The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #5,867 of 88,869
Of the 4 of those 5 I've heard I'm inclined to say what you want is the Zen Pro-- it's simply the most well rounded & widely appealing...unless there's some specific specialty of one of the others that you're after. I haven't heard the Monarch but I swore off BA mids a while ago and after hearing the Zen Pro earlier today I've lost all interest in pursuing the Monarch (we'll see how long that resolution lasts lmao.

This is my first Dunu. They're one of those brands I've always been aware of and who people I trust have spoken highly of-- but whose IEMs to this point have never crossed my path of landed on my radar.

The Zen Pro are insanely good...I'm floored actually. As a rule the IEMs I gravitate towards aren't defined by their technical chops and I often wind up explaining myself in terms like "well I prefer timbre over tecnhnicalities anyway". The Zen Pro is remarkable in its ability to provide both bodied, natural DD timbre as well as, not just technicalities that "get the job done" but mind blowing technicalities. I had no idea a single DD in IEMs could image & stage like this-- it's so deep and vividly and precise. Vocals are un-veiled, sibilance free and naturally seductive-- and the FR is smooth from top to bottom. No fatigue, no peaks or pressure points. I've never heard a single DD this consistently good across the FR. Top all of that off with magnificent single DD coherence and it's and incredible package.
These zen pro descriptions sound like my rhapsodio Eden’s! I would love to compare them someday.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #5,868 of 88,869
Zen Pro are the real deal. On top of everything else they put forward such a massive & sure footed sound-- it's spellbinding.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #5,869 of 88,869
Tnx... Will hunt for impressions from classical music lovers tomorrow.

drftr

I listened to this:

It sounds grand like it should, with the powerful dynamic swell towards the end. You can clearly pick out the bell from the wall of sound. Mind you not as big sounding as say the Solaris, but pretty good for an IEM.

I also listened to this:

The Zen Pro straddle the line between slightly lifted and well behaved upper mids that gives them bite for strings without ever to my ears getting harsh. And the mids are even enough where all the strings (violin, viola and cello) are balanced volume wise, with violin having bite and cello having body. The bowed texture/micro dynamics is great. Separation is good enough to distinctly hear each instrument.

Finally, I listened to this:

Piano is hard to do right timbre wise. The Zen Pro does a really good job. However in the higher frequencies, the keys are a bit sharp when played dramatically (what gives the violin and electric guitar great bite). However I haven't heard piano reproduced great by an IEM - getting the timbre right across all 88 keys without multi BAs is pretty hard with a tiny DD driver, and BAs lose you that impact of key compression to my ears.

Anyway, I think these are a good choice for classical as they are pretty neutral and technical while still having good timbre and body. Just don't expect freakish soundstage or instrument separation which I don't think is possible in single DD.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #5,870 of 88,869
Choo chooo!

All aboard.

@Rockwell75 how demanding is it in terms of power. Will my Sony NW-ZX507 be enough? Maybe I should be asking @Scuba Devils ?

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #5,871 of 88,869
Choo chooo!

All aboard.

@Rockwell75 how demanding is it in terms of power. Will my Sony NW-ZX507 be enough? Maybe I should be asking @Scuba Devils ?

Let me sign off for the night with some weak points. I think the sub bass roll off is real. It's not terrible, but these may not be the best choice if sub-bass is your main thing. Also, I can see some people finding the upper mids a little aggressive especially if you have a bright source. Like @Rockwell75 , I have a warm source. Finally, the timbre is a little metallic or "hard edged". It makes it good for instruments that need bite like electric guitar or strings, but not quite as good for something with a more rounded, slower decay mellow sound like a nylon string bossa nova guitar. But I'm a timbre-head nit picking a bit there.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #5,872 of 88,869
Let me sign off for the night with some weak points. I think the sub bass roll off is real. It's not terrible, but these may not be the best choice if sub-bass is your main thing. Also, I can see some people finding the upper mids a little aggressive especially if you have a bright source. Like @Rockwell75 , I have a warm source. Finally, the timbre is a little metallic or "hard edged". It makes it good for instruments that need bite like electric guitar or strings, but not quite as good for something with a more rounded, slower decay mellow sound like a nylon string bossa nova guitar. But I'm a timbre-head nit picking a bit there.

Thank-you for your great impressions-- I have only listened so far with the M8. I will try the SR25ii later, which is a more neutral source.

Just don't expect freakish soundstage or instrument separation which I don't think is possible in single DD.

