The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #8,551 of 87,975
Interested to hear your thoughts on the RU6 @Rockwell75

I second this curiosity.

I'm using my Zen Pro exclusively with the RU6 and I find the pairing great. Like I'm trying not to log on to HF and get tempted by FOTM great. The texture brought out by the R2R + the Zen Pros already great timbre makes for a super lively sounding listen. But somewhat paradoxically, the RU6 also tames some of the sharpness/metallic timbre I hear with the Zen Pro from other sources.

I'm not sure if it was RU6, Zen Pro and/or brain burn in, but I've found that the RU6 sound has gotten less bloomy and more clear over time. I don't find it wanting for details, but the details seem more natural and less upper mids/treble presence reliant than other sources. Details without etch? The bass is also excellent with the RU6. Textured, pretty tight but with enough phatness to please. I don't notice slight sub-bass roll off anymore, unless I try to hear it.

One thing that I'm finding with the RU6 is that it sounds better with more power. Laptop > DAP > phone. Off my phone it sounds a little soft.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #8,552 of 87,975
It looks like the cable is the difference. From Dunu's page:

No idea which cable is better.

But that discount at MT is something.

Yeah the DUW-03 is the same cable that came with the original ZEN. I prefer the thinner version supplied with the international ZEN PRO in terms of ergonomics.

That certainly is a low price also!

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #8,553 of 87,975
I have a a8000 arriving tomorrow. I got it for near half price and new so in thought it’s worth a shot. I’m guessing it will be too bright for some music but in want to try more classical in 2022

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #8,554 of 87,975
Hey David,

How do you feel about your Volt CIEM now that you've had it for a while? Do they still sound as good as your initial impressions? Especially useful if you can compare a little relative to your Elysium. I'm finally willing to get back into CIEMs after an early negative experience with JH Audio's entry level models, and the Volt is at the top of the pile for me.

My Volt still are one of my top airtime of all my IEMs, it's that good! I stand by everything I wrote in my review. Volt have a unique relaxed yet refined signature that is so soothing for late night listen well hard to find better although the Legend are growing on me these days...

The Elysium is a very different IEM, more vibrant and intense they command your attention! Volt is more grounded and powerful down low, no surprises there and the mids are fuller bodied and much less energetic in the upper range where the Elysium has a lot of bite. Treble wise, the Elysium is more energetic in the lower treble but Volt and its 4 EST provides a more refined and nuanced upper treble.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #8,555 of 87,975
In the dying days of 2021 what's in your cart? Up until this morning all I had was a second set of Sednafit Crystals in mine...but I took the plunge so my cart is empty. It may wind up being the final purchase of the year for me. The fact that I'm not confident enough to say anything stronger than "may" at this late December date is kind of hilarious...but it is what it is.
Nothing. My focus was in getting some accessories for my 'new' smartphone (LG V60 Thinq Dual Screen), and I'm waiting on stock for the new Yamaha RX-V6A receiver to finally upgrade a 10yo Denon and return my 5.1 Yamaha speaker set to balance. Audio is done and dusted for the year, and at least until some interesting flagship R2R DAPs are announced. And I can't see myself dipping back into IEMs or headphones unless one of mine breaks and needs replacing with the exact same model (2022 reviews aside, but that's not on my dime). Being able to hang around the Watercooler without any inclination to even Google let alone buy something is quite liberating I must say.
The Zen Pro may be the first DD IEM I've heard that isn't at its best to my ears through the M8. Synergy with the SR25ii is out of this world good. On the M8 it's a touch energetic in the upper mids at times...not fatiguing or anything but I'm aware of an excess of vibrance here and there. Through the SR25ii it's silky smooth, super resolving and I find myself consistently swept into an audio reverie that's hard to come down from. So glad AK got their act together and started putting 4.4 on their devices.
Source synergy, thinking more about it, is probably my top a-ha moment for 2021. I always knew it existed in the desktop world, in a big way, but never imagined it would be so important with IEMs. Just the fact that my IEMs sound so different out of two different DAPs, as you've discovered, makes 'endgame' far more source dependent. To be fair there are some IEMs that are far more source sensitive than others, and some that scale incredibly well too. As a reviewer I've had to be very upfront as to which sources, tips and cables I'm using, because all three can and do change the very nature of some of the IEMs we hype (or trash). It's all good and well to use one source and stock everything to keep IEM reviews 'balanced' with each other, but I no longer take at face value any reviews that don't factor in different sources, tips and cables, nevermind intangibles like music types and preferences. That's also why for me @twister6's reviews are the bar by which all others are measured.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #8,556 of 87,975
In the dying days of 2021 what's in your cart? Up until this morning all I had was a second set of Sednafit Crystals in mine...but I took the plunge so my cart is empty. It may wind up being the final purchase of the year for me. The fact that I'm not confident enough to say anything stronger than "may" at this late December date is kind of hilarious...but it is what it is.
Say you're eyeing a iem, that costs 600 GBP. B Stock is available for 375 GBP.

