The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #10,186 of 89,870
As someone who loves the product I agree it has way too many teething issues. Thankfully the early adopters stood on the bigger landmines for the rest of us to follow, and I haven't had any of the other issues in mine, like the too tight plugs. Definitely not as smooth going in or out as my DAPs, but not an issue if I'm careful with them and disconnect gently. That said, you shouldn't have to be so gentle with cables in a device designed to be used on the go. Hopefully iFi learns from this and we see notable improvements in future products.

I‘ll keep Gryphon in consideration still and I’ll take a look at the Chord Mojo 2, but of those only 1 will survive (or maybe neither) which will then go against whatever the top DAP I have under consideration is. Likely the M9.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #10,187 of 89,870
I would highly recommend checking out M9 if you're going to be spending that sort of money anyway for an EXT source. That pair up is seriously magic.

Yeah the M8 is already pretty damn good with it and I've yet to hear any direct one-one comparisons between M9 and M8 that convince me there's a sufficiently monumental difference in sound quality and character to justify the difference in price and having both. I know the M9 has newer Android, faster CPU etc. but I don't really care about any of that. If I'm going to spend ~$2K on a more robust source for EXT I think I'd like a more substantially different flavor than what the M9 would offer. That could all change though pending more impressions etc. The M9 looks damn good though. If I saw one on the used market for a good price I'd certainly give it heavy consideration.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #10,188 of 89,870
_DSC3033.jpg

Another unsolicited earbud post from me I'm afraid...

I received my second bud from Earbud CustomArt today. This one is from a previous model line 'Garuda', taking inspiration in its design from its namesake, the mythological bird-like garuda of South East Asian cultures.

It has a midforward signature that reveals tonnes of detail in vocals/guitar/strings. It has a noticeable midbass emphasis that can kick when it needs to and gives body to percussion/cello/viol. Very resolving from top to bottom, excellent timbre and a lovely spacious stage. Subbass is rolled off (not uncommon in earbuds), but this isn't egregious and rarely becomes an issue with my library. The M8 also helps lift the bass as it always does with my IEMs.

Honestly, nothing tops the timbre, tonality and staging of a good quality earbud. This one is a keeper and I'll probably start letting some of my others go.
I love earbuds, even though I usually have a lot of trouble with their fit. My single most used piece of gear is a pair of Astrotec Lyra Collection (32 Ohms) earbuds. I was actually talking to Astrotec a few weeks ago when I realised I did that review almost 4 years ago and they are still going strong with daily use.

I always wanted to include more earbud reviews because I was really curious to see how good the form factor could get, but it seemed impossible to do from Europe. Earbuds are a lot more popular in Asia, I believe. I have also thought about buying one of the Final Piano Fortes for years, but don't dare because I have no idea if the fit will work for me or not. Still, I would revive my Masters of Classical Music series in a heartbeat just for those, as they seem to be the ultimate for classical music.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #10,190 of 89,870
Oh man.

I was starting to panic a bit.

I just received my Timeless from 7Hz and plugged them in and they were borked. Remember people talking about burn in. Plugged them in around noon and they have been playing since.

They finally are starting to sound good.

I read on the thread that the recommended burn-in time is 150+ hours. I was never a person to believe in burn-in.

Listening to Blue by Joni Mitchell on Spotify. Stunning. Using my Sony as a source for my Chord Mojo.

Starting to get a feeling that I will be asking my local dealer to put my name down on a Chord Mojo 2. After my experience with the Poly I vowed to never buy a Chord product again. Well… that Rob Watts is a genius and I love how he delivers music from the bits and bites.

The Chord Mojo with the 7Hz Timeless is just magic.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #10,191 of 89,870
Yes that's basically what's kept me away from the n6ii TI so far. I sold my n6ii over a year ago and it was a little clunky then.
You didn’t mention it was clunky when I bought it ! Ha

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #10,192 of 89,870
Oh man.

I was starting to panic a bit.

I just received my Timeless from 7Hz and plugged them in and they were borked. Remember people talking about burn in. Plugged them in around noon and they have been playing since.

They finally are starting to sound good.

I read on the thread that the recommended burn-in time is 150+ hours. I was never a person to believe in burn-in.

Listening to Blue by Joni Mitchell on Spotify. Stunning. Using my Sony as a source for my Chord Mojo.

Starting to get a feeling that I will be asking my local dealer to put my name down on a Chord Mojo 2. After my experience with the Poly I vowed to never buy a Chord product again. Well… that Rob Watts is a genius and I love how he delivers music from the bits and bites.

The Chord Mojo with the 7Hz Timeless is just magic.
Well rob only designs the dacs, not the streamers. All their streamers have terrible software…

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #10,193 of 89,870
I don’t have a local Chord dealer… either I am mistaken or someone dropped someone. Not sure who did the dropping…

Bummer. Closest retailer is Vancouver, Canada.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #10,194 of 89,870
2) I've wanted to get something more tubey for a while now

I only wanted to provide my perspective but thanks for the rebuttal. I've also had good experiences with Cayin. As others have said the M8 does not have true LO. This may have jaded my experience as I rarely used it with anything else. Some users have found true LO to be essential while others seem happy with the M8+C9 combination.

