The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 21, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #7,696 of 88,875
I found this incredible Canadian artist, Sarah McLachlan from a post in the Campfire Audio Multiverse thread, and I have fallen in love from the very first track:

I assume @Rockwell75 and @tgx78 would know her already. She has an incredible voice.

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #7,697 of 88,875
2C14F5C7-5D5D-4E67-B745-E3AA867100AC.jpeg

I finally got to hear the U12T thanks to @hlee227. My initial reaction, given my admiring but reserved stance toward the 64audio brand, took me completely by surprise. I freakin’ love this IEM. I love them so much I was literally crying during the audition today. Now I don’t want to return it next week lol. It seems to me that on the way to building a less expensive IEM in their line up, 64 Audio had- either intentionally or accidentally- come upon a new frontier of sound. I knew immediately I need to spend more time exploring this IEM and its tuning decisions.

After about 5 hours of non stop listening which gave me mild dehydration, I am finally in a position to give a small report on the U12T and, by extension, the MX15 and MX20 modules in general. What I can immediately confirm is that the U12T does indeed have a sound that is sculpted differently from all other IEMs I’ve heard to date. To these ears it is a better sound, and I’m going to tell you why.

But first, let’s begin with U12T’s foremost calling card: resolution. Thanks to its remarkable solidity, fluidity, high-grade drivers/internals, and effectiveness of vanishingly low resonance or low distortion tia driver, U12T sounds a shoulder or two above most other IEMs in extracting inner detail. I look at it as literally a detail-extracting perfectionist. For those who savor in-ears that unearth previously obscured details- and who in this hobby doesn’t?- the U12T is a delicious treat.

One of the first things I played through the U12T was the seemingly harsh and messy sounding (on most IEMs) “Stinkfest” from Tool’s masterwork Ænima. The U12T disclosed a previously unheard- even on highly revealing IEMs- exuberance of tiny components in the song’s ever-fascinating percussive underpinning. An already riveting track became even more so.

Furthermore, the inner detail delivered by the U12T manifests itself- without a trace of graininess, mind you- from top to bottom. Quite many in-ear speaker designs do well with midrange detail, but their top or bottom is a relative blur. Not so with the U12T, which is revealing of every nuance no matter where it falls. Further, the U12T doesn’t just produce transient-based detail like the aforementioned percussion; it is equally adept at unearthing timbral information. This is a distinct and complementary type of detail, one whose resolution makes instruments sound more real.

New details are one thing, and I don’t mean to diminish their impact. But for me a far more gripping experience is hearing how multiple musical lines and sonics, are being retrieved, layer on top of the other to create a whole. In truth, this is a much tougher test of an IEM, because one detail or musical event can easily overshadow- or completely obscure- another. Revealing everything at the same time requires not only superior resolution but also near-perfect linearity, phase alignment and timing. The U12T meets these additional requirements, and consequently pulls off the layering feat with unusual aplomb.

Of course, resolution of this caliber is no stranger to few top tiered flagships out there. What I particularly like about the U12T, though, is its ability to not only deconstruct the music, but to put it back together again into a cohesive, organic whole. If I had to choose between ultimate resolution and this ability to present the sum of the musical parts, I would opt for the latter. As it turns out, with the U12T there is no need to choose.

The U12T’s imaging also follows aforementioned resolution chops, which is to say that this IEM is an imaging champ. Few earphones are as adept as the U12T at creating the captivating illusion of a soundstage wholly independent from confined headstage. A soloist and supporting players are exactly where they’re supposed to be, yet without any “Hey, look at me!” hyperbole and, significantly, without drawing attention away from other musical elements. With the U12T, imaging is seamlessly woven into the overall sonic portrait.

Onto the Apex module- It is simply brilliant how I don’t need to worry about any pressure buildup inherent in many sealed BA IEMs. One change I do hear between MX15 and MX20 modules is in the area of increased bass of the MX20. Many reviewers have hailed the tight bass of well implemented BAs, but I have always found them a bit too tight and controlled. I tend to prefer the free-flowing ease of good vented DD designs, even if that means a tad less control. But the U12T offers a nice mixture of ease and control. On my M8, U12T’s bass unfailingly lets music flow without effort or strain. The U12T is equally impressive in other matters of bass. As best I can tell, the move from MX20 to MX15 has not compromised extension in any material way.

