The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 4, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #10,966 of 90,171
I don't know if that's true, personally. I hear a fairly even split between the sub- and mid-bass. If anything, there may be the slightest tilt towards the sub-bass to my ears. Crin's measurements show a bit more sub-bass on the EXT than the Z1R too, and it's the Z1R sample with the most sub-bass I'm comparing it against.

Do you have smaller-bore tips on the EXT, perhaps, which roll off the sub-bass?
I know right! I have wide bore Spiral Dots on both IEMs. I was saying to @Damz87 the other day that I hear Z1R and EXT's bass exactly opposite to how they graph. Bizarre.

Edit: most likely it's fit related. I get a fairly shallow fit with Z1R, which lends itself to more cavernous rumble, while a shallow fit is physically impossible with EXT.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #10,967 of 90,171
I know right! I have wide bore Spiral Dots on both IEMs. I was saying to @Damz87 the other day that I hear Z1R and EXT's bass exactly opposite to how they graph. Bizarre.

Edit: most likely it's fit related. I get a fairly shallow fit with Z1R, which lends itself to more cavernous rumble, while a shallow fit is physically impossible with EXT.
Yeah, that could be true. Inserting an IEM too deep can actually harm its sound, as it exerts this pressure or vacuum on your eardrum that doesn't let it receive as much as data as it usually could. Maybe try one of the AZLA tips that have a a deeper bore, which may distance the nozzle a bit from your eardrum. Either way, that's another factor to consider for fit. It isn't just comfort that gets affected. :D

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #10,968 of 90,171
Yeah, that could be true. Inserting an IEM too deep can actually harm its sound, as it exerts this pressure or vacuum on your eardrum that doesn't let it receive as much as data as it usually could. Maybe try one of the AZLA tips that have a a deeper bore, which may distance the nozzle a bit from your eardrum. Either way, that's another factor to consider for fit. It isn't just comfort that gets affected. :D
Indeed. I tried a dozen different tips, with SD by far the most comfy. I'll try some Crystals based on feedback here. I did try Azla shorts but generally find Azla silicone too hard for my delicate ears. 😅

IEM comfort is my gatekeeper nowadays. If I can't wear an IEM comfortably for more than a few hours, sound doesn't come into the equation. EXT straddles that comfort line for me, even with Spirals...

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #10,970 of 90,171
I don't know if that's true, personally. I hear a fairly even split between the sub- and mid-bass. If anything, there may be the slightest tilt towards the sub-bass to my ears. Crin's measurements show a bit more sub-bass on the EXT than the Z1R too, and it's the Z1R sample with the most sub-bass I'm comparing it against.
This is how i found EXT too. But i did have to go a size smaller on cp500 to further tame midbass, as at certain point it became distracting. pure preferences here. I also found it has slightly more bass in general compared Z1R, but i think its purely because there is something in Z1R treble that prevents me to get it louder. Though in isolation i think i like Z1R bass texture more. That EXTs treble though... Mmmm.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #10,971 of 90,171
I haven't indulged in buds in a while, saw these back on Amazon Prime... worth a shot for around €10.

20220204_113906.jpg

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #10,972 of 90,171
Or the final Type E tips, which has a slightly narrower bore, softer texture. They both have lengthy stems. But I found the Type E to be more comfortable to wear, and mellower less glaring in the upper frequency. I also found that distance somehow helps with increasing coherency. allowing the sound to gel more as it travels. But too lengthy, then the sound becomes slightly duller/less clear/distant (talking about getting that last inch, so it's not really that apparent)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #10,975 of 90,171
Isn’t that what the volume knob on a dac is for?

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #10,977 of 90,171
What do you guys think about dip switches on the faceplate? Do passive components count as EQ? I find myself in situations where I would love to tweak the volume of a driver otg depending on my taste atm.

Do you mean like the tuning switches on the QDC Anole VX or Erlkonig where you could adjust either the bass, mids or treble? I owned the Anole VX for a time and I found the switches more of a gimmick after a while. Once I found the setting that I liked best I never changed it anymore. My own bias is that it's better for a thing to try and do one thing really well than many things. Further, I'm more the type who will have more than one IEM on hand to choose from rather than one IEM with different tuning choices. YMMV etc.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #10,978 of 90,171
What do you guys think about dip switches on the faceplate? Do passive components count as EQ? I find myself in situations where I would love to tweak the volume of a driver otg depending on my taste atm.
I personally think they're great. I used the ones on my Lime Ears Aether and EE Zeus-XR all the time. One could argue a potential point of failure, but all my switch-equipped IEMs still work to this day; half-a-decade to a full-decade down the line. I think the key is implementation. I'd love to see a switch-equipped IEM where the two signatures are separated by more than a mere bass boost or treble boost. For example, you could have an IEM with a BA woofer and a DD woofer tuned to a similar curve and SPL, then the switch determines which one turns on. Or, have the BA be on at all times, and wire the switch to just the DD. Then, you can turn the DD on for a different kind of bass boost; a new sensation entirely, rather than just an increase in SPL.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #10,979 of 90,171
Your pulling my leg right? :p
Switches for increasing/decreasing the volume of specific drivers without affecting the others
Sorry must be a dip that doesn’t understand switches, do what you want

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #10,980 of 90,171
I too have many IEMs covering the price spectrum from cheap (- $50 to expensive (+ $1500) . Some do one thing well to EDC that do most things pretty damn good to flagship status. I have no need for switches that alter the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back