Then you saw that an year end sale is announced, and the already discounted B stock item can be further discounted to a much lesser price.

Then you found out that upon request, certain unnecessary items (a 3.5 mm cable for me) can be removed from the package with further reduction of price.

What would you do?

You hit the purchase button.

So did I 🥸

Screenshot_20211228-141639_Gmail.jpg

10 mm ADLC coated CNT DD with Bone Conduction Motors. Was lucky and in time, as it got out of stock soon after.

I know, questions may arise that whether they are indeed good if they're being offered for less than half of its original price. Honestly, before, I would have been almost certain that their original price was nothing but a sham and I'd have the doubt that whether they are worthy at all of their discounted price. But after getting the Splash Of Red, IMR Acoustics has earned my trust, enough to take this plunge before year end! 2021 has been an eventful year to say the least!

On another note, the folks who were teetering on the edge of whether to take the plunge or not, here's a gentle push from me:

Screenshot_20211228-142533_Gmail.jpg

The B stocks are almost as good as new, and the Splash Of Gold and Splash Of Red can be purchased for 114.3 GBP and 121.3 GBP respectively from the Pre-Owned section under Shop.

I truly feel like a shill, being the only one here spreaing the words about IMR 😅 Please be assured that I do not have any vested interest here. Just wanting to make sure you people do not miss a terrific deal.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #8,557 of 87,975
Mest Indigo was bought a few days ago. Hahahaha. 🤷‍♂️
Also, a couple cables for Timeless.

No daps being considered till N8ii or LP7 releases and the impressions roll in.

Really want to hear EVO, EXT, and PHöNIX. And then hopefully get away from all caps spelled iems. Typing them properly on your phone is annoying.
None of those are really blind buy material for me. EXT is the closest, but hopefully Indigo can hold me over till I get to audition them.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #8,558 of 87,975
I second this curiosity.

I'm using my Zen Pro exclusively with the RU6 and I find the pairing great. Like I'm trying not to log on to HF and get tempted by FOTM great. The texture brought out by the R2R + the Zen Pros already great timbre makes for a super lively and "real" sounding listen. But the RU6 also tames some of the sharpness/metallic timbre I hear with the Zen Pro from other sources.

I'm not sure if it was RU6, Zen Pro and/or brain burn in, but I've found that the RU6 sound has gotten less bloomy and more clear over time. I don't find it wanting for details, but the details seem more natural and less upper mids/treble presence reliant than other sources. The bass is also excellent with the RU6. Textured, pretty tight but with enough phatness to please. I don't notice slight sub-bass roll off anymore, unless I try to hear it.

One thing that I'm finding with the RU6 is that it sounds better with more power. Laptop > DAP > phone. Off my phone it sounds a little soft.

Very much my experience too, apart from the source finding - it's actually softer from my Shanling M8 than it is my Samsung Note 9, unfortunately a little too soft for my taste.

It has a really clean sound with plenty of detail and texture and what surprised me the most, and something I think you touched on, was the how it seems to control the upper mids and treble. It doesn't dull this region but it does a excellent job of making things smoother. All my IEMs have actually taken a big jump in staging through the RU6 compared to the M8 so I'm very happy. The M8 still has its magic though and I often need the power it provides for higher impedance buds. I'm finding the RU6 can drive buds up to 64ohm (150ohm at a push).

Only one transducer of mine sounds worse on the RU6 over the M8 and that's a vocal-centric earbud that leans bright and has a very clean vocal tone on the M8. On the RU6 it becomes darker and with a slight grain to vocals that muddies the water.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #8,559 of 87,975
I only have experience with a few DAPs. iBasso, DX160, DX300 and Hiby R6 2020. I just bought the RS6. I think these DACs are better than the DX160 and R6. I think DX300 and RU6 are pretty equivalent in sound quality. These are midfi DAPs. So, I think you need to go $1200 to get comparable sound quality. But, you don't need to buy a smartphone.
So you recon RS6 is somewhere between RS6 ans dx300? Wonder how it compares to dx240... Need a light-ish dap for running ..