If I were being picky about its bass, I would say that in comparison to my reference IER-Z1R, the U12T’s low end is a bit less textured and dynamic. The low notes don’t breathe and bloom quite as marvelously as do notes elsewhere in its musical palette. However, I found that I was only aware of this on the grandest orchestral material.

We now arrive at the category where I hear by far the biggest controversial aspect of U12T sound: voicing. Call it what you will- richness, sweetness, warmth, or boring sound, the tonality of the U12T contrasts with many TOTL’s standard: strictly-neutral or squeaky clean aesthetic or academically tuned (harman research for example). This sweetness is what stole my heart in my short listening session and it immediately made its big presence obvious. Personally I find a slightly warm tonal balance to be consonant with the sound of live music- so long as it is not overdone. The U12T has no difficulty walking that line; its warmth is near natural sounding and certainly not too euphonic.

Listening to the culmination of the U12T’s sonic virtues can be quite a mind-expanding experience as it delivers a newfound vocal lushness, free-flowing bass, clean treble extension and accurate yet organic musicality.

Contact me if you are planning to sell one and willing to ship to Canada.

I found this incredible Canadian artist, Sarah McLachlan from a post in the Campfire Audio Multiverse thread, and I have fallen in love from the very first track:

I assume @Rockwell75 and @tgx78 would know her already. She has an incredible voice.

Yes, she is a great local singer-songwriter.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #7,698 of 88,875
A resolution for 2022 for me is to definitely own a product from 64 Audio or Campfire Audio, I've admired both brands and read huge praise for way too long!

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #7,699 of 88,875
736A4F87-5348-42A0-9FE7-80E9F9DE8270.jpeg

I finally got to hear the U12T thanks to @hlee227. My initial reaction, given my admiring but reserved stance toward the 64audio brand, took me completely by surprise. I freakin love this IEM. I love them so much I was literally crying during the audition today. Now I don’t want to return it next week lol. It seemed to me that on the way to building a less expensive IEM in their line up, 64 Audio had- either intentionally or accidentally- come upon a new frontier of sound. I know immediately I need to spend more time exploring this IEM and its tuning decisions.

After about 5 hours of non stop listening which gave me a mild dehydration, I am finally in a position to give a small report on the U12T and, by extension, the MX15 and MX20 modules in general. What I can immediately confirm is that the U12T does indeed have a sound that is sculpted differently from all other IEMs I’ve heard to date. To these ears it is a better sound, and I’m going to tell you why.

But first, let’s begin with U12T’s foremost calling card: resolution. Thanks to its remarkable solidity, fluidity, high-grade drivers/internals, and effectiveness of vanishingly low resonance or low distortion tia driver, U12T sounds a shoulder or two above most other IEMs in extracting inner detail. I look at it as literally a detail-extracting perfectionist. For those who savor in-ears that unearth previously obscured details- and who in this hobby doesn’t?- the U12T is a delicious treat.

One of the first things I played through the U12T was the seemingly harsh and messy sounding (on most IEMs) “Stinkfest” from Tool’s masterwork Ænima. The U12T disclosed a previously unheard- even on highly revealing IEMs- exuberance of tiny components in the song’s ever-fascinating percussive underpinning. An already riveting track became even more so.

Furthermore, the inner detail delivered by the U12T manifests itself- without a trace of graininess, mind you- from top to bottom. Quite many in-ear speaker designs do well with midrange detail, but their top or bottom is a relative blur. Not so with the U12T, which is revealing of every nuance no matter where it falls. Further, the U12T doesn’t just produce transient-based detail like the aforementioned percussion; it is equally adept at unearthing timbral information. This is a distinct and complementary type of detail, one whose resolution makes instruments sound more real.

New details are one thing, and I don’t mean to diminish their impact. But for me a far more gripping experience is hearing how multiple musical lines and sonics, are being retrieved, layer on top of the other to create a whole. In truth, this is a much tougher test of an IEM, because one detail or musical event can easily overshadow- or completely obscure- another. Revealing everything at the same time requires not only superior resolution but also near-perfect linearity, phase alignment and timing. The U12T meets these additional requirements, and consequently pulls off the layering feat with unusual aplomb.

Of course, resolution of this caliber is no stranger to few top tiered flagships out there. What I particularly like about the U12T, though, is its ability to not only deconstruct the music, but to put it back together again into a cohesive, organic whole. If I had to choose between ultimate resolution and this ability to present the sum of the musical parts, I would opt for the latter. As it turns out, with the U12T there is no need to choose.

