBasso DX220 w/ amp8.

As for the second survey, in what I'd consider as a 'one-and-done' kilobuck iem that I could walk away with from the hobby, here are some of my brief thoughts on iems in the kilobuck range (based on iems I've listened to so far, for some extent of time).

I’ve noticed many of the members here went for MEST (MKII) as their ideal ‘one-and-done’ kilobuck iem of choice, as well as some that have mentioned Thieaudio Monarch (MKII?) and Dunu Zen Pro. I was initially going to make MEST MK1 (universal-fit) as my top choice for a decent versatile kilobuck iem (when I first got my set, in July 2021), as I naturally first found it to be the kind of iem that did most of the things seemingly right with a fun projecting & staging presentation with unique & spacious imaging qualities.
MusicTeck-UMMESTMK1-Universalfit-order.jpg
Unique Melody MEST MK1 (universal-fit, purchased from MusicTeck, sometime in July 2021).

iBassoDX220-amp8-UMMESTMK1-plussound2wirespc4.4.jpg
Unique Melody MEST MK1 (universal-fit) w/ Plus Sound sleeved 2-wire spc cable in 4.4 balanced & iBasso DX220.
I just noticed from this photo that I had the volume level set to 96 at the time, which is unbearably loud at a much higher volume than the volume level I normally listen to. I don't remember what exactly prompted me to do this, but my guess is I was probably trying to get a feel for the bone conduction driver from the shell while the iem was placed in my hand, as I increased the volume up on the DX220 for a brief moment at the time.

However, since my Supermoon ciem arrived (from July 11), with more close listening comparisons I did with MEST MK1 on and off for the past month, I was able to pick out some things MEST MK1 lacked in contrast/comparison to Supermoon. The thing that keeps me from putting MEST MK1 as a kilobuck all-rounder iem is its noticeably smoothed texture & slightly softened body throughout its low end and more noticeably from its upper-mids. Some would argue and say that VE8 is smoothed over more in detail (especially subtle little details and fine sounding instruments in the upper-mid to higher range frequency) and texture, but I think that largely depends on the source (and other components in the chain) that is used with the iem.

That’s not to say pairing and using a more sharp/analytical sounding amp & dac would make a warm/rich sounding iem sound more detailed with a more noticeable improvement. But, I find it has to do with synergy, in subtle and different ways configured materials and parts are made and put together from each source component to get the right median of enjoyment (musicality and unique fun factor) and performance (imaging, sound stage, detail retrieval, dynamics & physicality, transient in speed and decay, tonality & timbre, and so on) with the iem (and with the listener in mind).

After having gone back and forth pairing and listening to MEST MK1 (w/ Plus Sound 2-wire spc in 4.4 balanced) with iBasso DX220 (w/ amp8), iBasso DX300 (w/ amp12) and also Topping DX7 Pro (on low gain, in amp & dac mode), my findings have remained mostly consistent (and about the same w/ Plus Sound 8-wire spc in 4.4 balanced, with slight minor differences) with further listening comparisons where I noticeably found the low end and midrange not being consistent enough in cohesively holding together a full rendering & presentation of subtly fine to finer textures and etched placement/positioning of surface and micro details in instruments, subjects and objects from classical, vocals and some classic rock tracks.

To this day, I have yet to find a kilobuck iem (below or around 1,000 usd) that does nearly most of the things on similar par with fun factor and performance relative to what Supermoon or VE8 can do, which brings me to my next thought.

Knowing my iem/headphone & audio gear experience is very limited, especially not being able to demo iems and daps conveniently nearby Los Angeles, California, and mostly just reading about them as much as I can on Headfi, after all the waiting, hoping, and what if’s and dont’s, I think it’s about time for me to go and see what CanJam’s all about for the fun and experience. I’ll be doing a brief meet with Rockwell75 first thing in the morning on Sunday (9/18, when time permits from his schedule before the show starts). When the show starts at CanJam SoCal, I’ll briefly demo/listen to some iems at some booths before deciding which iems will be my next set of ciems (mainly for use at work and on-the-go during hikes & jogs on trails, whereas my Supermoon ciem stays for use at home) and will likely be getting my ear impressions (for the most accurate and snug fit possible) done at the iem booth (once I narrow down and find the brand/model that best fits my use case and preferences, for on-the-go listening).
CanJamSoCal2022-ticketpurchase.jpg
CanJam SoCal 2022 (I'll be attending the show, from Sunday morning to noon, 9/18).

