The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #9,662 of 91,363
Ive been absent here, I have been battling COVID along with my mother, who is still not doing very well. I am through the worst of it, feeling more like myself today than I have in 5 days. So I am on the upswing. But if you all could send positive vibes over this way for my Mom, I would def appreciate it. Thank you ALL :heart:

All the best man sending some positive watercooler vibes your way.

Nice!

In other news I got this cable in the mail and am enjoying this classy combo tonight.

F3D4B529-6F88-4CAB-BB81-C67996DA9E04.JPEG

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #9,663 of 91,363
All the best man sending some positive watercooler vibes your way.

Nice!

In other news I got this cable in the mail and am enjoying this classy combo tonight.

F3D4B529-6F88-4CAB-BB81-C67996DA9E04.JPEG
How do you like Duo vs Zen Pro?

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #9,664 of 91,363
How do you like Duo vs Zen Pro?

Zen Pro is more balanced, transparent and technical. It also has that beautiful single driver coherence.

Duo has bigger bass and a more bombastic sound overall but is probably a more relaxing listen up top. Mids are nice forward and present but the bass definitely grabs your attention with the Duo in a way it doesn't with Zen Pro. Duo is much closer to Dorado than Zen Pro overall.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #9,665 of 91,363
Hmm I'm not sure if I agree with this entirely, I don't think they are going for the same sort of signature. The Z1R sounds a lot more scooped in the mids when going back and forth and it sounds less natural... I always get the impression that its aiming for a more exciting, club sort of sound whereas the mids of EXT are very present and natural and the treble extends more. I do agree that resolution is clearly a step up over the Z1R and that the soundstage is more convincing. The Z1R still has that 'big' sound going for it though due to the chamber design.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I gave the Z1R my technical award on my CanJam 2019 article, but I felt midrange weight was its main weakness tonally. Michael Bublé sounds dead flat on them. But, it's definitely got chops elsewhere, though.

Ive been absent here, I have been battling COVID along with my mother, who is still not doing very well. I am through the worst of it, feeling more like myself today than I have in 5 days. So I am on the upswing. But if you all could send positive vibes over this way for my Mom, I would def appreciate it. Thank you ALL :heart:
All the best to you and your family, mate. Get well soon!

Stellar! I've sent in my design for the review unit, so I'm hoping it turns out well too. :wink:

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #9,666 of 91,363
Get well soon both you and your Mom. Well wishes, God bless.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #9,667 of 91,363
With all of this being said the Z1R is still a unique sounding IEM but when compared to IEM's at higher price points the shortcomings become obvious.
Upper mids are done well on the Z1R but it's absolutely ass with male vocals IMO. It lacks weight and sounds faint.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on both your points, though I openly admit to NOT being a Michael Bublé fan (sorry @Deezel177). Neil Diamond, Roger Waters, Don Henley...all sound absolutely fantastic on Z1R, as good as I've ever heard them. So we'll leave it at YMMV.
You mean Traillii....right!?! 🤭 😜
Hehe...no!
Sorry to hear that, hope you and your mom recover fully and quickly.
Gorgeous!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #9,668 of 91,363
Get well soon bro.. hope you all speedy recovery..

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #9,669 of 91,363

Sorry to hear - good to hear you are on the mend and sending best wishes across the Atlantic to your Mom.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #9,675 of 91,363
Enjoying some time with the Timeless (haha) this morning and it's still shocking to me how unreasonably good they are for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back