The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #6,631 of 88,217
On second thought, if you just let the mind go and don't look for it; it's gone.
You'll always find a fault if you're looking for one. Haha

Could it be burn-in? I've been sceptical about it but increasingly accept it - brain or driver but I certainly observe sound improvements, most noticeable actually with Dark Sky. The ZEN PRO tour unit arrived only in a case so I'm guessing it already had hours clocked on it, which I know then eliminates the brain burn angle! - I left it run regardless for about 72 hours, listening though at various intervals.

I'm looking forward anyway to my own unit, only about 12 sleeps away - not that I'm counting 😁

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #6,632 of 88,217
Could it be burn-in? I've been sceptical about it but increasingly accept it - brain or driver but I certainly observe sound improvements, most noticeable actually with Dark Sky. The ZEN PRO tour unit arrived only in a case so I'm guessing it already had hours clocked on it, which I know then eliminates the brain burn angle! - I left it run regardless for about 72 hours, listening though at various intervals.

I'm looking forward anyway to my own unit, only about 12 sleeps away - not that I'm counting 😁
I have personally experienced it on too many occasions to write it off, so it might just be that. Never with BAs though. To various degrees with DD's ,planars and Est drivers.
What I am hearing with Zen Pro is that for me they are not the best all rounder maybe. On some occasions they sound amazing, others not so much. I think I'll let them burn in while not in use to see how it ends up.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #6,633 of 88,217
Its either synergy or the M8 makes everything it plays sound better. Put another two hours on Timeless today, but switched source to M8. Listened again on shuffle to a big mix of music genders. Timeless did not shrill me out today. It was great. Will have to try it back with M6 pro again tomorrow to see if it screeches me out again . Rambling On with Led Zeppelin.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,635 of 88,217
Its either synergy or the M8 makes everything it plays sound better. Put another two hours on Timeless today, but switched source to M8. Listened again on shuffle to a big mix of music genders. Timeless did not shrill me out today. It was great. Will have to try it back with M6 pro again tomorrow to see if it screeches me out again . Rambling On with Led Zeppelin.
Can't rule out you were Dazed And Confused yesterday...

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,636 of 88,217
I have personally experienced it on too many occasions to right it off, so it might just be that. Never with BAs though. To various degrees with DD's ,planars and Est drivers.
What I am hearing with Zen Pro is that for me they are not the best all rounder maybe. On some occasions they sound amazing, others no so much. I think I'll let them burn in while not in use to see how it ends up.

Yeah with Dark Sky at first I thought they didn't suit electronic music, bass felt too bloated but no longer the case at all, fantastic now and stage feels much bigger too. Still on the top spot with IE900, I love what they both offer.

ZEN PRO worked with every genre I threw at them, quite a diverse mix too. Looking forward to actually owning them and further comparisons, especially to Dark Sky as that wasn't in my collection at the time.

The last week has been mostly Dark Sky and some 'special' time with Traillii - the IEM that for me can do no wrong, I don't even care about the lack of a DD, spectacular IEMs!

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #6,637 of 88,217
I have personally experienced it on too many occasions to right it off, so it might just be that. Never with BAs though. To various degrees with DD's ,planars and Est drivers.
What I am hearing with Zen Pro is that for me they are not the best all rounder maybe. On some occasions they sound amazing, others no so much. I think I'll let them burn in while not in use to see how it ends up.
From doing headphones for many years and home and car speaker systems , I have learned to break in Planar and Dynamic drivers and electronics. It was Trevor of Norne Audio that got me breaking in cables. Just try it for at least 100 hours. Listen to cable and IEM for an initial 30-45 minutes. Then burn in for 50ish hours and listen again 30-45 minutes. You might be tempted to stop there, but do the last 50 hours. This will be do it for most DD and Planar drivers. BA drivers don't need it.

Edit: Today my Timeless has smoothed out the longer I listed to them

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #6,638 of 88,217
The timbre of the Zen Pro definitely has a slight metallic edge to it. It's also got a strong upper mid presence-- both of these are tuning choices ie., they comprise the character of the IEM and aren't a flaw per se. I'm usually very sensitive to upper mids and don't have a problem in this particular case-- no matter how long I've got them in my ears. I will say though that sometimes they catch me a little bit when I first put them on but like a hot tub that's too warm I eventually get used to it and it's golden. As with everything, YMMV.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #6,639 of 88,217
Is it genre/album/instrument depending for you Mehran? The pairing? Tips? Something else? The amount of time you have them in your ears perhaps?

drftr
I have been listening to them on and off. I'm not sure really. I have only listened through M8 and with Spiral Dots+ tips and to all kinds of genres. Sometimes they feel they lack in the low end perhaps, and vocals are a tad in your face other times .Not barking though, just in your face. lol

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #6,640 of 88,217
Probably synergy, or I would not have sold off my M8. :ksc75smile:
R01 was just on another level for my tastes and collection.
(I may have just flicked a lit match in jellystone)

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #6,641 of 88,217
I have been listening to them on and off. I'm not sure really. I have only listened through M8 and with Spiral Dots+ tips and to all kinds of genres. Sometimes they feel they lack in the low end perhaps, and upper mids are a tad in your face other times .Not barking though, just in your face. lol

I used AET07 for the entire time I had ZEN PRO as that's what I've been using on ZEN, highly recommend trying them - they've become a top choice for me with many IEMs. Might pull in those upper mids and improve bass for you.

Spiral Dot++ are great but I think more fussy with pairing.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #6,642 of 88,217
I used AET07 for the entire time I had ZEN PRO as that's what I've been using on ZEN, highly recommend trying them - they've become a top choice for me with many IEMs. Might pull in those upper mids and improve bass for you.
Thanks , will give them a go now. I think they came with Timeless.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #6,643 of 88,217
From doing headphones for many years and home and car speaker systems , I have learned to break in Planar and Dynamic drivers and electronics. It was Trevor of Norne Audio that got me breaking in cables. Just try it for at least 100 hours. Listen to cable and IEM for an initial 30-45 minutes. Then burn in for 50ish hours and listen again 30-45 minutes. You might be tempted to stop there, but do the last 50 hours. This will be do it for most DD and Planar drivers. BA drivers don't need it.
An easy way to prove whether burn-in is a thing or not is trying with speaker cables. Although it sounds this would be the most difficult it is not. The reason is that a massive amount of power goes throug the speakers, relatively speaking. I have used this to convert heretics 🙄 by demoing:

Use a well broken-in speaker cable with connectors that can be used on both the power amp and the speaker side. Then do a blindfold test by having a friend turn around the cables 100% and replaying the exact same music fragment. The first few times you'll probably be confused as you don't know what to focus on. Then, after 3-4 times you hear a difference but you don't know what exactly. A few times later you're converted.

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #6,645 of 88,217
@Rockwell75 Sorry for the confusion, it was the following sentence about itunes that made me think you listened primarily using itunes music. Ofc they were local files, silly me. I didn't mean to question the value of your opinion, but I personally think that lossless files sound far more informationally rich than compressed ones, so it would be relevant to me if you do not care about the difference in detail between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back