The U12T’s imaging also follows aforementioned resolution chops, which is to say that this IEM is an imaging champ. Few earphones are as adept as the U12T at creating the captivating illusion of a soundstage wholly independent from confined headstage. A soloist and supporting players are exactly where they’re supposed to be, yet without any “Hey, look at me!” hyperbole and, significantly, without drawing attention away from other musical elements. With the U12T, imaging is seamlessly woven into the overall sonic portrait.

Onto the Apex module- It is simply brilliant how I don’t need to worry about any pressure buildup inherent in many sealed BA IEMs. One change I do hear between MX15 and MX20 modules is in the area of increased bass of the MX20. Many reviewers have hailed the tight bass of well implemented BAs, but I have always found them a bit too tight and controlled. I tend to prefer the free-flowing ease of good vented DD designs, even if that means a tad less control. But the U12T offers a nice mixture of ease and control. On my M8, U12T’s bass unfailingly lets music flow without effort or strain. The U12T is equally impressive in other matters of bass. As best I can tell, the move from MX20 to MX15 has not compromised extension in any material way.

If I were being picky about its bass, I would say that in comparison to my reference IER-Z1R, the U12T’s low end is a bit less textured and dynamic. The low notes don’t breathe and bloom quite as marvelously as do notes elsewhere in its musical palette. However, I found that I was only aware of this on the grandest orchestral material.

We now arrive at the category where I hear by far the biggest controversial aspect of U12T sound: voicing. Call it what you will- richness, sweetness, warmth, or boring sound, the tonality of the U12T contrasts with many TOTL’s standard: strictly-neutral or squeaky clean aesthetic or academically tuned (harman research for example). This sweetness is what stole my heart in my short listening session and it immediately made its big presence obvious. Personally I find a slightly warm tonal balance to be consonant with the sound of live music- so long as it is not overdone. The U12T has no difficulty walking that line; its warmth is near natural sounding and certainly not too euphonic.

Listening to the culmination of the U12T’s sonic virtues can be quite a mind-expanding experience as it delivers a newfound vocal lushness, free-flowing bass, clean treble extension and accurate yet organic musicality.

Contact me if you are planning to sell one and willing to ship Canada.

Glad to see you enjoying them ^__^

As much as I had with both IEMs.

Really happy to see fellow hobbyist enjoying the music~

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #7,700 of 88,875
I finally got to hear the U12T thanks to @hlee227. My initial reaction, given my admiring but reserved stance toward the 64audio brand, took me completely by surprise. I freakin love this IEM. I love them so much I was literally crying during the audition today. Now I don’t want to return it next week lol. It seemed to me that on the way to building a less expensive IEM in their line up, 64 Audio had- either intentionally or accidentally- come upon a new frontier of sound. I know immediately I need to spend more time exploring this IEM and its tuning decisions.

After about 5 hours of non stop listening which gave me a mild dehydration, I am finally in a position to give a small report on the U12T and, by extension, the MX15 and MX20 modules in general. What I can immediately confirm is that the U12T does indeed have a sound that is sculpted differently from all other IEMs I’ve heard to date. To these ears it is a better sound, and I’m going to tell you why.

have you ever heard the tia trio? if so, wondering how you felt about that vs the U12T

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #7,702 of 88,875
736A4F87-5348-42A0-9FE7-80E9F9DE8270.jpeg

Contact me if you are planning to sell one and willing to ship Canada.

You are a far better word-smith than me, but for all these reasons, one of A12t/N8/A18s is at the top of my priority list for 2022. I'll need to have a sit-down session with the UIEM equivalents at some stage, and the budget cycle will of course be a factor. But I'm fortunate there are a few shops that carry 64audio locally, so getting the CIEM done should be relatively hassle-free.

For now, the U6t and the rest of my gear should keep me happy enough to avoid distractions.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #7,703 of 88,875
I would pick headphones over IEMs if they were more portable. I haven't found any top quality headphones where the handband can be folded, which would be the part to break while travelling. I've seen 1 or 2 where the earpeaces can be folded inward but I don't think that's foolproof enough. Should anyone know of such a thing please let me know.

drftr
Funny story was, i actually went and bought 2.5mm to XLR adapter and plugged my Indigo into Dual mono HP amp Zahl HM1. Its a rare beast. And probably the best amp i have heard. Especially with something like Elites or silimar level HPs.

