The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #3,541 of 89,161
And now we have 5 Solaris!

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #3,545 of 89,161
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #3,546 of 89,161
The Solaris X is an AK product and not really an "official" Solaris imho. I'm still dying to hear one though.

Incidentally there's nothing really "new" about this shrunk model-- the form factor, sound and aesthetics all come from previous iterations. I suppose its unique in that sense. I'll be waiting with bated breath for the next few releases.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,547 of 89,161
The Solaris X is an AK product and not really an "official" Solaris imho. I'm still dying to hear one though.

I incidentally there's nothing really "new" about this shrunk model-- the form factor, sound and aesthetics all come from previous iterations. I suppose its unique in that sense. I'll be waiting with bated breath for the next few releases.
+1 :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,548 of 89,161

Incidentally there's nothing really "new" about this shrunk model-- the form factor, sound and aesthetics all come from previous iterations. I suppose its unique in that sense. I'll be waiting with bated breath for the next few releases.

There is a slightly different tuning..

“Shrink Ray” uses the improved tuning of Solaris 2020, but adds a subtle twist at the cross-over to provide an even more exciting tuning. This is the best-selling Solaris from another timeline.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #3,549 of 89,161
but adds a subtle twist at the cross-over to provide an even more exciting tuning.

I didn't see that the first time I read the specs. Turns out @rantng was right. It seems like they've added some mid-bass/low mids:

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 7.25.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 7.27.31 AM.png

I almost hate to admit it but I'm actually kind of curious about this thing now. Not enough to jump on it without seeing what the other releases are though.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #3,550 of 89,161
@Tristy So I did some more comparison between the IE900 and Dark Sky today. Some of what I found:

- Dark Sky sounded more forward, with thicker bigger sized notes
- Bass sounded slightly more voluminous especially in the mid-section, but with less control and definition
- IE900's bass extends lower into the subs, and are better executed with more speed and control
- Dark Sky has the sparklier splashier treble, which contributes to some of the 'grain' I heard from my first try
- IE900 sounded smoother overall, though without the foam filter the 7kHz became a bit peaky to my ears
- IE900 has the larger soundstage, definitely taller, and the separation is better as well making it sound airier
- Vocals sounded more accurate in tone on Dark Sky, it's sweeter and fuller. The IE900 sounded more as if something's missing in the middle 3-4kHz part
- Resolution I feel was higher on the IE900, and the sound more neutral with better extension/reach both ways. Dark Sky sounded more W-shaped

That's all I could recall for now, listening to demo units. YMMV as always. Hope this helps a bit :)

taken-1635588246846.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,551 of 89,161
@Tristy So I did some more comparison between the IE900 and Dark Sky today. Some of what I found:

- Bass sounded slightly more voluminous especially in the mid-section, but with less control and definition
- IE900's bass extends lower into the subs, and are better executed with more speed and control
- Dark Sky has the sparklier splashier treble, which contributes to some of the 'grain' I heard from my first try
- IE900 sounded smoother overall, though without the foam filter the 7kHz became a bit peaky to my ears
- IE900 has the larger soundstage, definitely taller, and the separation is better as well making it sound airier
- Vocals sounded more accurate in tone on Dark Sky, it's sweeter and fuller. The IE900 sounded more as if something's missing in the middle 3-4kHz part
- Resolution I feel was higher on the IE900, and the sound flatter more neutral. Dark Sky sounded more W-shaped

That's all I could recall for now, listening to demo units. YMMV as always. Hope this helps a bit :)

taken-1635588246846.jpg
Wow, yeah thanks for the follow up! Very detailed and helps a lot. I guess the control of the IE900's DD over the DS's shouldn't come as any surprise given Sen's R&D clout but it's always nice to compare how these DD's stack up.

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,552 of 89,161

- Resolution I feel was higher on the IE900, and the sound more neutral with better extension/reach both ways. Dark Sky sounded more W-shaped

taken-1635588246846.jpg

That's great to read, nothing there that makes me feel the need to buy Dark Sky now!

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,553 of 89,161
Wow, yeah thanks for the follow up! Very detailed and helps a lot. I guess the control of the IE900's DD over the DS's shouldn't come as any surprise given Sen's R&D clout but it's always nice to compare how these DD's stack up.
The recent rise in popularity of single DD's has really been fascinating to watch. The IE900 to me captures the Sennheiser monitor's house sound and tuning idea really well. You're right, it's nice finding out about many of these ideas/implementations and hear how they stack up to another

In other news, the pre-order for Acoustune HS2000MX have ended.. less than a day. I still hope there'll be a demo coming to the store. Really curious to hear how these sound. Uses beryllium thin film processing dome driver, and duralumin material as its chamber

200000061329_62e0b4f5d7b94be78852ef02f12fd1f0.jpg

rendering2.jpg

In the name of sustainability I think modularizing the sound making part makes more sense. Keep the non-moving frame part as is, and that way you can minimize material cost/waste in production

4571512250017.PT01.jpg

Not the opposite like Patrick's proposal of moving the entire city :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back