I’ll also briefly demo/listen to some desktop headphone amplifiers and dacs I’ve narrowed down in looking to try (if available) and know more about, and see which one best fits my overall use case & preferences (with my headphones & iems), namely HeadAmp (GSX MK2 amplifier), Cayin (CS-100 dac) and Shanling (EM7 amp & dac), as I’m not looking to spend too much time at other booths listening to all the other iems, headphones and audio gear.

Aside from all this, the more important thing is to have fun, and if any of you see/recognize me (bald Korean guy with a nike hat, nike shirt, blue jeans and nike shoes, as my ‘one-and-done’ casual daily wear, haha) at the show, feel free to reach out by saying a hello and/or introducing yourself, and I look forward to seeing and meeting you guys there (if any of you are attending CanJam SoCal, on Sunday, from morning to noon, 9/18, that is). =)

-Daniel.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #32,556 of 88,363
It's probably a matter of preference than sheer sound quality improvements but I think the WM1ZM2's tonality makes it sound clearer and more resolving. I much prefer the treble on M2 being more upper treble oriented rather than M1's lower treble emphasis. In my opinion, yes its worth the upgrade but keep in mind that I 100% stream music so the use case is there for me :)
I haven’t tried the N8II much (on SS state), but 1ZM2 was a clear winner for me.

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #32,560 of 88,363
Everything is more colorful than u12t...😔

OK, I run 😂👉😇

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #32,561 of 88,363
I didn't mean that Traillii is more "colorful". I had taken up the sentence where the differences between U12 and Traillii were listed. And I seemed to understand that Traillii was more colorful than U12 from what was stated by RTood
I can't agree. Traillii is that rare case when the added accent does not harm the naturalness at all. Besides, I can't call the pitch 64 natural. For example, Mason 3 is more natural for my taste. If we are talking about pure BAs.
I just picked up a sentence from Rtood where I realized that according to him Traillii was more colorful than U12. Personally I do not find colored trailli.

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #32,562 of 88,363
We say colour like it's a bad thing. In most cases, and for many of us here, colour gives life to how we enjoy our music, be it from the IEM, the source, or any number of tweaks we fuss and finick over. If you like the colour, colour is what you want! 🎨

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #32,563 of 88,363
Went to the Silk Sonic concert on 8/10. Been busy so I haven't had a chance to post anything about it until now. Wow! This was an incredible concert. I was standing on my feet dancing the entire 1:45 of the concert. It had that much energy and everyone in the front part of the venue did the same. This time I was smart, I didn't get anything to drink before the concert and went to the bathroom before it started so I wouldn't have to take an emergency break in the middle of the concert like I did for Lady Gaga.

Silk Sonic is a perfect blend of an old Motown sound including sublime 3 and 4 part harmonies combined with horns like Earth, Wind and Fire and rhythmic rapping from Anderson.Paak. The groove that they achieved was the most impressive part of the concert. It was so easy to feel the beat of the music to dance to it and follow the sweet chord changes. Anderson.Paak is a great drummer and his rapping is just an extension of his drum set. Combine this with the emotional lead vocals and dancing from Bruno Mars and you get a concert for the ages. I felt 25 again. I have been listening to Silk Sonic debut album every day since April and so it was very helpful to know the lyrics.

I don't have any pictures to show you because they took our phones and put them into secured bags.

Silk sonic.jpg

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #32,564 of 88,363
From a DAP perspective I'm hopefully holding out for an RS8. I love the R8's finesse and technicalities and the RS6's alluring R2R sounds, so if HiBy can meld the two sound characteristics, and improve across the board to bring it closer to TOTL Cayin / Shanling / L&P levels, it would be a beautiful thing.

Apart from DAPs, I am increasingly appreciating the benefits of a full size desktop devices in terms of the quality of power, the DAC chip optimisation, and the refinement that comes with solid, clean power. Even for IEMs (the Traillii for example never sounded better than out of the T+A HA200).

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #32,565 of 88,363
Dirrence Traillii vs Mason Fabled ?

Both great. Mason FS has much thicker mids which really bring vocals to life. Traillii has a more balanced signature making it more of all all arounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back