I could hear only very subtle differences between Korg Nutube and the SS option with M8+C9. Whether that was because of 'double amping' or simply because the Nutubes aren't actual tubes and I was expecting something similar, I don't know.

I love earbuds, even though I usually have a lot of trouble with their fit. My single most used piece of gear is a pair of Astrotec Lyra Collection (32 Ohms) earbuds. I was actually talking to Astrotec a few weeks ago when I realised I did that review almost 4 years ago and they are still going strong with daily use.

I always wanted to include more earbud reviews because I was really curious to see how good the form factor could get, but it seemed impossible to do from Europe. Earbuds are a lot more popular in Asia, I believe. I have also thought about buying one of the Final Piano Fortes for years, but don't dare because I have no idea if the fit will work for me or not. Still, I would revive my Masters of Classical Music series in a heartbeat just for those, as they seem to be the ultimate for classical music.

Fit issues are a barrier to earbuds for so many and thats a real shame. Good to hear you have a daily companion though!

You're right it's a very Asian centric market but I've personally not had many issues acquiring them. The presentation of sound and the acoustic effect is perfect for instruments and the stage made for large-group performances.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #10,195 of 89,870
I have small ear canals and wearing the EXT was borderline torture.

That sort of bulb that @vladzakhar is talking about that's on the part right before where the tip gets inserted was what was causing me discomfort.
Yeh unfortunately im with you. Im usually not fussy with fit and that bulb formed a strong seal without a tip. But after couple of days it was painful to put them back in.
I will have a chance to try it again this friday.
Yeah I understand all that There are a few factors though:

1) I want to get something with more juice to get the most out of EXT, which means a more stationary source
3) C9 can be had for a pretty reasonable price used
4) Cayin has never let me down
5) I've heard lots of great reports of C9's performance with EXT and (previously) Elysium
6) I can always sell it.
7) I'm a little burnt out from trying new IEMs for a while...and nothing out there I haven't heard interests me much at all right now...and I still want to experience this hobby in some manner.
8) Demoing is probably not an option

Add all of that up and for me the C9 seems like an ok move.
Wow. You give it a proper thought. If i wanted C9 i would have placed an order before point 2).
Yeah the M8 is already pretty damn good with it and I've yet to hear any direct one-one comparisons between M9 and M8 that convince me there's a sufficiently monumental difference in sound quality and character
Well i think general consensus was that m8 was somewhere between dx300 and R8.
And im hearing that M9 is ahead of sp2k now so i think its a decent leap.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #10,196 of 89,870

This release makes me very happy.

I’m unsure of the records fidelity, however this has to be my favourite band.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #10,197 of 89,870
Yeah the M8 is already pretty damn good with it and I've yet to hear any direct one-one comparisons between M9 and M8 that convince me there's a sufficiently monumental difference in sound quality and character to justify the difference in price and having both. I know the M9 has newer Android, faster CPU etc. but I don't really care about any of that. If I'm going to spend ~$2K on a more robust source for EXT I think I'd like a more substantially different flavor than what the M9 would offer. That could all change though pending more impressions etc. The M9 looks damn good though. If I saw one on the used market for a good price I'd certainly give it heavy consideration.
Yup, it would be good to read some proper M8 vs M9 comparisons. I personally think M9 is a decent step up in SQ but I can only base that off memory. Hopefully @Kiats can help us out once his M9 settles in :wink:

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #10,198 of 89,870
Yeah I understand all that There are a few factors though:

1) I want to get something with more juice to get the most out of EXT, which means a more stationary source
3) C9 can be had for a pretty reasonable price used
4) Cayin has never let me down
5) I've heard lots of great reports of C9's performance with EXT and (previously) Elysium
6) I can always sell it.
7) I'm a little burnt out from trying new IEMs for a while...and nothing out there I haven't heard interests me much at all right now...and I still want to experience this hobby in some manner.
8) Demoing is probably not an option

Add all of that up and for me the C9 seems like an ok move.
If thinking on Stationary, give a try with R2R Denafrips Ares 2 Dac and another R2R amp.
This will give you another vision

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #10,199 of 89,870
Yeah the Z1R, it just won’t get the usage to justify keeping it so I’d rather someone else got the use out of it. @Scuba Devils let me know if you’re interested over PM and maybe we can arrange something.

I am certainly curious but sights set on trying EXT next - trip almost booked to Cologne to do so! Doubling now as a family spring break as never been before.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #10,200 of 89,870
I don't believe the M8 has a "clean LO" as it's a pseudo-LO instead. Something like the iBasso DX312 would be significantly better to my understanding as it's got a dedicated LO.

You'd probably be better off asking in the C9 or M8 thread though.
Yes alla shanling hasn't dedicated LO, also M9 hasn't and Shanling confirmed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back