The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 16, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #27,196 of 88,881
Another night
Makes listening to only more music
Just did the shot here for Tanerélle as you can see
Matching colors ... 😉
IMG20220615211817-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #27,197 of 88,881
Great review. I really enjoyed my time with the Phönix. I think of it often. Exceptional IEM.
Couldn't agree more, I am not the type that changing gears often, But... I had a chance to listen to the Phonix and the EXT, and man! The Phonix is so wonderful sounding.
The sound is sticking to me and I think about it often too... I am saving for it and hope to be able to get it this year.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #27,199 of 88,881
Indeed. They posted on insta overnight with more info. And looks like an $890 MSRP.

Is the "square vibration driver" supposed to be a (bone-conduction) piezo or a planar? :thinking:

I'm thinking planar?

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #27,200 of 88,881
Just spotted a new cable from Liquid Links - the West Lake! It is an OCC silver cable with shielding. Regarding the price, it has not been formally announced yet, but I have learned that it will be below $500.

5CDB1018-F227-48C8-8A7F-605365E701ED.jpeg7C16041D-1802-42CE-B13F-97C0218D814B.jpeg7CDEED32-F33F-4B86-AEAE-7362E9BFAEAF.jpeg

The name “West Lake” and the packaging are inspired by the city that LL is located: Hangzhou. The West Lake is the iconic attraction of Hangzhou.

Sadly, due to shipping reasons, LL will not be able to showcase the cable in the Chicago Canjam, and I am not sure whether Andrew at Musicteck will carry it. But, if you are interested, emailing Andrew about it will highly increase his chance of carrying it! :)
They should have stuck with the pinyin or come up with something more westernized. "West Lake" sounds meh.

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #27,202 of 88,881
Jun 16, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #27,203 of 88,881
@monduvo Apple Music just suggested me another brilliant Hard Rock album, loving it already:

Check it out. Sounds very much in line with Spirits Of Fire. Quite enjoyable.
Hi AceBee,

Glad to see Spirits of Fire has become one of your regular listens and the kind of music you can enjoy & connect with.

I’m not much of a heavy/thrash metal type of guy, but I do like a little variety of flavors and some melody (but not overly done, haha) in the kinds of music I listen to.

I don’t know of other rock artists/bands that are as similar in consistency & forwardness of style and approach as Spirits of Fire, but I do listen to other rock/metal artists in rotation on Tidal when I'm at work, such as Soul Chaser, Gojira, Arch Enemy, Eliminator, Evil Invaders, Machine Heads, and some Megadeth.

Also, here’s a preview of some songs I plan to listen to with Supermoon (my ciems may be completed as early as one business week, starting from Friday, 6/17, yet it will depend on how many orders have to be fulfilled, as well as other related factors), which are mostly on the electronic/synth side and are geared more towards high energy, speed and mix of instruments (with some vocals, and also some rap and instruments in the mix of some songs), from below.

Northlane-Carbonized_Tidal.jpg
Northlane - Carbonized (Tidal)

Joyryde-ImGone_Tidal.jpg
Joyryde - I'm Gone (Tidal)

Zomboy-TheBeast-PhaseOneRemix_Tidal.jpg
Zomboy - The Beast (PhaseOne Remix) (Tidal)

Phaseone-CrashandBurn_Tidal.jpg
Phaseone - Crash & Burn (ft. Northlane) (Tidal)

Thook-Forest_Tidal.jpeg
Thook - Forest (Tidal)

JacobCollier-Clarity_Tidal.jpg
Jacob Collier - Clarity (Tidal)

ImogenHeap-HideandSeek_Tidal.jpeg
Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek (Tidal)

I really hope you like it too. It's thrown my whole audio existence for a loop. For a while now I've thought that the idea of "one IEM to rule them all" for me was a fantasy...now I'm not so sure. How long will it be before you have them?
Hi Rockwell75,

*Update (6/16, 2:44am PST):
It's Thursday here at the time of making this post (6/16), and my ear impressions have arrived at a USPS facility in Portland, Oregon. If USPS can keep moving shipments at this rate, then there is a good possibility that my ear impressions could arrive in the morning or afternoon at Campfire Audio, on Thursday (6/16). Then, again, with delays in transit due to the pandemic, anything goes at this point.