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #8,560 of 87,975
Very much my experience too, apart from the source finding - it's actually softer from my Shanling M8 than it is my Samsung Note 9, unfortunately a little too soft for my taste.

It has a really clean sound with plenty of detail and texture and what surprised me the most, and something I think you touched on, was the how it seems to control the upper mids and treble. It doesn't dull this region but it does a excellent job of making things smoother. All my IEMs have actually taken a big jump in staging through the RU6 compared to the M8 so I'm very happy. The M8 still has its magic though and I often need the power it provides for higher impedance buds. I'm finding the RU6 can drive buds up to 64ohm (150ohm at a push).

Only one transducer of mine sounds worse on the RU6 over the M8 and that's a vocal-centric earbud that leans bright and has a very clean vocal tone on the M8. On the RU6 it becomes darker and with a slight grain to vocals that muddies the water.

Have you tried it with a computer? To me the difference between PC and DAP > the difference between DAP and phone.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #8,561 of 87,975
Have you tried it with a computer? To me the difference between PC and DAP > the difference between DAP and phone.

I haven't. I might at some point though, cheers!

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #8,562 of 87,975
If I was going to buy an Audeze planar headphone what's the best option taking into account 1) reasonable cost, 2) sound quality and 3) being easy to drive/not as source sensitive? Asking for a friend.

I’m still dozens of pages behind the latest posts but it seems as though your question went unanswered so I thought I’d offer a couple of observations. I hope they help.

First of all, I’ve not heard many Audeze headphones. I own the LCD-2 Classic. I’ve auditioned the LCD-XC at home, with my own gear (on a loaner tour), and I’ve heard the LCD-2 and the LCD-4 a few times at CanJam.

From having read extensively about Audeze on the forums, it seems as though they typically had a darker - or some might say warmer - sound signature until the latest releases, i.e. from the last year or so. The new headphones - the LCD-X (2021), the LCD-XC, and the LCD-5 - are supposed to have a more neutral, if not brighter sound signature.

Given your preference for bass and mids, I’d recommend that you consider the earlier Audeze headphones. Having said that, the latest LCD-X has been getting lots of praise and you might look into the impressions of it to get a sense of how it fits with your preferences. It sells for $1,200 US and it is reported to be less demanding when it comes to amplification. I’ve seen claims that it can be driven by portable sources (see here).

Most of the higher-end Audezes need plenty of power - and perhaps plenty of current, more specifically - to sound their best. The LCD-2 ($900 US) and my LCD-2 Classic ($800 US) both need a strong desktop amp, although I’ve not heard mine with the transportable iFi DAC/amps, which might do the headphones justice. One exception to the power-hungry headphones is the LCD-GX ($900 US), which is designed for gaming but has nevertheless been attractive to some audiophiles. I’m not sure, offhand, what the sound signature is supposed to be like.

The LCD-2 Classic is a great pair of headphones if you drive it with a powerful amp and if that amp is on the warmer side - for my preferences. The LCD 2-Classic is designed to have a darker tilt to its sound signature, and it is a great headphone for listening to modern pop, rock, and electronic music. That’s its forte. Ideally, it should make for a nice, immersive, rich listening experience - one that’s free of fatigue. Electric guitars sound wonderful with it; while they have a decent amount of bite, what stands out are their crunch and growl. The LCD-2 Classic does the textures of electric guitars beautifully. It also has excellent bass; it’s not particularly emphasized, nor is there a mid-bass hump - the bass is pretty linear down to the low sub-bass region - and it’s fast and, again, well textured. It may not be the tightest bass but it’s really satisfying. Where the LCD-2 Classic comes undone is its uneven upper midrange. There are a few slight peaks and recessions - this is why I advocate for warmer amp pairings - and there’s some grain as you move into the upper-mids and treble. I’m not sure these are great headphones for vocals, and they’re less than ideal for listening to acoustic instruments. By no means are these headphones "accurate" or "neutral" - they're not supposed to be. Look to the LCD-X for those qualities.

The LCD-2 has a different sound to the Classic, albeit one that bears a family resemblance. It likewise needs hefty amplification. I’m not sure if it rectifies the limitations of the LCD-2 Classic’s wonky mids. But it might be worth looking into.