And i can tell you the results were just silly.
The Indigo was basically keeping up with modded TH900 in terms of punch quantity and most surprisingly, imaging and spaciousness of stage.
Was a remarkable experience. I just regret that i did not come to that idea while i had EXT as it seems to scale well with power.

But yeh if i went full steam investment for desktop gear i would probably go for some ear speakers. The experience is unlike anything other i have heard.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #7,704 of 88,875
One of the advantages of pursuing mid-tier $$ IEMs is that no one of them is so expensive that I'll lose sleep or feel guilty if I don't listen to it every day.
This is exactly why I don't own any mid-tier IEMs (XM4 excluded, but that's a specific use case) and also why I limit myself to one and at most two higher-end IEMs. Because if I don't mind it lying around unused for long stretches of time, why own it, and if I do mind it lying around for more than a few days unused, then I either use it or sell it. Just my world view, skewed as it might be.:sweat:
The thought that Ely, a $2500 IEM, constitutes a "poor man's" version of another IEM is really sad, really hilarious or simultaneously both.
While it's true the Bird (at retail) is worth more than all my gear combined, I don't think the Ely comparison works because aside from Ely's midrange, I don't think it comes close to challenging the Bird on any other metric, nor do the two sound anything alike (based on the reams I've read about Ely and discussed with Ely owners).
Yeah if Timeless represents the entry level version of what that type of driver is capable of then a $1K version scaled up accordingly with better build quality, equally great tuning and some of the few kinks ironed out will slay everything on the market.
...everything except a well-rounded DD because, you know, physics.
U12t are keepers for sure. Listened to them last night on the N3Pro via balanced out and it just sounded so good and "right". Not for one second where I wished "if only it had this or that". Not wanting anything more; just plug and play, and enjoy.
This right here is the U12t's superpower. Some people enjoy finding flaws or 'uniqueness', or want a more lively and energetic sound, in which case they'll probably find U12t boring. But if there's one IEM I'd trust to just pick up and play anything consistently well at the highest level, it's the U12t. The Bird too but then we're talking big bucks. And for me personally the IE 900 fills that role nicely for half the money, with better build and fit, though not admittedly at the technical calibre of U12t or Traillii.

I'm so often astounded in this hobby when people haven't heard of an artist I thought was world famous like Sarah. Track 7 on your playlist, Angel, is for me one of only a few 'perfect' songs, and probably the most poignantly emotional song I've ever heard. I can't sit through a listen without crying. And to hear her sing it is a religious experience.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #7,707 of 88,875
This is exactly why I don't own any mid-tier IEMs (XM4 excluded, but that's a specific use case) and also why I limit myself to one and at most two higher-end IEMs. Because if I don't mind it lying around unused for long stretches of time, why own it, and if I do mind it lying around for more than a few days unused, then I either use it or sell it. Just my world view, skewed as it might be.:sweat:

While it's true the Bird (at retail) is worth more than all my gear combined, I don't think the Ely comparison works because aside from Ely's midrange, I don't think it comes close to challenging the Bird on any other metric, nor do the two sound anything alike (based on the reams I've read about Ely and discussed with Ely owners).

...everything except a well-rounded DD because, you know, physics.

This right here is the U12t's superpower. Some people enjoy finding flaws or 'uniqueness', or want a more lively and energetic sound, in which case they'll probably find U12t boring. But if there's one IEM I'd trust to just pick up and play anything consistently well at the highest level, it's the U12t. The Bird too but then we're talking big bucks. And for me personally the IE 900 fills that role nicely for half the money, with better build and fit, though not admittedly at the technical calibre of U12t or Traillii.

I'm so often astounded in this hobby when people haven't heard of an artist I thought was world famous like Sarah. Track 7 on your playlist, Angel, is for me one of only a few 'perfect' songs, and probably the most poignantly emotional song I've ever heard. I can't sit through a listen without crying. And to hear her sing it is a religious experience.

Not one I know, or at least never listened to before so I will certainly check her out!

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #7,708 of 88,875
Penon Serial shipped with DHL, might just land before Christmas giving me a bonus IEM under the tree! I must say Penon are great to deal with, very fast and supportive in their communication.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #7,709 of 88,875
Penon Serial shipped with DHL, might just land before Christmas giving me a bonus IEM under the tree! I must say Penon are great to deal with, very fast and supportive in their communication.
Yeh i did have some correspondence with them. And it seems they are pretty top notch. Dispatch items quick too.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #7,710 of 88,875
Penon is my favoriteChinese vendor. They make good reasonably priced cables too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back