The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,396 of 88,522
That sounds very intriguing indeed...I'm a little wary of Softears though... @SBranson had one of their IEMs (I forget which one but I think it was sub $1K) that was well regarded and I was manifestly unimpressed by it...in particular because it had such a telescopically small stage that I felt like this guy trying to find its image in my mind when listening to it.

1f26ee20919d2cdc1bf4beedf1a5d82a.jpg

I´m falling in love with SR10+ M8, they made me forget Vx.

The warmer M8 suits perfect with the awesome detail and transparency on sr10.

1625414772218.png

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,397 of 88,522
You're not the only one who has said that. If I remember correctly @RTodd keeps an Elysium alongside his bird primarily for that reason.
Indeed.

Erlky continues to hang around with the bird largely due to its vocal presentation.

The erlky remains a special and unique iem that plays at the absolute highest level (though I now feel confident in saying that the bird surpasses the erlky in overall technicalities.)

I still have trouble most of the time finding anything I don’t like about these two iems, and to this day they remain the only iems I’ve heard that I would say that about.

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,398 of 88,522
@blotmouse how are you liking the n6ii TI...M8 comparisons? :)
Still burning the Ti in. Should be the last 12 hrs. 1st impressions for me are paramount and it needs it to have its feathers out to even hope to compete with M8, or even get a place at the table for a while. Although I have heard it with Bravado mk2 while it runs through my library, it would be unfair to comment on the short time I listened. Mainly because I want to punch that IEM in the face every time I hear it.

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,399 of 88,522
GS Audio SE11
1DD + 6BA + 4EST(second gen.) IEM incoming.

Haven’t heard of this one, but made a blind purchase based on a tidbit of information that they are an OEM supplier for some of the high end Chi-fi IEM companies including fearless.
Given where you live that makes total sense-- I live at the end of a 100KM highway, which is lovely to drive with some music in my ears. I'd never listen to my IEMs when driving in an area with even moderate traffic though.
Gold river sounds like a lovely place to visit.

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,400 of 88,522
GS Audio SE11

Haven’t heard of this one, but made a blind purchase based on a tidbit of information that they are an OEM supplier for some of the high end Chi-fi IEM companies including fearless..
Pricy blind buy! Look forward to hearing your impressions especially versus the Volt.

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,401 of 88,522
No I don't think so. It's an IEM I think many overlooked due to a brigad- I mean string of almost unprecedentedly negative reviews from influential quarters early on. While it's certainly not for everyone it's one of the most uniquely engaging IEMs with probably the most satisfying mid-bass response I've ever heard. I really hope CFA keeps experimenting with their ceramic shells as it's a source of a good deal of the Dorado's magic. The Shanling M8 really helps as well.
The Thummim was brutalized or MEH also by some of the YouTubers, almost makes me want to pick up a Dorado in protest. Using my ears not YouTubers’ questionable statements.

Ceramic is a cool material for a shell.

Going to be trying the Balmung next week, expecting a U12T type sound, to me anyway, will be comparing with that and the Mason FS.

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,402 of 88,522
Indeed.

Erlky continues to hang around with the bird largely due to its vocal presentation.

The erlky remains a special and unique iem that plays at the absolute highest level (though I now feel confident in saying that the bird surpasses the erlky in overall technicalities.)

I still have trouble most of the time finding anything I don’t like about these two iems, and to this day they remain the only iems I’ve heard that I would say that about.

Cheers man nice to see you here :)

Still burning the Ti in. Should be the last 12 hrs. 1st impressions for me are paramount and it needs it to have its feathers out to even hope to compete with M8, or even get a place at the table for a while. Although I have heard it with Bravado mk2 while it runs through my library, it would be unfair to comment on the short time I listened. Mainly because I want to punch that IEM in the face every time I hear it.

Cool man-- I look forward to reading more when you're able to share :)

GS Audio SE11

That sounds very interesting indeed...looking forward to your impressions.

Pricy blind buy! Look forward to hearing your impressions especially versus the Volt.

+1

The Thummim was brutalized or MEH also by some of the YouTubers, almost makes me want to pick up a Dorado in protest. Using my ears not YouTubers’ questionable statements.

