The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #87,811 of 89,308
Sunday survey-- what is your hobby "Credo"? Which is to say, what are some of the guiding principles or notions you have arrived at or which help inform your journey through the audio landscape.

Here are a few of mine:

1) There is no one "right" way to embrace, approach or enjoy this hobby, and no one right way to appreciate and enjoy sound. What is ideal for one person may not at all work for someone else.

2) The listener, the act of listening, and that being listened to cannot be meaningfully divorced from one another. For this reason all measurements, no matter how elaborate and detailed, will only tell a small part of the story and there will never be a substitute for actually hearing something for yourself.

3) The human ear is the most perfect and only self-sufficient measurement rig there is. One should always listen to an IEM first and look at measurements second, lest the measurements skew your perception and expectation of the sound.

4) Target curves-- universal or personalized-- do not appeal to me. I can appreciate a wide variety of tunings, so long as they are well executed. Target curves tend to homogenize the listening experience and suck the life and soul out of it.

5) Most of what is important to me cannot be discerned from an FR curve.

6) While there are surely elements of both, good tuning is more of a art than a science. I am not interested in a tune-by-committee or algorithmic approach. I want to sense the inspiration and artfulness of the tuner.

7) I respect the rigidly science-based approach to this hobby...but it has never appealed to me personally.

8) The greater the degree one is able to follow their own passions and inclinations in this hobby and not get bogged down by the noise of other's opinions or the fog of hivemind and groupthink...the greater will be their own satisfaction in this hobby.

9) Everthing in the signal chain can affect sound in discernable ways-- often synergy is more important than any single factor. Key differences may not be apparent or jump out right away-- but will manifest and become apparent with repeated or extended listening. I can appreciate good BA bass in the short term, but in the long term something about it always triggers my OCD.

10) It takes a lot of time and experience to find out exactly what you like. Just as no two snowflakes are alike, it's reasonable to expect that no two people's tastes in audio will be exactly the same.

What are some of yours?
Have to learn some of these myself, still.

1. It's all about the music first. Support the artists directly. Without them, there is only a constant stream of soulless AI music. If you like that, I don't think we will connect.
2. Trust your own ears ultimately.
3. Don't get sucked into the marketing or the schience or FOMO. Businesses and influencers are not your friend.
4. Don't take the hobby too seriously. Wobbly air can sound good out of anything, if you want it to.
5. Use your passion to connect with other people. It's all worthless otherwise.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #87,812 of 89,308
I may be in the minority but I had the MScaler->TT2 combo for a long while as my desktop set up for headphones and it was very nice sounding but - and call me crazy - the sonics I am getting from the DC-Elite into my Trifectas is subjectively better. Better depth and layering, better soundstage, better detail. Looking back I don't think I'm a "Chord house sound" guy, although from all the reviews I kinda should be. I never found the sound precise enough, especially in bass layering and in terms of air from ultra-highs. I moved to a very nice R2R Dac - Rockna's top of the line - and a very nice tube amp - DNA Stratus - after that and it was immediately better, even in the metrics that Chord is supposed to excel at and certainly - despite all the hubbub to the contrary about R2R and tubes - more precise and revealing and coherent.

But the point of this post is to say that my evolution has been toward the smaller and less complex and less expensive and yet the sound quality I am getting is more satisfying and, to my metrics, better. Perhaps my anatomy is better suited to IEMs. Perhaps I like the ease of the dongle. Or perhaps the DC Elite->Lavinia->Trifecta combo is just perfect synergy for my ears. But I am blown away each and every time I listen, no matter the genre, and far more consistently than with the Chord stack and at far less size and cost than the R2R/Tube amp stack. Just my $.02 on a Sunday morning as my music continues to put a massive smile on my soul.

Then again, maybe I'm just old now and I can't hear crap and I'm just living in a happy muffled bubble.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
May I ask how the Lavinia enhances the Trifecta sound? 🙂

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #87,813 of 89,308
Sunday survey-- what is your hobby "Credo"? Which is to say, what are some of the guiding principles or notions you have arrived at or which help inform your journey through the audio landscape.
  • If it sounds good, it is good for you
  • It doesn't matter if other people dislikes what you love, it's the nature of humans to like different things
  • Try and have a good time to demo a set, something can be awesome the first hour and you find flaws later. I know this is not always easy.
  • Don't be afraid of selling what is unused
  • Look at hyped new sets with scepticism
  • No set is perfect, I rather have more sets than the special one

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #87,814 of 89,308

Here are a few of mine:

1) There is no one "right" way to embrace, approach or enjoy this hobby, and no one right way to appreciate and enjoy sound. What is ideal for one person may not at all work for someone else.

2) The listener, the act of listening, and that being listened to cannot be meaningfully divorced from one another. For this reason all measurements, no matter how elaborate and detailed, will only tell a small part of the story and there will never be a substitute for actually hearing something for yourself.

3) The human ear is the most perfect and only self-sufficient measurement rig there is. One should always listen to an IEM first and look at measurements second, lest the measurements skew your perception and expectation of the sound.

4) Target curves-- universal or personalized-- do not appeal to me. I can appreciate a wide variety of tunings, so long as they are well executed. Target curves tend to homogenize the listening experience and suck the life and soul out of it.

6) While there are surely elements of both, good tuning is more of a art than a science. I am not interested in a tune-by-committee or algorithmic approach. I want to sense the inspiration and artfulness of the tuner.

7) I respect the rigidly science-based approach to this hobby...but it has never appealed to me personally.

