The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #10,096 of 88,381
Yes T01 on the radar!

I think EXT my destiny too, everything I read suggests it will make the perfect partner to Traillii. I've been in touch with VE and plan a trip over early March... my wife has already picked a hotel!

I think you'll love it-- EXT is pure unalloyed perfection if you love DD bass and a present, natural midrange. Funny but for me the Zen Pro, with its transparent, balanced and technical sound, actually keeps me more than sufficiently satisfied on that front that IEMs like Phonix and Traillii are much less tempting for me. EXT though...man...I fall more in love every time I hear it. Fit is a total non-issue for me at this point, even for extended sessions.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #10,097 of 88,381
https://www.moondroplab.com/variations

Has anyone heard these Moondrop Variations ?

Just saw them up at my local (read: Canadian) retailer (https://ttaudio.ca/products/moondrop-variants)

I've heard of the Variations and would welcome an audition but honestly at this point I've heard enough of Moondrop's IEMs to know that their utilitarian tuning style just doesn't appeal to me. Technically and tonally they're solid but for me utterly bereft of emotion. YMMV.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #10,098 of 88,381
I think you'll love it-- EXT is pure unalloyed perfection if you love DD bass and a present, natural midrange. Funny but for me the Zen Pro, with its transparent, balanced and technical sound actually keeps me more than sufficiently satisfied on that front that IEMs like Phonix and Traillii are much less tempting for me. EXT though...man...I fall more in love every time I hear it. Fit is a total non-issue for me at this point, even for extended sessions.
You probably mentioned this already, but what tips did you end up settling on for the EXT? No excessive pressure on the ear canal from the wide diameter nozzle?

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #10,099 of 88,381
I think you'll love it-- EXT is pure unalloyed perfection if you love DD bass and a present, natural midrange. Funny but for me the Zen Pro, with its transparent, balanced and technical sound actually keeps me more than sufficiently satisfied on that front that IEMs like Phonix and Traillii are much less tempting for me. EXT though...man...I fall more in love every time I hear it. Fit is a total non-issue for me at this point, even for extended sessions.

Yeah I can't wait to hear them and I do feel they will be right up my street in a TOTL complementary way to Traillii. Curious to hear Phonix too but I get the impression that would serve a similar portion of my library to the bird. I anticipate EXT to perfectly address my upbeat/faster electronic music preferences.

What if anything would EXT kill off in your collection?

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #10,100 of 88,381
What if anything would EXT kill off in your collection?

In terms of similarities to my ears EXT is basically a summit-fi Dorado 2020 with a hefty dose of its own secret sauce and all of the mid-range tuning peculiarities worked out. Dorado is going nowhere though as it works ideally on any source and is pretty much the perfect "out and about in a noisy environment" IEM for me. EXT will be purely an "at home" IEM that I'll eventually connect to something like a Cayin C9. I've sold off some of the dead weight in my collection lately-- enough to mostly fund the EXT-- so I won't have to sell anything you see in my sig. Zen Pro for the office, Dorado for on the road and out and about, Isa for relaxing in bed and EXT for all other "at home" use...and I think I'm pretty well sorted for a while.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #10,101 of 88,381
The anticipation of EXT vs Z1R showdown grows by the day. It's not only going to make for great listening, but I guaranteed it'll make for great reading. Hope you boys (and lady) are ready...it's going to be a no-holds-barred bloodfest! 😈

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #10,102 of 88,381
Afternoon coffee break - Gryphon via LDAC to my NW-WM1A... Nice to use the 1A with its wonderful UI and excellent battery as the source.

20220118_143722.jpg
I has an incredible versatility, i can't rember a better choice as mobile dac/amp than Gryphon right now

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #10,103 of 88,381
The anticipation of EXT vs Z1R showdown grows by the day. It's not only going to make for great listening, but I guaranteed it'll make for great reading. Hope you boys (and lady) are ready...it's going to be a no-holds-barred bloodfest! 😈
You can add Madoo Typ711 into this list.:beyersmile:

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #10,104 of 88,381
I has an incredible versatility, i can't rember a better choice as mobile dac/amp than Gryphon right now
I use it in a similar way with the RS6:
  • RS6 as source via LDAC
  • RS6 as source via USB-C
  • RS6 as source via 4.4 line in (R2R DAC)
  • RS6 on its own when I'm mobile and don't feel like stacking
Then there's GO Blu when I'm out and about or travelling, which is like a mini Gryphon.

And I can substitute my phone for the RS6 when I'm particularly lazy.

Great music sources and matchups anywhere and everywhere with very little effort at reasonable cost.

Let's see what new stuff comes out this year to possibly shake it up and bump up the quality even more without bumping up the number of devices or driving up the price exponentially. There's nothing out there currently that I can think would replace anything I already have.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #10,105 of 88,381
You can add Madoo Typ711 into this list.:beyersmile:

What is that? It looks like something my cat named while walking across my keyboard.

Edit: It's here and oh snap it's another planar.

You probably mentioned this already, but what tips did you end up settling on for the EXT? No excessive pressure on the ear canal from the wide diameter nozzle?

Spiral Dots++...it's a match made in heaven.

While it's by no means a clean sweep for EXT across the board in terms of mid-bass and the bottom 2/3 of the midrange on EXT eats Z1R alive imho...at least relative to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #10,106 of 88,381
While it's by no means a clean sweep for EXT across the board in terms of mid-bass and the bottom 2/3 of the midrange on EXT eats Z1R alive imho...at least relative to my ears.
Gauntlet thrown Sir! Remember it's not a straight fight - EXT will have to contend against the Z1R/IE900 tag team, which is only fair in terms of price. I'll be sure to leave no stone unturned referencing the good, bad and ugly across dozens of tracks. A showdown this important will be my biggest one yet, and the one that crowns my ultimate IEM King.