USPS-EarImpressions-ForSupermoonCIEM_06162022.jpeg
Ear impressions shipped and in transit to Campfire Audio for Supermoon ciems (by USPS, Thursday, 6/16).

And, with the date of delivery of my ear impressions estimated to be Friday (or possibly earlier), I’ve read somewhere along the lines from someone’s post on headfi that it took as early as one week for his Supermoon ciems to be made with his ear impressions from start to finish. So, depending on the number of orders that have to be fulfilled, availability of resources and other various unforeseeable factors, I guess we’ll have to be a little patient along the way until the order is ready. =)

Also, I’m looking forward to see if Supermoon can bring a new quality of sound and feel that moves the senses more emotionally, in the hopes of shedding new light and pushing new boundaries on what’s to come next for planar driver iems. :wink:
LosAngelesCountyMuseumOfNaturalHistory-LightPassingThroughMosaicArt.jpg
Mosaic ceiling with domed glass embellished in foliage ornaments and other aesthetic ornaments (Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, in Exposition Park of South Los Angeles, California, from late 2015).

-Daniel.

So much love for Nicely. I saw him at a US National or world barista championship when I used to be in the coffee industry.

A very nice person and a very hard worker. Great style and an eye for design.

His “slowsetta” definitely took the latte art world by storm. Classic.

I would love to travel to LA just to visit his coffee shops.

There is a new cafe opening in my town (Victoria, BC). Bows (previously called “Bow & Arrows”) it’s owned by a guy named Drew. They have a roastery but no cafe open on weekends. The coffee is impeccable. They are super focused on quality and the art of roasting/brewing ect, but more so focussed on farmers and ethical sourcing of coffee. Such good coffee.

Drew hates espresso and begrudgingly makes it. Still the best espresso in town.

Bows currently only have a roasters open Monday-Friday the exact days I am at work. I should maybe try and go there before work sometime, it would be worth it.

I can’t wait until the cafe opens and I have a spot to have a coffee.

Haha. They have a partner cafe in town called Habit but the baristas are too cool for school there, the baristas are openly hostile to customers so I don’t go there. Bad vibes.

There is another place in town called “Hey Happy.” It is excellent. I should go more often.

Hi DanielListening,

I know what you mean with some things you’ve mentioned about certain places where people can give off some distasteful or condescending vibes. I tend to avoid going to the kinds of places that are on the cult-knit side, and usually stick to going to places that are more community-driven, as it’s all about the whole experience (from the hospitality & service to adequate food & drinks and environment) that matters most. Despite how people in society can be of their ways in their own parts of the world, going in the journey with an open mind (and heart, in the best way we can) brings a healthy perspective and a more relatable understanding of people from different upbringings and ways of life in and around food & drink establishments and other places.

With all cynicism aside though, it’s all part of the life’s journey for the enjoyment in experience of living and being of all things to all people (as much as possible), while following our heart and senses (as best as we can).

Turning to other matters, it’s been a fair while since I’ve been to Menotti’s coffee stop from their Venice (in California) location (as the drive towards the coast takes more time out of my schedule).

MenottisCoffeeShop-ShortStackEspresso.jpg
Short stack espresso (at Menotti's coffee stop, in Venice, California).

MenottisCoffeeShop-Selfserve-Lids-Syrup.jpg
Self-serve area (at Menotti's coffee stop, in Venice, California).

And, for the first time, I ordered a 12 oz bag of coffee beans from Menotti’s (from Wednesday, 6/8).
MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-Note.jpeg

MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-TheAnswer-12ozPack.jpeg
Light-medium roast whole bean coffee (12 oz bag, ordered online from Menotti's coffee stop, from 6/8, and received on Monday, 6/13)

MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-TheAnswer-12ozInside.jpeg
Inside 12 oz bag of whole coffee beans (6/13).

MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-TheAnswer-Grinded.jpeg
Light-medium roast whole coffee beans ground down with Ritual Coffee Roasters' coffee bean manual grinder (Monday, 6/13).

MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-TheAnswer-WithMrCoffee.jpeg
Coffee brewed (with a basic Mr. Coffee coffee maker, from Monday, 6/13).

I don’t know if you’ve had a subtly caramel and tart (with fruit notes) kind of coffee on the lighter & soft side from Menotti’s before, but after having made and tried about 12 cups’ portion of medium bodied & tart coffee for the past few days (mostly for work), I think it’s a decent balance between its mellow sweetness with a slight lingering taste of cacao & medium-dense feel of smoky caramel and its emphasis in tartness with some mild fruit notes.

For my tastes and preferences though, I regularly mix it with another bag of coffee beans on the more bold side (from another coffee roaster) to get a more balanced flavor profile and body for a slightly more dense & rich medium-dark roast type of feel & taste. =)

MenottisCoffee-WholeBean-TheAnswer-CupOfCoffee.jpeg
A hot cup of coffee (with light-medium roast coffee from Menotti's, from Monday, 6/13).

-Daniel.

(Photo of mosaic glass & ceiling taken with Samsung Galaxy S phone. Photos of Menotti's short stack espresso and self-serve area taken with Samsung Galaxy S phone. Photos of Menotti's whole bean coffee, ground coffee and brewed coffee taken with iPhone 13 Pro Max.)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #27,205 of 88,881
Is the "square vibration driver" supposed to be a (bone-conduction) piezo or a planar? :thinking:

I'm thinking planar?
The driver configuration written for the prototype, it says planar magnetic type. So 14mm planar probably

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #27,206 of 88,881
Goosebumps all around. Very interesting YT channel and cafe in Japan!

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #27,207 of 88,881
They should have stuck with the pinyin or come up with something more westernized. "West Lake" sounds meh.
In Hanoi, the West Lake is synonymous with a trendy area filled with upmarket restos and expensive real estate!

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #27,208 of 88,881
Just did the shot here for Tanerélle as you can see
oh, i just saw that you also have some gear like a cayin on the picture :p.

Couldn't agree more, I am not the type that changing gears often, But... I had a chance to listen to the Phonix and the EXT, and man! The Phonix is so wonderful sounding.
The sound is sticking to me and I think about it often too... I am saving for it and hope to be able to get it this year.
i was in the same situation but finally decided for the empire odin.

Deep Clean time :)

i have the empire odin, fiio fh7 and the ier-z1r soon. would you recommend such a device?

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #27,209 of 88,881
oh, i just saw that you also have some gear like a cayin on the picture :p.

i was in the same situation but finally decided for the empire odin.

i have the empire odin, fiio fh7 and the ier-z1r soon. would you recommend such a device?
Depends a lot on how much you use, care of your IEMs and earwax you produce.

I personally don't have much earwax (confirmed by the audiologist), but even though I do clean my IEMs every day with alcohol and cleaning tool that comes with the IEM.

I only got the IEM VAC a few months ago and only do a deep clean once a month maybe.

all in all...I know a lot of people don't use the vac and they are ok. So, I think is just an extra step on the IEM care. Not mandatory.

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #27,210 of 88,881
I always look at Campfire but i didn't have one or demoed also.
Andromeda and Solaris in every variants has a lot of review/impressions and i followed also @audio123 impressions https://audio123reviews.com/?s=campfire
Andro Gold Ti was another iem very tempting to find used now, OFC
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda-gold-ti/
Gold Ti sounds as older Gold?

Solaris OG and SE always tempted me, but i read somewhere LE is even better and lastest Solaris Shrink Ray?
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-shrink-ray/

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/campfire-audio-atlas/

Any impressions suggestions from campfire fan boy? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back