8) The greater the degree one is able to follow their own passions and inclinations in this hobby and not get bogged down by the noise of other's opinions or the fog of hivemind and groupthink...the greater will be their own satisfaction in this hobby.

9) Everthing in the signal chain can affect sound in discernable ways-- often synergy is more important than any single factor. Key differences may not be apparent or jump out right away-- but will manifest and become apparent with repeated or extended listening. I can appreciate good BA bass in the short term, but in the long term something about it always triggers my OCD.

10) It takes a lot of time and experience to find out exactly what you like. Just as no two snowflakes are alike, it's reasonable to expect that no two people's tastes in audio will be exactly the same.

What are some of yours?

1. Rely on what you hear
2. Respect opinions from others
3. Keep in mind that it's all about the music not the gear

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #87,815 of 89,308
  • If it sounds good, it is good for you
  • It doesn't matter if other people dislikes what you love, it's the nature of humans to like different things
  • Try and have a good time to demo a set, something can be awesome the first hour and you find flaws later. I know this is not always easy.
  • Don't be afraid of selling what is unused
  • Look at hyped new sets with scepticism
  • No set is perfect, I rather have more sets than the special one
I like the second bullet point a lot here 👌

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #87,816 of 89,308
Okay, the credo, good question and I'll keep it brief...

This is an inherently subjective hobby that no science can really explain because it's reliant on music, which as a high form of art is inherently subjective. So figure out what you like and refine your own taste.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #87,817 of 89,308

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?

Primarily, that #10.

This is a subjective hobby. One person's end game sound signature is not the same as another's.

Another would be it's okay to not like something and voice it (if you have to) but keep it about the equipment and why you don't like it vs going on a crusades like your opinion is factual. I think I've seen so many people attacking a tuning preference ("Harman again lol so boring"), a wave of anti-collab IEMs crusades, personal attacks and absolutely none of those discourses have ever been constructive.

And, lastly, a frequency chart using a random coupler (that's not even close to being a cutting edge industry equipment) is nowhere near the end all of a story of an IEM; there's so much more than what a chart can tell you. Use a chart to get an idea, sure, but nothing will ever tell you more about an IEM then listening with your own ears.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #87,818 of 89,308
Not very long experience here but few very valuable things I learned:

- Only way to know if I am going to enjoy my music more with new gear is to buy and listen for couple of weeks. Buy, listen, if music better, keep, otherwise sell.
- Be prepared to loose some money, see how much is that for you personaly and live with it (related to previous point). Think of it as a way of paying to get a calm mind about all the talks you read on forum about a certain product.
- Reading other people oppinion about gear is the most hypnotic and dangerous thing when buying producs (facebook and google are inocent children with their data stealing and ads serving business, don't have any strong power in making you buy something compared to when you read other people thoughts) but yeah I am still here lol

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #87,819 of 89,308
support your favorite artists more than just a stream. Buy their album, or buy their merch. It means a lot to them, and owning your music will make it mean more to you as well.

Bandcamp is especially awesome for artists or buying music or vinyl directly.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #87,820 of 89,308
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #87,821 of 89,308

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?

So many great points here that anyone new to the hobby would do well to consider when working out their own journey. I’ve been following this thread from the very beginning, and your writings on these points over the years has been a huge help for me to focus in on what matters most to me.

I’ve always been about the music first and foremost, the gear side of the hobby is but a means to an end. I always ask myself “Does this piece of gear improve my enjoyment of my favourite music? If so how much, and in what tangible ways?” Then, it’s just a matter of whether spending on said gadget to own that experience is “worth it”. Exactly what sort of improvement and how much $$$ will vary widely for all of us, but those basic economics are universal.

Okay, the credo, good question and I'll keep it brief...

This is an inherently subjective hobby that no science can really explain because it's reliant on music, which as a high form of art is inherently subjective. So figure out what you like and refine your own taste.
💯 And this is why I utterly fail to wrap my head around the “objectivist” approach to the hobby.

Unless of course it’s AI making music for robots to listen to. 🤖

Dammit! Now I have to get a pair! 🤣 Wait, I'm not being pranked am I? :thinking:
Not at all! I’m continually surprised with just how good Trio is, for 40 bucks it’s really hard to go wrong.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #87,822 of 89,308

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
1. No DD, no dice.
2. If it sounds good, it is good. But...
3. ...refer to #1

Honourable mention:

4. Everything matters. Not just sound. Which leads to...

Postscript:

5. Took me a while to realise it, but this is ultimately a gear hobby. You can just as easily love and enjoy music without the gear, but then you're not in the hobby. And while the general idea is that we're in the hobby to find the best possible way to listen to the music we love, the pursuit is ultimately about the gear itself.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #87,823 of 89,308
No set is perfect, I rather have more sets than the special one
Even if a set is perfect, you would get bored of it. I learned it the hard way.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #87,824 of 89,308
Even if a set is perfect, you would get bored of it. I learned it the hard way.
There is nothing more boring than perfection. Ask @drftr about it. He is so perfect, he's constantly bored.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #87,825 of 89,308

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
I like everything above.

For my persoanl additionss:

Transducers are the most important part of the chain

Amps: prefer discrete to op amps, but there are exceptions.

Make sure your amp has the right impedence curve and power for your transducer

DACs beyond a certain level of competency are usually about very subtle differences

The nature of expressioning sensations in language combined with audiophilia means that people are making huge distinctions about very subtle differences that I often don't care about as much as they do unless they are talking about transducers. Then I care a lot.

Almost every time I feel the urge to upgrade, I should start with my trtansducers ( ie headphones/iems/speakers).

Listen to music not gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back