As for amplification, it is commonly understood that Cavalli amps pair well with Audeze headphones. I've seen people praise the pairing of Audeze headphones with the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum, which is a tube hybrid, and even more so with the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X, which is a solid-state amp. That amp's MSRP is close to a grand but if you're patient, it can be had for hundreds of dollars less during periodic sales. I've heard it and it's a great amp; it comes with a DAC in it, so it works as an all-in-one unit, although that DAC isn't the greatest. The slightly warm sounding Schiit Audio Jotunheim 2 is also excellent for planar headphones, and it can also serve as an all-in-one unit with an added DAC module (you can opt for ESS or Multibit). I've heard it and it was may favorite pairing with my LCD-2 Classic.

One last thought: if you’re looking into getting planar headphones, HiFiMan ones will be brighter, perhaps peakier with the Ananda, and HiFiMan is notorious for poor quality control. I won’t buy one that costs more than $500. If you get one, make sure it comes from an authorized dealer and with a decent warranty.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #8,563 of 87,975
I just bought a Hiby RS6 from Musicteck.

I also have a Quedelix 5k in my Amazon cart. I want to try its parametric EQ.

I enjoyed the Timeless for the time I had it. But, I am going to send it back and wait for a higher end product.
@HiFiHawaii808 be patient with RS6 needs a very long burnin, sounds dark out of the box, than warm, around 50-60H became very transparent and then even thin/harsh sometimes but with more hours harshness will disappear and became neutral/warm again.... i did't finish to burn it but i had experiences with desktop ladder dac that needed 300-400H :tired_face:

The Zen Pro may be the first DD IEM I've heard that isn't at its best to my ears through the M8. Synergy with the SR25ii is out of this world good. On the M8 it's a touch energetic in the upper mids at times...not fatiguing or anything but I'm aware of an excess of vibrance here and there. Through the SR25ii it's silky smooth, super resolving and I find myself consistently swept into an audio reverie that's hard to come down from. So glad AK got their act together and started putting 4.4 on their devices.
@Rockwell75 i had same experience with Crassirostris and Mest Mk2, sounded far well with RS6

Mest Indigo was bought a few days ago. Hahahaha. 🤷‍♂️
Also, a couple cables for Timeless.
@blotmouse woooow, indigo looks an amazing all rounder, @Skullar can tell you something about it :ksc75smile:

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #8,564 of 87,975
2021 was an intense and expensive year for me!
I bought and sold a lot of stuff and realized which is my way.
In 2022 i'll buy a real TOTL but i'm always scared about prices, i know i spent a lot of money on mid-tier and on a mid-totl that can be spent on a TOTL but the experiences are worth the money spent (IMHO)
I'm sure i'll learn again so many things in 2022 but right now i think i can't renounce to some DD's in my small collection.
I love my Acoustune HS1677ss it's a funny almost all rounder and Faudio Dark Sky has a place in my collection also.

More i listen to my Aroma's IEMs more i love them and want to explore more models!
Thunder is a perfect all rounder with great SQ
Duet is for my basshead moments and is quite impressive how Aroma tuned 2DD because highs are extended and mids stays clear.
Star in my on the go choice , stunning for voices and incredible how 1BA was tuned, can't compete with Duet on bass and with Thunder on mids for sure but has magic peculiaties and fantastic sound for it price.

So maybe you're thinking what more do I need... I know i've enough iems but curiosity is killing me!
Jewel is my main target for 2022, but i'm thinking Twins should be an headstage iem from Aroma, @Ace Bee study! :D

Some Twins Review:
https://audio123reviews.com/2018/02/21/aroma-musical-box-twins/3/
https://simplyaudiophile.wordpress.com/2018/06/01/review-aroma-audio-twins/
https://www.stereonet.com/au/reviews/review-aroma-audio-early-twins-in-ear-monitors
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aroma-musical-box-twins.23044/reviews
http://www.aboutaudio.org/aroma-audio-early-review-ear-ly-attractive/

I would like to say thanks to all friends who I speak with every day and the great people who shared suggestions and precious feedback.
Please forgive me if I don't quote you because you are so many people and i'll forget someone for sure.... my memory is almost gone :D
Wish you the best my friends

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #8,565 of 87,975
@HiFiHawaii808 be patient with RS6 needs a very long burnin, sounds dark out of the box, than warm, around 50-60H became very transparent and then even thin/harsh sometimes but with more hours harshness will disappear and became neutral/warm again.... i did't finish to burn it but i had experiences with desktop ladder dac that needed 300-400H :tired_face:
+1. A highly rewarding experience that needs plenty of seasoning. It's a fluid platform that is already showing massive potential after two FW updates. Gotta love FPGA-controlled discrete R2R ladder DACs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back