The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 1, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #106 of 88,495
May 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #109 of 88,495
Sketch/draft of an updated top 10-- Andromeda makes a leap and VE8 jumps to the top 5.

1) Elysium
2a) Dorado 2020
2b) Andromeda 2020
3) IER Z1R
4) Solaris SE
5) VE8/Solaris OG
6) Andromeda MW10
7) OG MEST
8) LX
9) VX
10) a) MEST Mkii
10) b) Nio

May 1, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #110 of 88,495
In my opinion the Elysium is a further evolution of a very similar general (mid-range centered) tuning philosophy that the VE8 offers. As such I would say the Elysium represents an improvement/refinement of the VE8 perhaps as much as 75% of the time-- 50% of this is due to it having access to the strengths provided by the different driver types it has over VE8 and the other 25% from VE's peerless tuning prowess applied to those different driver types. That said it's definitely not a sweep across the board for Ely as the VE8 still has some strong suits (male voclas and single driver coherence to name two) that may make it perhaps a better choice for some depending on their tastes, listening preferences or what particular niche in their collection they're looking to fill. For me they are too similar to keep both around. If I listened to enough male vocals (as @Mehran does) it would perhaps justify it...but that area is not a huge priority for me. As an all BA set the Andromeda 2020 is still my go to because, having my lush natural midrange box checked by the Elysium, the VE8 has a harder time making a case as it lacks the playful charm, top end air & sparkle, and holographic staging of the Andromeda. If I didn't already have the Elysium in my collection the VE8 would be s shoe in, however. As with everything though, YMMV.

I'll have a good look with some different lighting and take some closeup pictures later today.

Thanks.. This speaks to my faint memory of the comparison of the two and helps assuage my “fear of missing out”.. ha

Might be worth waiting for impressions and reviews of the VE7 to come out! Although it's meant to be a more neutral sound (and it sounds like thats not what you're looking for) VE are full of surprises...

I was so much looking forward to their next release but the “neutral” descriptor doesn’t really do it for me.. but I’m also just so curious.. I hope the EVE21 comes out soon so I can get to ignoring the VE7 in terms of want...

May 1, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #111 of 88,495
Thanks.. This speaks to my faint memory of the comparison of the two and helps assuage my “fear of missing out”.. ha

When you and @Daniel are done with my Dorado I will send you both down the Andromeda 2020. I think you'll quite like it through the M8.

May 1, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #112 of 88,495
In my opinion the Elysium is a further evolution of a very similar general (mid-range centered) tuning philosophy that the VE8 offers. As such I would say the Elysium represents an improvement/refinement of the VE8 perhaps as much as 75% of the time-- 50% of this is due to it having access to the strengths provided by the different driver types it has over VE8 and the other 25% from VE's peerless tuning prowess applied to those different driver types. That said it's definitely not a sweep across the board for Ely as the VE8 still has some strong suits (male voclas and single driver coherence to name two) that may make it perhaps a better choice for some depending on their tastes, listening preferences or what particular niche in their collection they're looking to fill. For me they are too similar to keep both around. If I listened to enough male vocals (as @Mehran does) it would perhaps justify it...but that area is not a huge priority for me. As an all BA set the Andromeda 2020 is still my go to because, having my lush natural midrange box checked by the Elysium, the VE8 has a harder time making a case as it lacks the playful charm, top end air & sparkle, and holographic staging of the Andromeda. If I didn't already have the Elysium in my collection the VE8 would be s shoe in, however. As with everything though, YMMV.

I'll have a good look with some different lighting and take some closeup pictures later today.
Just to clarify, when you say Ely doesn't do male vocals as well as VE8, is it because of less bodied , less warm , less texture vocals or something else?

May 1, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #113 of 88,495
Just to clarify, when you say Ely doesn't do male vocals as well as VE8, is it because of less bodied , less warm , less texture vocals or something else?

Less bodied, less seductive. Unfortunately I don't have my Elysium on hand to do a direct compare.

May 1, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #114 of 88,495

So far I find it hard to criticize the Elysium (it's an overall superb signature) . I can definitely state that Male vocals aren't as hollow or scooped as one would think, but I'll test it with my favorite singers (Gregory Porter and Ron Sexsmith) this weekend and see how they perform.

Going back to the VE8, I've never heard Norah Jones' voice sound so rich compared to other iems.

May 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #115 of 88,495
So far I find it hard to criticize the Elysium (it's an overall superb signature) . I can definitely state that Male vocals aren't as hollow or scooped as one would think, but I'll test it with my favorite singers (Gregory Porter and Ron Sexsmith) this weekend and see how they perform.

Going back to the VE8, I've never heard Norah Jones' voice sound so rich compared to other iems.

It's an absolute toss up for me right now after reading so many impressions on both. Have changed my mind a few times. The good thing is once I commit I never look back, and I am sure I'll be happy with either of them. Any input can be helpful though. 😊

May 1, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #119 of 88,495
How does that copper faceplate look on the VE8 @Rockwell75 ? I was so torn between this one and the signature but I'd imagine this one has an understated look that looks awesome when caught in the right light.

It's an appealing, classy yet understated design...here is an unfiltered pic in natural light. As you can see the hue changes a bit with the angle.

F757425F-613C-4EA2-A7F9-17227044F552.JPEG

May 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #120 of 88,495
It's an appealing, classy yet understated design...here is an unfiltered pic in natural light. As you can see the hue changes a bit with the angle.

F757425F-613C-4EA2-A7F9-17227044F552.JPEG
The motif looks like persian carpets.
I like that it's understated, but the signature design looks very nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back