The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #3,661 of 89,185
Me thinks they may have quietly taken the Turii out of production in the current configuration. It's not even on the international website anymore. I mean, nobody's going to believe they're working on a better presentation for 6 months like they said. The European dealer told me the same just last week. I've been in China for 15 months and that would take 2 weeks max!

I honestly think that they're going to see how much interest there is for the titanium (was it?) edition that's probably quite a bit lighter but more expensive. If that experiment fails then it's bye bye Turii, and if it's successful then the new Turii will possibly be similarly priced to the Cerberus and RS10 and available in titanium only.

Just my 2 cents of course.

drftr
Last time I heard from Softears they said that they're releasing a new hybrid-configured IEM. It is not quite certain when, but they hope it can be released next month or so (maybe even earlier). It's said to be an entry level, so probably sub $1000 to pair with the RSV. The tuning is going to be more on the fun side, less like the previous reference. Maybe more bass emphasis, or something complimenting Turii or RSV's tuning. I'm really excited to hear this one, as Softears has one of the best crossover/phasing technique I've heard as implemented on their RS10, Cerberus and RSV drivers

11532328.png

Encased in piano black Softears shell (source)

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,662 of 89,185
I've often heard 'diminishing returns' mentioned as you go up the food-chain - and certainly that has been my experience in this last year or so, a bit of a whirlwind tour of what you can get in return for hard-earned money and I've certainly enjoyed it, bank/wife not so much...

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is an actual reverse term for diminishing returns but the Yincrow X6 is basically the physical manifestation! The X6 sells for about $10, at times more and others less by all accounts. That's about 500x cheaper than the most expensive item in my collection! :) So is it a Bird-Slayer? >

...Of course not - it's not even an EM5-killer if I take the most expensive bud in my collection, X6 being 30x cheaper - but my-oh-my is it a very engaging, smooth bud with a pretty decent soundstage. Very impressive bass, lovely mids and I would say somewhat subdued treble. Natural, organic sound and certainly cannot imagine any fatigue kicking in with these. So far, I have only tested a variety of electronic music but passed with flying colours - on to some other genres this evening.

Cable is cheap plastic as you would expect, likewise cheap plastic buds - but again, these are about $10. You do get a selection of foam covers to include donuts and a fabric carry case. They are very comfortable, hardly feel them in my ears.

I've only had about 1 hour of play, plus I'm allowing for the fact that it's 3.5mm, an output never used on my NW-WM1A and Sony do recommend 200 hours for both balanced and single. They are pretty hungry, I've the same level of volume as I need for the IE900 and with high-gain on. But again, I am incredibly impressed - at $10, everyone should experience the bang for buck these represent!

X6.jpg

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #3,663 of 89,185
The mechanism of how DDs produce vibrating sound, the size of the emitting source, the material etc. are something that are unique to their sound profile. They're in some ways closer to how sounds are naturally recreated, especially in the lower frequency region. Personally, I think DDs are great for their texture and timbre, especially in giving that weight and density to each note
But the higher up the region you go, the sound sounds even lighter airier thinner, which makes it harder to capture for DDs. The way clarity is provided in DDs to me feels less subtle less tactile, requiring more and more finesse to gently recreate, as opposed to the natively smaller BA tweeters or ESTs dedicated for highs. Vice versa
A hybrid setup I think would be a solution alternative to DD-only setups. But I found that in most hybrids I tried, the coherency issue still persists. There seems to be a problem in the crossover part, the blending between the lower frequency with the higher. The issue of finding that balance, that point of transition, and the technique of the transitioning itself. I personally think this bridging problem if solved could make for a great monitor. One IEM that comes to mind is the Traillii with its transitioning from BAs to ESTs, in-between of which they attenuated the upper-mids/lower-treble part slightly to allow for better separation between the two driver types. Both the multi-driver coherency issue and single-driver reach and finesse issues are interesting in my opinion because of how they can make or break a tuning idea. But I think the crossover issue would be the relatively 'easier' to solve

Great points here. I agree that highs are often the achilles heel of single DD setups. IMHO an ideal approach will consist of a DD doing mids & lows and some sort of BA or EST setup doing the highs. One of the reasons I love the Dorado so is that it pulls this off relatively seamlessly with no crossovers and no issues with coherence. The EXT is another IEM that has me really excited on this front but the more days that pass have me doubting I'll ever get to hear one lol

