The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #30,857 of 88,944
I sent my first set back for an adjustment, and it still didn't seal right. So I got new impressions and had them make the shell again. But I really wanted a brighter faceplate, the first one was almost black. Plus removing the logo. They are much nicer now, seal is great.

Their CIEMs are some of the best I've ever seen. Beautiful work. They do a shorter canal, so they are very comfortable and not so intrusive as others I've had. They don't fill your ears as much, which for me takes some getting used to, but you can listen all day with zero pressure. Just be warned, when you send them to Aroma they go first to HK. Then they have to ship them to the factory, which is I guess in mainland China, which has crazy COVID decontamination rules and mine spent 3 weeks waiting to be cleared. Then they build them, whole process took 6 weeks.... Ouch. It was a really painful experience for me TBH
interesting, I thought they did everything in HK, didn't know about the China part. I'm actually very tempted to fly to Hongkong direct since I'm only a few hours away

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #30,858 of 88,944
Yep. Noticed. Sold it.

But to my ears it was lower treble, as they dipped the upper mids to oppose the mkii, but didn’t dip the treble as much. The relation got tilted. And those EST’s are grainy to rely so heavily on. Ymmv and all.
Also, the mids were plasticky. (Shrug) I’ll stop. Iol.

I hear that tuning style everywhere to varying success though, and it works for a lot of folk’s libraries. But not really what I like unless it’s borderline not that.

Like, kr5 is a bit like that minus the overall W sig indigo has but it works for me so much more.
Fortunately I don’t hear the Indigo like you did. The upper mids are recessed indeed, which always works well for me, esp. with metal. And the treble doesn’t look overly elevated either. But in general I’m not bothered by peaky treble, eg on Fourte. To each his own, I’m really enjoying the Indigo and I’m happy you like the KR5, which I have yet to hear.

F3B5C248-92B7-4D94-9FDF-A1891169BE60.png

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #30,859 of 88,944
Welp. Just ordered an Annihilator. I’ve got the demo unit back from USA and it made me realise how much I missed its sound. Perhaps a little too much overlap with X but oh well, yolo. 😂

949ADCA4-29B1-42AC-8561-700BF846DC2D.jpeg
Just means you can sell one to an old friend. :wink:

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #30,860 of 88,944
Think there's around 4-500 pages of content for me to catch up on.

Settled with Chiron for my Phonix pairing, I think I preferred it over the Centurion purely because of the vocals. The two cables are quite similar except for the treble, which the Centurion has more energy and sparkle. Chiron has thicker, smoother and slightly more forward mids which made it for me - it basically turns Phonix's strengths up to 11. Technical ability is (nearly) identical. Makes me wonder why one is $2000 more when it is arguably a tuning difference between the two....

Also matte black jacket so I won't notice anything when the cable oxidises lol.

Only other thing on my radar right now is Ode to Laura. Probably not attending the HKAV show this year because there is barely any new stuff.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #30,862 of 88,944
I'm on my final day of a short break and given that it's raining out, I thought I'd spend time with Z1R before putting on classifieds... the spending time bit was clearly a serious schoolboy error, and I should know better by now! Z1R lives to fight another day, maybe I should just admit defeat and accept that I'm a collector and hoarder...

20220802_094835.jpg

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #30,863 of 88,944
I'm on my final day of a short break and given that it's raining out, I thought I'd spend time with Z1R before putting on classifieds... the spending time bit was clearly a serious schoolboy error, and I should know better by now! Z1R lives to fight another day, maybe I should just admit defeat and accept that I'm a collector and hoarder...

20220802_094835.jpg

Z1Rs are great! One forgets how good when away from them! What tips are those?

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #30,865 of 88,944

20220802_094835.jpg
I knew you were going to keep them. Just thought you should know.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #30,866 of 88,944
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #30,869 of 88,944
Crikey the price on MTM is so crazy....especially if you want different sizes, it all adds up!

Amazon Japan FTW! About €10 and lands on my door in less than a week, I typically buy a couple of things while I'm at it to spread the shipping cost on the items.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #30,870 of 88,944
Crikey the price on MTM is so crazy....especially if you want different sizes, it all adds up!
Yep, though Spiral Dots are my faves for comfort, Sony's far cheaper EP-EX11 feel and sound even better to me with Z1R. And you can usually buy them on Amazon Japan too. I also prefer Acoustune's new AEX07 tips to Spirals with the Z1R. The Sony tips tame the treble more and punch up the bass, while AEX opens up the midrange and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back