The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 4, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #9,392 of 88,285
Thank you Daniel!
Wich is your favorite?

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #9,394 of 88,285
(even though I don't drink whiskey!)
Can Admin please delete this post.
Lol, I thought about what you might say as soon as I decided to do it! 😝 Happened so quickly too. The sweetener is that I could replace EVO with both MDR and Z1R and kill two birds with one stone. That was a big motivator and it all went down at almost the same time. I'm just extremely relieved and lucky it all worked out like it did, as I was fully prepared to reverse the whole thing and re-buy EVO I'd it didn't work out.
Your situation reminded me of how i was in unconditional love with LX and then got kicked in a face when i realised that i like Mest MK2 tuning more and my self-proclaimed bassheadness got thrown into internal conflict lol.

How did you come up with the idea of buying Z1R in specificaly?

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #9,396 of 88,285
Just changed my M9 break in from internal music files to that Tara Labs break in cascade noise file that I copied to a micro SD memory chip. Very easy. Download file from Tara Labs to the downloads folder on your computer. Then transfer file to a small micro SD card. Remove music micro SD card from your DAP and insert Tara Labs file card. Update your music files on your DAP, then set DAP to continuous play and play Tara Labs file at least 0ne week. Don't forget to plug your DAP in for charging.
My second set of Timeless completes the burn in chain.

Thanks again David for the link to the Tara Labs file.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #9,397 of 88,285
I dunno I've yet to hear any BA treble that can match the treble on the Elysium, Traillii or IER Z1R. (There is lots I haven't heard though, mind you.)
Partial correction here: Z1R treble is primarily handled by Sony's proprietary magnesium coated BA driver, with the 4mm DD 'super tweeter' filling in utra high (upper-upper treble) frequencies. So it's a BA treble 'hybrid' of sorts, but a match for any estat I've heard, Traillii included.
Your situation reminded me of how i was in unconditional love with LX and then got kicked in a face when i realised that i like Mest MK2 tuning more and my self-proclaimed bassheadness got thrown into internal conflict lol.

How did you come up with the idea of buying Z1R in specificaly?
Ha, yes, I know all too well about the inner basshead conflict, and there are still some tracks I come across where I think 'dang, EVO would have blown me ears off with this one' (in a good way).

But just like IE 900 accounted for LX with a combination of better fit and a more naturally balanced sound with, imo, better (albeit not as elevated) bass, Z1R eclipses EVO with better quality from midbass up, better balance throughout, and a more natural yet beautifully cavernous soundstage. As it happens it also fits me better, and is the best built IEM I've ever used by some distance.

Now, I didn't know any of this before I bought the Z1R. It's been high up on my wishlist since the day I switched to IEMs, as was the MDR when I was still into full size cans. When I chanced upon an opportunity to reinvest the funds from the EVO sale to get both, I couldn't resist. Pure luck did the rest, both in terms of how good I discovered the Sonys to be, but moreso that with the two of them added to the IE 900 and XM4 (which I use as daily drivers), I feel I'm at journey's end - or at least journey's hiatus - with regards to IEMs and headphones.

I still hope to receive and review many new IEMs this year, and am very interested in continuing to refine my source selection, so that part of the journey and hobby continues and will be my focus in 2022.

I'll be very surprised if I come across an IEM that would make me reconsider any of my current dream team, because they all work so well together to cover all my bases, but I've been in the game too long to say never.

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #9,398 of 88,285
Partial correction here: Z1R treble is primarily handled by Sony's proprietary magnesium coated BA driver, with the 4mm DD 'super tweeter' filling in utra high (upper-upper treble) frequencies. So it's a BA treble 'hybrid' of sorts, but a match for any estat I've heard, Traillii included.

I would take Ely's or Trailli's treble in a pinch but it's really just splitting hairs at this level. What I would really love to see-- and I've been on record saying this since July 2019 when I first heard the Z1R-- is basically an IER Z1R with the BA removed and the DD doing the mids & lows with the super tweeter doing the highs. That would be a hell of a thing imho.

the inner basshead conflict

LMAO that's an audio-dictionary worthy term if ever there was one.

I'll be very surprised if I come across an IEM that would make me reconsider any of my current dream team

Famous last words in this hobby.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #9,399 of 88,285
I would take Ely's or Trailli's treble in a pinch but it's really just splitting hairs at this level. What I would really love to see-- and I've been on record saying this since July 2019 when I first heard the Z1R-- is basically an IER Z1R with the BA removed and the DD doing the mids & lows with the super tweeter doing the highs. That would be a hell of a thing imho.
The DD is already doing mids and lows. I'm not sure a DD super tweeter is ideal for full-range treble, though if any company can engineer something like that with the same or better quality than Z1R, it's Sony.
LMAO that's an audio-dictionary worthy term if ever there was one.
Not mine, credit @Skullar
Famous last words in this hobby.
Don't I know it. Let's see if my conviction (and discipline) holds.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #9,400 of 88,285
Traillii will finally be back in my possession tomorrow afternoon!!! #Goals :ksc75smile::hugging::metal:

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #9,402 of 88,285
I sold The Bird once and I will not make the same mistake. I’m set with the three monitors I have and will be happy here. Like @gLer I’m ready for a very extended break from the constant acquisition of gear. Time to focus on my true love….The Music!

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #9,403 of 88,285
The DD is already doing mids and lows

Did Sony ever officially say this? I thought there was some debate about it at one point.

In other news I'm currently in week 3 of my Zen Pro honeymoon and it still gets better with each passing day. One experience I think we can all relate to is that of our most cherished IEMs revealing themselves-- not all at once-- but day after day in waves & layers.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #9,404 of 88,285
I sold The Bird once and I will not make the same mistake. I’m set with the three monitors I have and will be happy here. Like @gLer I’m ready for a very extended break from the constant acquisition of gear. Time to focus on my true love….The Music!

Congrats, I'm sure it will feel great to be reunited with Traillii and no better IEM to my mind to absolutely focus on the music!

I'm actually thinking the same, I honestly couldn't be happier with the mix of IEMs I own - they tick every box for the genres I listen to. But curiosity still niggles away at me...

I would like a set of full size headphones and a few I'm considering. Slightly reluctant as I'm nervous of a new rabbit hole, I'd love to find one that I can reach for when the mood suits.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #9,405 of 88,285
Did Sony ever officially say this? I thought there was some debate about it at one point.

In other news I'm currently in week 3 of my Zen Pro honeymoon and it still gets better with each passing day. One experience I think we can all relate to is that of our most cherished IEMs revealing themselves-- not all at once-- but day after day in waves & layers.
z1rr.jpg

These are crossover points and slopes of the IER-Z1R to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back