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3,664 of 89,185
I was shopping for ear tips on Amazon and I came upon the $22 Tanchjim Tanya. I'd read good things about it so I ordered one. They came in today. For only 22 dollars these are absolute bangers. Very well tuned .A warm and relaxing tonality with a hefty bass. Vocals sound excellent too , both male and female. For a beater, budget earphone they're amazing IMO.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,665 of 89,185
IMHO an ideal approach will consist of a DD doing mids & lows and some sort of BA or EST setup doing the highs
I think that's a large part of why I have connected with the 64 duo. Not trying to convince you rush out and try it, but I do suspect it would probably be your fave in their lineup specifically because the DD is handling the mids.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #3,666 of 89,185
I think that's a large part of why I have connected with the 64 duo. Not trying to convince you rush out and try it, but I do suspect it would probably be your fave in their lineup specifically because the DD is handling the mids.
Having the Nio on my shortlist to explore what's just beside my (theoretically!) preferred optimal path, would I absolutely need to add the Duo to that list as well or is it comparable enough to the Nio to go with that one? Since there won't be many others that have both I thought I should ask. Tnx...

drftr

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,667 of 89,185
Having the Nio on my shortlist to explore what's just beside my (theoretically!) preferred optimal path, would I absolutely need to add the Duo to that list as well or is it comparable enough to the Nio to go with that one? Since there won't be many others that have both I thought I should ask. Tnx...

drftr
The nio and duo are pretty similar tonally. And I think the duo represents a much better value.

I think it comes down to whether you value having potentially slightly higher technicalities, isolation, and the ability to tune the sound (and isolation). Also if you want the blue abalone bling or not. If so, go nio. Otherwise again, I think the duo competes well and does so for quite a bit less money.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #3,668 of 89,185
The nio and duo are pretty similar tonally. And I think the duo represents a much better value.

I think it comes down to whether you value having potentially slightly higher technicalities, isolation, and the ability to tune the sound (and isolation). Also if you want the blue abalone bling or not. If so, go nio. Otherwise again, I think the duo competes well and does so for quite a bit less money.
The one thing I would want to change about the Nio is its looks! I even contacted 64 Audio to see if it were available in an understated black or dark grey instead of their jewelry kinda joke. I might as well put a flashing light bulb on top of my head when travelling and yell "Rob me! Please!"

So... Added... Tnx...

drftr

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,669 of 89,185
The one thing I would want to change about the Nio is its looks! I even contacted 64 Audio to see if it were available in an understated black or dark grey instead of their jewelry kinda joke. I might as well put a flashing light bulb on top of my head when travelling and yell "Rob me! Please!"

So... Added... Tnx...

drftr
Just reading the Duo doesn't use the Apex system though. That's a bummer as I think 64 Audio IEMs are only bearably for me when toning down their bass shelf using a N0 FIR module :frowning2:

drftr

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,670 of 89,185

If he's willing to buy used though, a secondhand Nio can be found for around the same price as a new Duo, possibly cheaper.

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #3,671 of 89,185
Just reading the Duo doesn't use the Apex system though. That's a bummer as I think 64 Audio IEMs are only bearably for me when toning down their bass shelf using a N0 FIR module :frowning2:

drftr
Well it does use Apex, just not the swappable modules. So you definitely can't tune it the same way. And it's definitely on the bassier side.

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,672 of 89,185

100% I hope I get a chance to demo one some day.

drftr

I would nudge you towards the Duo if you're focusing on 64 Audio, based on what @mashuto has said...I had a Nio on hand for a couple weeks and the mids were the deal breaker for me ultimately. They were on the thin side (thanks to Ely & Dorado I was used to DD mids at that point) and didn't have the rich timber I was craving by then...not sure if this is important to you and as with all things YMMV. Also based on my experience and what you've said you're looking for (ie., balance) I would 100% rec seeking out a used OG or SE Solaris over a Nio.

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #3,673 of 89,185
I had a Nio on hand for a couple weeks and the mids were the deal breaker for me ultimately. They were on the thin side (thanks to Ely & Dorado I was used to DD mids at that point) and didn't have the rich timber I was craving by then
From reading about experiences from others that's supposedly because of the accentuated sub-bass. For that reason they suggested exchanging the M15 APEX module for an N0 ATOM module from FIR Audio, to create a very useful step between M15 and MX. This would lower sub-bass attenuation and make mids sound slightly fuller. I thought that might be much more to my liking, tonality-wise.

Actually, thinking back about your U12t review this slight modification may actually give it the warmth and engagement you were missing yourself...

https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-4pk

drftr

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3,674 of 89,185
It's strange because Nio seems to be the most affected by swapping the APEX modules. With the MX & M15 it's like it was 2 completely different IEMs, for me anyway. I couldn't listen to it at all with the M20 module. No other IEM in 64 Audio's lineup seems to be respond this much to the swap. This is one reason why I've always liked the APEX system.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,675 of 89,185
It's strange because Nio seems to be the most affected by swapping the APEX modules. With the MX & M15 it's like it was 2 completely different IEMs, for me anyway. I couldn't listen to it at all with the M20 module. No other IEM in 64 Audio's lineup seems to be respond this much to the swap. This is one reason why I've always liked the APEX system.
So with an N0 module you'd create a bass level firmly under the M15 with the exact same bass qualities but reduced quantities, while it's not as plain as the MX module. It's like buying a new IEM yet again.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back