The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,736 of 91,346
Wow, I never even knew there was an Andromeda Brass. So there's aluminum versions, Steel, Titanium & Brass. I've always preferred copper patina to brass.
I think when he says they released two, he means literally only 2 individual units.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,738 of 91,346
I think when he says they released two, he means literally only 2 individual units.
Yeah, I assumed he meant literally two. I'm guessing these "King' versions will be snatched up pretty quickly, maybe as collectors' pieces more than anything else. I had my eye on the titanium as I enjoyed the Andromeda Gold when I had it.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #3,739 of 91,346
I am super interested in the Shrink Ray as well. The only thing holding me back really is that I have heard reports of sibilance with the Solaris 2020 and that is a deal-breaker for me. I loved the Solaris OG but never purchased one (or the SE/LE) because they are too big for my ears. Being in Australia makes it harder to process a return and the import fees are something to consider as well...

I have the opportunity from a European distributor to buy a Solaris Shrink Ray.

But I'm in doubt with the Sony IER-Z1R. Same price of Solaris.

For classical music easy choice: Sony. But for Rock (classic, such as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Dire Straits) and modern pop (Ed Sheeran...) which would be the right choice?

The Dac/AMP is the Hugo 2.

Many thanks guys!!

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #3,740 of 91,346
I thought it wasn't going to be an Andromeda...turns out I was wrong...and not even with the tuning & tuning chamber of the 2020...and the single most expensive IEM they've ever released. A steaming pile of meh from me.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,741 of 91,346
Yeah, I assumed he meant literally two. I'm guessing these "King' versions will be snatched up pretty quickly, maybe as collectors' pieces more than anything else. I had my eye on the titanium as I enjoyed the Andromeda Gold when I had it.
Yup, kind of makes sense that it's the final release here since I think the brass is the rarest version out there.

I thought it wasn't going to be an Andromeda...turns out I was wrong...and not even with the tuning & tuning chamber of the 2020...and the single most expensive IEM they've ever released...a steaming pile of meh from me.
Yup big meh from me too. But I can definitely see people wanting to buy it as a collectors piece, as @rantng said.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,742 of 91,346
For classical music easy choice: Sony. But for Rock (classic, such as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Dire Straits) and modern pop (Ed Sheeran...) which would be the right choice?

Solaris 100% I've owned the Z1R twice and its limp-noodle like mid-bass and lower mids make it a poor choice for those genres you list imho

Edit: Whereas the Solaris absolutely rocks. CFA house tuning excels with anything that benefits from mid-bass/lower mids-- Dire Straits, CCR, Floyd, Talking Heads etc.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,743 of 91,346
Yup, kind of makes sense that it's the final release here since I think the brass is the rarest version out there.

Yup big meh from me too. But I can definitely see people wanting to buy it as a collectors piece, as @rantng said.

I'm a life-long CFA apologist and fanboy but I have to say all that buildup and imho the two final days were pretty anti-climactic. Still toying with the idea of a Shrink-ray or an Onyx tho.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,744 of 91,346
Solaris 100% I've owned the Z1R twice and its limp-noodle like mid-bass and lower mids make it a poor choice for those genres you list imho

Thanks Rockwell! Would you pick the 2020 version or the Shrink Ray version?

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,745 of 91,346
Thanks Rockwell! Would you pick the 2020 version or the Shrink Ray version?

Easily the shrink ray because it supposedly has some extra oomph in the lower mids. I should add though that I have no real experience with the 2020, which is by far the most contentious Solaris.

Other possible IEMs to consider: Dorado 2020, MEST, 64 Duo...

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,746 of 91,346
I'm a life-long CFA apologist and fanboy but I have to say all that buildup and imho the two final days were pretty anti-climactic. Still toying with the idea of a Shrink-ray or an Onyx tho.
The onyx at least has the honor of being the only actual new release in the bunch.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,747 of 91,346
The onyx at least has the honor of being the only actual new release in the bunch.

I'm actually staring longingly at the SE that's still available...wth is wrong with me lol

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,748 of 91,346
I'm actually staring longingly at the SE that's still available...wth is wrong with me lol
Just remember there are a lot of options available and something new and more exciting is always in the cards. That's how I've been putting off getting the IE900, not buying and weighing in my options is more fun. :dt880smile:

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,750 of 91,346
I have the opportunity from a European distributor to buy a Solaris Shrink Ray.

But I'm in doubt with the Sony IER-Z1R. Same price of Solaris.

The Dac/AMP is the Hugo 2.

Many thanks guys!!

My two favourite IEMs that I have heard are the Solaris OG and the JH Audio Lola. The problem with both is that they are too big for my ears! Dire Straits and Jim Croce sound amazing on the Solaris OG. If the Shrink Ray was identical in sound to the Solaris OG I would have ordered one by now…

On another note, I would be super interested to see what other companies could do with a dynamic mid range driver like in the Lola… the midrange really is great on those IEMs and given I am not a bass head I really liked the BA lows and BA highs with the dynamic mid range driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back