The sense of vastness perhaps but Zen Pro has that single DD coherence that gives rise to a sense of cohesiveness, unity & grandeur that (Traillii aside in my experience) hybrid models struggle to match. It doesn't have freakish resolution & detail like the Odin but I can't imagine anyone feeling anything really lacking in this regard on the Zen Pro.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #5,873 of 88,869
Choo chooo!

All aboard.

Yes no issue driving ZEN PRO with ZX507 which I used daily while out walking for the week while I had them.

Great to hear such huge praise from more people, absolutely well deserved - @DUNU-Topsound have created a real gem.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #5,874 of 88,869
Yes no issue driving ZEN PRO with ZX507 which I used daily while out walking for the week while I had them.

Great to hear such huge praise from more people, absolutely well deserved - @DUNU-Topsound have created a real gem.
Perhaps I didn't catch it earlier but have you compared Zen Pro to the IE 900 on this thread?

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #5,875 of 88,869
I had intended to compare just the ZEN PRO with Oriolus Isabellae tonight but couldn't resist adding IE900 to the mix. One thing is certain from the session, all incredibly capable IEMs and each have their own strengths, many of which cross over with at times minor differences. IE900 I feel retains the DD King crown, especially from an overall technicalities perspective. However, both Isa and ZEN PRO beat it when focusing on vocals, acoustic or jazz (the select few I tested tonight) - IE900 loses on the mids, and vocals in particular feel drier with less depth or presence in both male and female.

ZEN PRO versus Isa on vocals, jazz etc is a tough call, I'd probably edge ever so slightly towards Isa from a timbre perspective. ZEN PRO when it comes to electronic or indeed more energetic music (electronic or otherwise) most certainly takes the lead - far more energy down low and higher up, making for a much more engaging experience - I feel Isa is a bit dull or relaxed in comparison in these scenarios - it's a noticeable dip in energy when I switch.

IE900 has clear strong points and for me suits some genres better than others, likewise Isabellae - they make for a fantastic complementary pair. ZEN PRO does all genres incredibly well but in some cases, slightly behind both of the former.

More testing needed and thankfully I have the ZEN PRO tour unit till next Tuesday, allowing the full weekend to further evaluate. It feels like a very solid recommendation out of this selection based on its ability to present a range of genres incredibly well and where it might be outperformed, it's marginal to my ears at present. $400 less than the IE900, $300 more than Isa - I think it is well positioned from a price perspective, representing excellent value in challenging the IE900 and mostly matching Isa in areas where she shines, but absolutely beating her in many others.

I'm smitten anyway, yet another DD that I've fallen for and will certainly be purchasing... Next up though is Dark Sky - I have to try it.

20211124_202953.jpg

@gLer Brief comparison to IE900 here.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #5,876 of 88,869
You should give Luna a go. It's not a basshead iem for sure but the for jazz, acoustic and vocal based music it sounds absolutely fantastic, especially pairing it with the Socrates cable makes the mids more lush. But getting a good fit in Luna is paramount, some people complained about wonky treble without getting a good fit, also tips play key role with Luna.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #5,877 of 88,869
@Rockwell75 Didn't I sent over the Dunu Zen to you when I had it? Zen Pro sounds like a good upgrade over the OG Zen which I really liked.

No I never heard the original Zen. Impressions of strident upper mids turned me off. I'll send the Zen Pro over to you when I send Odin back if you'd like to hear them.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #5,878 of 88,869
You should give Luna a go. It's not a basshead iem for sure but the for jazz, acoustic and vocal based music it sounds absolutely fantastic, especially pairing it with the Socrates cable makes the mids more lush. But getting a good fit in Luna is paramount, some people complained about wonky treble without getting a good fit, also tips play key role with Luna.

Luna was always on my radar but I never followed through with it. It was twice the cost of Zen Pro if I remember correctly. Have you heard the Zen Pro? I'd love to hear how it compares to Luna. I'm listening to the Zen Pro on the SR25MKii and it's definitely got a bit more bite than through the M8.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #5,880 of 88,869
Luna was always on my radar but I never followed through with it. It was twice the cost of Zen Pro if I remember correctly. Have you heard the Zen Pro? I'd love to hear how it compares to Luna. I'm listening to the Zen Pro on the SR25MKii and it's definitely got a bit more bite than through the M8.

Yeah I found the 1A gave better results versus ZX507, but the latter had no problem driving them - 1A as per ZEN OG brought out more detail and stage. I imagine my new n6ii-Ti would be wonderful with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back