I hope you do just so I can hear your thoughts on it. (Really nice to see you here as well, by the way.)

Ceramic is a cool material for a shell.

Indeed-- not only does it look & feel cool, is scratch free and pretty much indestructible but it also has some advantageous acoustic properties. Because of its hardness the ceramic prevents any sort vibrational interference-- everything just sort of stays in its own lane. To my ears the bass on the Dorado 2020 has a sure footedness, solidity and overall muscularity that is so far in my experience pretty unique-- and I attribute it at least in part to the acoustic properties of the ceramic.

Going to be trying the Balmung next week, expecting a U12T type sound, to me anyway, will be comparing with that and the Mason FS.

Nice can't wait to hear your thoughts that shell us unique and very beautiful.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,403 of 88,522
This thought popped into my head this morning and I enjoyed it enough I brought it into being...lol

0D0438EF-BFEA-44F5-8088-A4E2584E56A2.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #1,404 of 88,522

Attachments

• 2F7CDDC1-4097-4A47-8EDB-3033FA6D88D0.jpeg
    2F7CDDC1-4097-4A47-8EDB-3033FA6D88D0.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #1,405 of 88,522
Roughly how I see it:

1) You can do better than that Fi ----> C < $30
2) Budget fi --------------------> $30 ≤ C ≤ $150
3) Low Fi ----------------------> $150 < C ≤ $300
4) Mid Fi ----------------------> $300 < C ≤ $1K.
5) Hi Fi --------------------------> $1K ≤ C < $3K
6) Summit Fi -------------------> $3K ≤ C < $5K
7) What-the-Fi -------------------------> C ≥ $5K

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cam...ms-now-shipping-headamp.958522/#post-16440110

Holocene triple BA - https://www.headamp.com/products/campfire-holocene
Mammoth hybrid - https://www.headamp.com/products/campfire-mammoth

Totally did not see this coming, especially so soon after Honeydew & Satsuma. Definitely interested in the Mammoth, curious about the use of the bio-cellulose DD instead of their own ADLC driver.

Yeah I didn't see it coming either. Fortunately of all 4 new releases Honeydew is still the most appealing to me given my current fascination with DD mids, and that's the one I will have in my hands this time tomorrow :D

This latest slew of releases fill the Low Fi and Mid Fi bracket as per the little chart above.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #1,406 of 88,522
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,407 of 88,522
Roughly how I see it:

1) You can do better than that Fi ----> C < $30
2) Budget fi --------------------> $30 ≤ C ≤ $150
3) Low Fi ----------------------> $150 < C ≤ $300
4) Mid Fi ----------------------> $300 < C ≤ $1K.
5) Hi Fi --------------------------> $1K ≤ C < $3K
6) Summit Fi -------------------> $3K ≤ C < $5K
7) What-the-Fi -------------------------> C ≥ $5K

Yeah I didn't see it coming either. Fortunately of all 4 new releases Honeydew is still the most appealing to me given my current fascination with DD mids, and that's the one I will have in my hands this time tomorrow :D

This latest slew of releases fill the Low Fi and Mid Fi bracket as per the little chart above.

1> One good TWS is better than the whole lot ----> 0-300
2> Being wired is now justified by markedly improved sound quality ----> 300-1k
3> I expect a Flagship grade offering ----> 1k+
4> This thing had better come with alien technology and exotic metals ----> 2k+ and onwards

Interestingly I think a similar price range exist for aftermarket wires:

$0-300 > Could be worse than stock
$300-500 > Starting to get better in both sound and build quality. Sturdy plugs and good wire coating.
$500-1000 > This cable should allow me to hear that little triangle ting-a-ling behind the vocals and bongo drums.
$1000-5000 > I expect to hear things which I should not be hearing. I can hear the singer taking a breath before each verse.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,410 of 88,522
Sony WF1000XM3. Fit may vary though. My ear canals are strong enough to hold the XM3 with foam tips. Not sure everyone can.

Would be interested to hear these at some point then. There are some really strong contenders for tuning & technicalities in the budget price range these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back