The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #6,617 of 88,251
Hi @Rockwell75 I am surprised to hear this. Did you simply not have good equipment at the time or do you still not care about audio compression? I think it matters quite a bit in order to understand your listening priorities and reviewing methodology.

Surprised to hear what? That I had an iPod until 2016? What makes you think I don't care about compression? This is all just a hobby for me and everything I write or share is from the perspective of someone sharing their subjective thoughts-- I make no pretence of being a professional reviewer or anything.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #6,618 of 88,251
Wait, you can mention that site now?

Apparently...you still can't link to it though. To this day I've never really understood the history & animosity between HF and "the other place".

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #6,619 of 88,251
So true, I have not found any radio station here on the East Coast that ever plays any of this kind of music. No other way to find out about this that I know of than kind people sharing.
Since my (obviously 😉) non-genre discriminating and 100% tallied music recommendation list reaches 19,064 by now I could expand the basic classical music library that I previously mentioned to basic libraries for other genres as well if there's any interest. This list is built on hundreds of books and websites of music critics that I started building in 2001 but covers music going back all the way to the Middle Ages! This means I could produce for instance the top 25 most critically acclaimed jazz albums even if I hadn't heard a single album myself. So the basic libraries would be produced without any personal preference as in the grander scheme that's not relevant for the ones who want to start with the basics (read: the very best available).

I'm using this system for myself because I wouldn't have a clue where to start when I want to discover a genre that is new to me, so why not starting with what critics that are familiar with maybe hundreds or thousands of albums in that genre consider the cream of the crop?

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #6,620 of 88,251
On SBAF there was quite some focus on the Zen Pro's sometimes rather metallic timbre. But...

In the single DD IEM related notes I took from reviews of the FDX1, FD7, Turii, and even the Luna, I'm reading the exact same thing, so the Zen Pro is number 5 (out of not so many more) that seem to sometimes display the same behaviour. Mind you, most of these reviews were done by single DD addicts! This begs the question whether trying to get too much out of a single dynamic driver can possibly lead to too much driver stress. In other words:

Could it be that the plasticky BA folks have found the perfect stick to fend off the metallic DD crowd?

drftr
I don’t have much experience with single DD's , but the Zen pro is the first one that actually annoys me a bit in the regard. Don’t know if that’ll change or not with brain or physical burn in. I hope it does.
The IE900 doesn’t have it. Ely and Dorado don’t either, they are not single DD's but dynamic drivers do the mids. If you are looking for best timbre nothing comes close to Ely for a delicate and the most natural timbre in my experience. I like the Timeless treble too, it’s not Ely but it’s smooth and pleasant .

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #6,621 of 88,251
Please do. The metallic timbre that is mentioned also give me cause to caution as well.
I didn't get any metallic timbre yet. Just strident mids.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #6,622 of 88,251
I don’t have much experience with single DD's , but the Zen pro is the first one that actually annoys me a bit in the regard. Don’t know if that’ll change or not with brain or physical burn in. I hope it does.
The IE900 doesn’t have it. Ely and Dorado don’t either, they are not single DD's but dynamic drivers do the mids. If you are looking for best timbre nothing comes close to Ely for a delicate and the most natural timbre in my experience. I like the Timeless treble too, it’s not Ely but it’s smooth and pleasant .
On second thought, if you just let the mind go and don't look for it; it's gone.
You'll always find a fault if you're looking for one. Haha

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #6,623 of 88,251
I find the treble very smooth...upper mids are definitely up there and I could see how with the wrong source or tips they could be a bit much. I found a tip swap with the SR25ii to help. They are definitely dynamic IEMs with some bite-- but I personally love that. I don't find them fatiguing in the long term which is hugely important for me. I can listen for hours on end with no fatigue.
Like you had previously stated, it all comes down to synergy.

Neutral and bright IEM's seem to do well on the M8 while warmer/neutral stuff fares better overall, on the Cayin. Timeless's tuning, initially, is matching better with the RU6/Ti for me in the limited out of the box time I've had to hear them. Tomorrow could be different.

Initial impression, Zen Pro technicalities are quite close to Turii (which is something given the price difference) and more refined than Timeless (obvs, price).
Those 2 will be battling for position. It will be interesting for sure. I am not likely to keep 4 single DD's in my collection as there are some significant overlaps. Isa isn't going anywhere, but the other 3...

