The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,171 of 88,419
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,172 of 88,419
Yes, we are at the point where is costs more than a few ounces of gold to purchase an IEM.
Looks like some of them might start containing that amount of precisous gem or metal soon anyway

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,173 of 88,419
Looks like some of them might start containing that amount of precisous gem or metal soon anyway

It will help with soundstage expansion.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,174 of 88,419
You want gems on your iems? Noble’s extremely limited edition solid 18k gold shell, 1.8 karats of inlayed flawless diamonds.

E9C60B39-6DCB-4AEF-83D2-0D50E8087AF2.jpeg

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,175 of 88,419
You want gems on your iems? Noble’s extremely limited edition solid 18k gold shell, 1.8 karats of inlayed flawless diamonds.

This made me think of that Dragon IEM at QDC that came about due to someone's error or misunderstood communication.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,176 of 88,419

E9C60B39-6DCB-4AEF-83D2-0D50E8087AF2.jpeg
Yeah, you have to be a Sultan to own that Sultan.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,177 of 88,419
Yeah, you have to be a Sultan to own that Sultan.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against anyone wanting these. I’m thrilled that the jewellers’ craft is still valued. In an age of mass production and Cnc machines any handcraft is welcome.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,178 of 88,419
OK, so here's more:

When was the last time (we can factor out covid lockdowns for the purposes of this qeustion) you attended a live acoustic concert- that is, no mics, no speakers no amplification - just lip and limb power?

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

What are your listening goals? (e.g., recreate a live event, make it sound the way i want it to , background sounds to block out other ambient noise - something to improve my mood, etc...)

I've known lots of musicians who just want to hear the notes - they don't think recordings will ever sound 'lie', i.e, they would never pass the Turing Test, metaphorically speaking. Audiophiles who are NOT musicians are chasing the possibility that the Turing Test can be passed, and many have a great story about that one time they got really close.....

Trophy collectors - it must sound good - it cost $$$$$$$$$$$$! vs. This cheap junk sounds just as good-- it sdys so right on this giant chip on my shoulder. (sorry getting grumpy and cross-eyed editing file tags that I've let get too out of hand....
I've easily attended 100+ live concerts/performances and my favorites have always been the acoustic ones. Just the performer & their guitar/piano/etc. Stripped down & unplugged. There's an intimacy/vulnerability between the artist & audience that makes the performance more pure.

I don't know that I have listening goals, just to enjoy the music. I don't think it's truly possible to recreate the experience of a live concert/performance. Because there is so much more beyond just the aural experience. I realize there is no substitute to actually being there. There have been times when I've listened to a live recording and almost felt like I was there, but I look at that as more of a bonus than an actual goal.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,180 of 88,419
I've easily attended 100+ live concerts/performances and my favorites have always been the acoustic ones. Just the performer & their guitar/piano/etc. Stripped down & unplugged. There's an intimacy/vulnerability between the artist & audience that makes the performance more pure.

This comment made me think of one of my favorite songs:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,182 of 88,419
I'm pretty old school in that I don't (and have no plans to) stream, I've got no real interest in TWS at this point and I love chasing after the best masters of my favorite albums. Here is a great list that contains many greats, oddities and rareities.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/50-albums-audiophiles
I'm curious, how do you go about discovery of new music? My entire investment in head-fi has been in service to discovering great new music, and Tidal has been fantastic for this. I read lots of music reviews as well, and check out metacritic 2-3 times a week, but having the streaming service's algorithms find stuff for me automagically accelerates this process.

That WhatHifi list is awesome, I might discover one or two things from it. :ksc75smile:

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #1,183 of 88,419
I'm curious, how do you go about discovery of new music? My entire investment in head-fi has been in service to discovering great new music, and Tidal has been fantastic for this. I read lots of music reviews as well, and check out metacritic 2-3 times a week, but having the streaming service's algorithms find stuff for me automagically accelerates this process.

That WhatHifi list is awesome, I might discover one or two things from it. :ksc75smile:

I love Spotify specifically for discovering new songs. Their algo’s really good at honing in your preferences.

Anyway, another band to introduce to you all. Ever listened to psychedelic jazz? c:

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,184 of 88,419
LAND keeps surprising me. It feels that the bass has grown even more, even though I am using the stock silver cable. I will soon try it with the OS849 cable, it's on its way to me. There is some truly thunderous bass LAND can put out, and still the airy sound signature exists as it is. Incredible, to say the least. From 120 setting I went back to 020.
Very briefly I tried the 023 setting, but after awhile the treble became slightly piercing, so I turned it down. The stock 020 seems the best yet. No need to turn on 1 any more.
The sound signature is U, and mids are very noticeably present, albeit behind the bass. Doesn't get lost, isn't at my face, staying at a distance which strikes a perfect balance between presence and sense of space. The stage is wide, deep, very well rounded and 3 dimensional. With each song it keeps surprising me.
Although, it isn't without caveats. Depending upon sources, the notes may vary a bit. With sparrow the upper mids notes can be slightly sharp. But I am not complaining.

20210628_152044.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,185 of 88,419
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against anyone wanting these. I’m thrilled that the jewellers’ craft is still valued. In an age of mass production and Cnc machines any handcraft is welcome.

Fair point but I wonder if anyone in this hobby ever keeps their IEMs long enough to warrant such an investment.

LAND keeps surprising me. It feels that the bass has grown even more, even though I am using the stock silver cable. I will soon try it with the OS849 cable, it's on its way to me. There is some truly thunderous bass LAND can put out, and still the airy sound signature exists as it is. Incredible, to say the least. From 120 setting I went back to 020.
Very briefly I tried the 023 setting, but after awhile the treble became slightly piercing, so I turned it down. The stock 020 seems the best yet. No need to turn on 1 any more.
The sound signature is U, and mids are very noticeably present, albeit behind the bass. Doesn't get lost, isn't at my face, staying at a distance which strikes a perfect balance between presence and sense of space. The stage is wide, deep, very well rounded and 3 dimensional. With each song it keeps surprising me.
Although, it isn't without caveats. Depending upon sources, the notes may vary a bit. With sparrow the upper mids notes can be slightly sharp. But I am not complaining.

What's the driver config on that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back