The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #30,841 of 87,367
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #30,842 of 87,367
Jewel is great for metal and heavier genres. Very clean, super separation, guitars are epic. I spent a good part of today on an Animals As Leaders kick. I'm a big fan of Gojira and Trivium too. Definitely all amazing on the Jewel.
Gojira !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stuck_out_tongue: L'enfant Sauvage (track nr.2) is my prefer.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #30,843 of 87,367
Yeah I increasingly count what people are listening to as absolutely vital - as per @gLer poll not so long ago for the same reason. Its sort of like visiting a busy cosmopolitan town, and asking for a restaurant recommendation - without saying what you enjoy, only to hate the place that was recommended! For example, I found DUNU VULKAN excellent with some genres, not so good with others - with that in mind, I will always test a range of diverse genres in future for reviews - as is the case for Moonlight. Of course a healthy dose of YMMV is applicable for various other reasons, but I think an understanding of genre preferences is a solid foundation.

Token picture of Moonlight🌙

20220724_203640.jpg
Would you recommend the Moonlights as a new IEM?

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #30,844 of 87,367
I might sell mine. Just received it and still testing but so far it doesn’t seem to work well with EDM and metalcore cause it seems to make the upper mids too forward / shouty vocals which is 90% of what I listen to. Has anyone else noticed this?

Too bad cause it is dang good otherwise and magical for live music.
Yep. Noticed. Sold it.

But to my ears it was lower treble, as they dipped the upper mids to oppose the mkii, but didn’t dip the treble as much. The relation got tilted. And those EST’s are grainy to rely so heavily on. Ymmv and all.
Also, the mids were plasticky. (Shrug) I’ll stop. Iol.

I hear that tuning style everywhere to varying success though, and it works for a lot of folk’s libraries. But not really what I like unless it’s borderline not that.

Like, kr5 is a bit like that minus the overall W sig indigo has but it works for me so much more.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #30,845 of 87,367
And you have Red Halo? :p
Yeah, my FOMO moment but I don’t regret it. I use it pretty much only for Asian vocal music in particular - eg. artists like IU, Faye Wong, GAI, Vincy Chan. I like it for its presentation over Jewel (gasp!) 😅

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #30,846 of 87,367
Would you recommend the Moonlights as a new IEM?

I suppose it depends on what you already own, and what you are seeking in a new set. I think Moonlight are a fantastic IEM, excellent value for a tribrid at $650 and a set I listen to almost every day. They are very well balanced, and great for any genre. I published my review for them recently - HERE

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #30,847 of 87,367
My current daily driver is a pair of custom universal Fir Audio V x Vs.

IMG_0682.JPG

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #30,851 of 87,367
I might sell mine. Just received it and still testing but so far it doesn’t seem to work well with EDM and metalcore cause it seems to make the upper mids too forward / shouty vocals which is 90% of what I listen to. Has anyone else noticed this?

Too bad cause it is dang good otherwise and magical for live music.
As much as I like N8ii, I actually preferred indigo running out of MAX as I felt N8ii tipped the scales a touch in the wrong direction for Indigo. For me, they lost a little cohesion between the drivers (more stand out) which made them come across a little peaky. They didn't spend much time together but knowing N8ii fairly well now, I'd be inclined to run it on LdB initially and test waters with MdB. I also found them to be very sensitive to tip choice, epro tws E01 being my favourite, eartune were also on the list to try but moved Indigo on before I got the chance.

They do settle down a bit as well once you've given them a good run in. (IMO).

I'd definitely suggest to give them a little time and play about with them before coming to a conclusion....

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #30,852 of 87,367
I'm curious, why did you reshell it? Apols if you mentioned this earlier...
I sent my first set back for an adjustment, and it still didn't seal right. So I got new impressions and had them make the shell again. But I really wanted a brighter faceplate, the first one was almost black. Plus removing the logo. They are much nicer now, seal is great.

how is their CIEM build quality? I'm very tempted to reshell into customs too but at the moment I can't bear to live without them :frowning2:

Maybe I should purchase customs separate and sell my universals once the custom arrives?
Their CIEMs are some of the best I've ever seen. Beautiful work. They do a shorter canal, so they are very comfortable and not so intrusive as others I've had. They don't fill your ears as much, which for me takes some getting used to, but you can listen all day with zero pressure. Just be warned, when you send them to Aroma they go first to HK. Then they have to ship them to the factory, which is I guess in mainland China, which has crazy COVID decontamination rules and mine spent 3 weeks waiting to be cleared. Then they build them, whole process took 6 weeks.... Ouch. It was a really painful experience for me TBH

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #30,853 of 87,367
I suppose it depends on what you already own, and what you are seeking in a new set. I think Moonlight are a fantastic IEM, excellent value for a tribrid at $650 and a set I listen to almost every day. They are very well balanced, and great for any genre. I published my review for them recently - HERE
Would you recommend these as another one in the collection? It sounds like you do; I have them in the "basket." :D

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #30,854 of 87,367
how is their CIEM build quality? I'm very tempted to reshell into customs too but at the moment I can't bear to live without them :frowning2:

Maybe I should purchase customs separate and sell my universals once the custom arrives?
I'll second Tokpa, build quality is superb IMO. The finishing on the shells is outstanding. But for transparency...I also sent mine back for a reshell as one 2 pin was considerably looser than the other for cable retention which resulted in the shell coming off the cable a few times. I'm assuming the barrels are outsourced so no particular quality issue directly related to Aroma.

Return process was simple (communicated direct with Aroma and also through Andrew to make sure nothing was lost in translation). They went back in 1st July, expecting them back in the next couple of weeks, not too dissimilar a time frame from when I ordered them in the 1st place. It does feel like a long wait but I know its a wait worth doing.

You'd need to weigh up the cost difference for either route yourself but I've been able to get by with a pair of beaters no problem, it's just not nearly the same grin factor though. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back