Regardless of what stays or goes, they are all very good monitors and whether you like one over the other will likely come down to music style preferences and source synergy.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #6,624 of 88,251

Neutral and bright IEM's seem to do well on the M8 while warmer/neutral stuff fares better overall, on the Cayin. Timeless's tuning, initially, is matching better with the RU6/Ti for me in the limited out of the box time I've had to hear them. Tomorrow could be different.

Initial impression, Zen Pro technicalities are quite close to Turii (which is something given the price difference) and more refined than Timeless (obvs, price).
Those 2 will be battling for position. It will be interesting for sure. I am not likely to keep 4 single DD's in my collection as there are some significant overlaps. Isa isn't going anywhere, but the other 3...

Regardless of what stays or goes, they are all very good monitors and whether you like one over the other will likely come down to music style preferences and source synergy.
How is the note weight on the Zen Pro in comparison to Turii? The note weight on Turii was a bit thin for me, although I did not give it ample burn in time....

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #6,625 of 88,251
On second thought, if you just let the mind go and don't look for it; it's gone.
You'll always find a fault if you're looking for one. Haha
I haven't witnessed it on the XM4 myself, which I forgot to include on that list. Maybe it's not an allergy for me, maybe my ears are not good enough, I don't know. I posted it as a discussion point only because it was mentioned by so many single DD lovers. Obviously it wouldn't be a way to praise DD so I thought it should be taken seriously. And since they/we tend to be fast pointing at plasticky BA timbre I thought it might be time to scratch our heads and either stop generalizing or bridge the gap.

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #6,626 of 88,251

So glad I booked a front seat!!!

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #6,627 of 88,251
How is the note weight on the Zen Pro in comparison to Turii? The note weight on Turii was a bit thin for me, although I did not give it ample burn in time....
I'll need to get back to you for an appropriate response. I know what you mean on the Turii, but surprisingly, Turii's midrange is so thic for bass guitar and distortion, but there is a thin airy top audible as well that coats it. It's weird, but I love it.

I need more Zen Pro time to get a real handle on it, but I want it to season a little more before I jump back in and assess.

Edit: off-the-bat Zen has more weight.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #6,628 of 88,251
I haven't witnessed it on the XM4 myself, which I forgot to include on that list. Maybe it's not an allergy for me, maybe my ears are not good enough, I don't know. I posted it as a discussion point only because it was mentioned by so many single DD lovers. Obviously it wouldn't be a way to praise DD so I thought it should be taken seriously. And since they/we tend to be fast pointing at plasticky BA timbre I thought it might be time to scratch our heads and either stop generalizing or bridge the gap.

drftr
I think we are talking about highly capable monitors that took a lot of work and experience to produce. When trying to distinguish these minute differences it's normal that people become over critical. Otherwise any of them will do the job immaculately.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #6,629 of 88,251
I'll need to get back to you for an appropriate response. I know what you mean on the Turii, but surprisingly, Turii's midrange is so thic for bass guitar and distortion, but there is a thin airy top audible as well that coats it. It's weird, but I love it.

I need more Zen Pro time to get a real handle on it, but I want it to season a little more before I jump back in and assess.

Edit: off-the-bat Zen has more weight.
Yes! I experienced that midrange the same as you. It was awesome for classical in that regard.

Thank you for the reply, looking forward to hearing more. I will be single DD-less soon as I will be selling my Eden in search of something different. If anyone is interested please pm me as these deserve a good home. They are not made any longer and somewhat a collectors item as well
As a serious piece of gear.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #6,630 of 88,251
I know this has been posted but this one is very intriguing….
“A full-range IEM that brings the scale and grandeur of a natural setting back to any recording. One for the purist who relishes each sound in its most natural, dynamic state.

It features a stainless-steel shell, a sapphire crystal glass faceplate, equipped with 4 balanced armature drivers, a 10mm dynamic driver for lows, fed into a Kinetic Bass port. Tied together by an electrostatic driver that elevates the track’s finer details. Lifelike resolution, unlike anything you’ve ever heard before.”

401A9D8A-6881-41D8-BF0B-5D67323DA8D6.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back