The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,601 of 88,278
Nice!
I thought I'll share some powerful exotic music too. You might like them.

Enjoying it a lot. I have 5 of his albums including some very interesting collaborations, but these songs were unkown to me.

Any love for Musrat Fateh Ali Khan as well perhaps?? Saw him in concert in Lahore - totally incredible!

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,602 of 88,278
I am looking forward to all the incoming impressions on the Cayin RU6. I was very excited about this product and now I’m just waiting to hear all the reviews.

I have come to the conclusion that DAPs are great and convenient but there is a cost to convenience. I think I’ll be a DAC/amp and dongle guy. Better bang for your buck. However this being said dongles and DACs are starting to be focused on headphones and no IEMs so it might not be a good strategy in the future. Time will tell.
Amazing bang for the buck. RU6 is easily 65% of the R01. The broad strokes are there, it just misses a bit in detail and refinement.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,603 of 88,278
Well, initial impressions are that I am not sure it likes the R01 all that much. But still very early.
Mids and treble are barking and a bit off the chain right now. Only 36 hrs into burn though. Also, cable rolling could help? We'll see.
Please do. The metallic timbre that is mentioned also give me cause to caution as well.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #6,604 of 88,278
Enjoying it a lot. I have 5 of his albums including some very interesting collaborations, but these songs were unkown to me.

Any love for Musrat Fateh Ali Khan as well perhaps?? Saw him in concert in Lahore - totally incredible!

drftr
Yeah , I use to listen to Nustrat Khan a lot. Maybe I should visit again.
Hossein Alizadeh and Mohammad Reza Lotfi are two of my favorites too for traditional Persian instruments.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #6,605 of 88,278
Well, initial impressions are that I am not sure it likes the R01 all that much. But still very early.
Mids and treble are barking and a bit off the chain right now. Only 36 hrs into burn though. Also, cable rolling could help? We'll see.
I am hearing no barking on the M8. The treble is quite smooth for me. Strange you are hearing that way.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #6,606 of 88,278

Interesting, hopefully they need more time - I was excited about trying with R01 as I didn't have it when I had the ZEN Pro tour unit. Although I'm not planning to part with my Sony DAPs so if an issue, I'll use them.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #6,608 of 88,278
That must mean you know the album Faryad - Masters Of Persian Music, right? Truly gorgeous...

drftr
Lol, amazing, I have it in my playlist. When no music is hitting the spot, these always deliver.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #6,609 of 88,278
A necessary clear out commencing, certainly no point keeping the OG ZEN now with PRO on the way... up on classifieds already! SA6 potentially for the chop and maaaaaybe MEST MKII.
I need to do the same. I’ve got daps and iems to sell. I think I’m going to get the zen pro too add to my collection too. I love the fiio fdx so much that in want another dd!

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #6,610 of 88,278
That must mean you know the album Faryad - Masters Of Persian Music, right? Truly gorgeous...

drftr

Lol, amazing, I have it in my playlist. When no music is hitting the spot, these always deliver.
OMG you two!! You are making my day!!!! Thank you!!

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #6,611 of 88,278
On SBAF there was quite some focus on the Zen Pro's sometimes rather metallic timbre. But...

In the single DD IEM related notes I took from reviews of the FDX1, FD7, Turii, and even the Luna, I'm reading the exact same thing, so the Zen Pro is number 5 (out of not so many more) that seem to sometimes display the same behaviour. Mind you, most of these reviews were done by single DD addicts! This begs the question whether trying to get too much out of a single dynamic driver can possibly lead to too much driver stress. In other words:

Could it be that the plasticky BA folks have found the perfect stick to fend off the metallic DD crowd?

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #6,612 of 88,278
OMG you two!! You are making my day!!!! Thank you!!
So true, I have not found any radio station here on the East Coast that ever plays any of this kind of music. No other way to find out about this that I know of than kind people sharing.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,613 of 88,278
From about 2009 - 2016 I went through 4 different iPods and iTunes kept a running count of all the songs
Hi @Rockwell75 I am surprised to hear this. Did you simply not have good equipment at the time or do you still not care about audio compression? I think it matters quite a bit in order to understand your listening priorities and reviewing methodology.

Many thanks in advance

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,614 of 88,278

I find the treble very smooth...upper mids are definitely up there and I could see how with the wrong source or tips they could be a bit much. I found a tip swap with the SR25ii to help. They are definitely dynamic IEMs with some bite-- but I personally love that. I don't find them fatiguing in the long term which is hugely important for me. I can listen for hours on end with no fatigue.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #6,615 of 88,278
I am looking forward to all the incoming impressions on the Cayin RU6. I was very excited about this product and now I’m just waiting to hear all the reviews.

I have come to the conclusion that DAPs are great and convenient but there is a cost to convenience. I think I’ll be a DAC/amp and dongle guy. Better bang for your buck. However this being said dongles and DACs are starting to be focused on headphones and no IEMs so it might not be a good strategy in the future. Time will tell.
I've never been a DAP person myself simply because I never had a use case for them. Always seemed redundant to me to have another music player when I could just use my phone as a transport and I stream my music 99% of the time anyway. So I always looked into just dac/amps and dongles. And I hated the idea of carrying around another bulky device, whereas I will always have a phone with me all the time anyway.

I can see where DAPs have their advantages though like lower noise floor due to less interference and their size to fit higher quality components.

N3Pro was an exception since it's the only dac/amp that had built in tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back