(And don't worry, I'll slap a TL;DR right up front for all you BA-only and Aroma people 😅)

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #10,107 of 88,381
What is that? It looks like something my cat named while walking across my keyboard.
https://www.jaben.com.hk/products/madoo-typ711

It is a subbrand from Acoustune, I think. I remember someone mentioning this IEM a few days ago.

Tried it today. I don't want to go as far as saying that it is a W shaped Z1R (worse treble, IMO better mids), but the sound quality is outstanding for its price, IMO.
But then just like the Z1R it is unbelievably power hungry, and the fit is just disgusting because of the weird oval tube.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #10,108 of 88,381
Gauntlet thrown Sir! Remember it's not a straight fight - EXT will have to contend against the Z1R/IE900 tag team,

Well this is all relative to personal tastes & perceptions...but the mids were the deal breaker for me with both those IEMs. Not that they're not unquestionably two of the greatest IEMs out there right now.

It is a subbrand from Acoustune, I think. I remember someone mentioning this IEM a few days ago.

Tried it today. I don't want to go as far as saying that it is a W shaped Z1R (worse treble, IMO better mids), but the sound quality is outstanding for its price, IMO.
But then just like the Z1R it is unbelievably power hungry, and the fit is just disgusting because of the weird oval tube.

Interesting...I'm curious from the perspective of it being a planar but honestly all my misgivings with the Z1R...and every hybrid I've ever owned for that matter...are completely and absolutely mitigated in the EXT.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #10,109 of 88,381

Edit: It's here and oh snap it's another planar.
It's Hybrid 3 Planar + 2 BA, and a bit demanding...

It's me :) i shared 10 days ago or so when was called M001 (prototype name) here

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #10,110 of 88,381

There is a new product! M001
Or from a new brand born in 2020 - Madoo
Madoo is a sub-brand of Acoustune, or it can be said that it is an independent series that specializes in designing flat-panel headphones. Madoo's philosophy is to create products that will be very competitive for the next 10 years.

You thought it was OKAMOTO 001?It's actually MADOO M001

From the model point of view, M001 should be Madoo's first product. It directly adopts the ultra-luxury configuration of 3 flat panels + 2 moving irons. The 3 flat panel units are responsible for low frequency, medium frequency and high frequency respectively. TAs have been able to give A fairly balanced sound, but with the addition of two other moving iron units, it adds a full sense of warmth to the overall sound expression, and the hearing is delicate, smooth and not dry.

In my opinion, the design of the M001 is definitely "deviant". When I first took it apart, I thought that this earplug was embedded with a small watch, but the fact is that the surface of the M001 shell is made of sapphire crystal It is used to control the pressure on the back, while ensuring high rigidity that cannot be provided by glass or plastic materials. Made in Japan by Adamant Namiki Procision, a company that makes luxury watches and high-end audio accessories. Regardless of what this sapphire panel can bring to the sound quality, the mechanical and artistic appearance alone makes me deeply attracted by it, and I want to know more about the inside of this plug.

As soon as I opened the box, I couldn't wait to hear it. Since the M001 unit has 3 flat-panel units and 2 moving iron units, it is definitely not easy to push - Shanling M9 limited flagship arrangement!

When I first listened to the M001, it was really obvious that it had the shadow of the Acoustune family. The background was black, the lines were more obvious, and various faint details were clearly and unobtrusively presented to my ears. However, as I got to know the M001 more deeply, I found that the vocal performance of the M001 was actually a little warmer, which may have been caused by the change in the sound of the M001 for a period of time. Come to a classic old song of the post-90s - Xu Wei's "Once You", M001 can fully release the strong emotion that can't be dissolved in Xu Wei's throat. "You" that emotion seems quite real and quite strong. The high-frequency details are hidden in the main vocals, which are brighter but not eye-catching, which is a very comfortable tuning orientation.

In terms of sound, in general, M001 is neutral and the vocal part is warm. The quality is suitable for the positioning of 10,000 yuan, but it is more difficult to push. Only the flagship Walkman player can make TA stretch his muscles and bones.

This time, M001 is not only sincere in terms of sound, but also very kind in design and materials. The casing is designed by engineers from Switzerland and Japan who manufacture luxury watches, German cars and other metal processing tools. The shell is manufactured by high-precision CNC machining, and the surface is also perforated in order to have sufficient hardness on the surface of the shell. In order to obtain the best reliability and performance, the manufacturer has specially developed a unique housing architecture - MIAA: MADOO In-Acorstic Architecture, which allows each driver to be firmly fixed in place, and the sound is guided by acoustically engineered sound pipes. Through the supersonic design of the sound tube, through the filter and Boar for acoustic optimization, the sound can be more smooth and natural.

Although we can't understand what these technologies can bring, at least the M001 has excellent sound quality and is very comfortable to wear. There is no problem except that the upper ear is a little cold in winter, and the fit is very good. , The weight is not large, even if you listen for a long time, there is no discomfort.
In terms of accessories, M001 does not give too much but it is very solid, 1 leather storage bag, 3 pairs of silicone sleeves and 1 pair of sponge sleeves, 2 headphone cables, 1 silver 3.5mm single-ended cable and 1 black 4.4 The mm balance line is made of copper and silver plated, which can be said to be very conscientious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back