The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #86,837 of 89,378
I have all of these except this Trio. I have it coming for curiosity sake, and @Neweymatt's impressions above intrigue me. I will reserve judgment, but I'm fairly certain things will go as @Rockwell75 has predicted. He's usually right about this stuff.

Edit: and I will be shocked if it exceeds either Serial or Quattro.
Let's hope there is a big surprise, though my intuition tells me it is highly unlikely.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #86,839 of 89,378
Normal is over "Rated" :L3000::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Sigourney Weaver.png

Me and Sigourney :wink:

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #86,840 of 89,378
*blinks* For some reason I lumped e-stats in the BA basket. Blame that 3 hour baby brain sleep. #facepalm
And I'm listening to Trailii out of a Hugo 2 as I type this.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.34.29 PM.png

Eastern preference showing despite being down under. Kids love this stuff. Slather it on anything and they'll eat it.
My two year old keeps on dipping her finger in it and says “it’s good!” Then proceeds to try and drink from the bottle 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #86,842 of 89,378
In terms of TOTL, I find this the least bright set. I think it's neutral to warm, but I'm listening thru r2r with tubes.
Yeah I’m not crazy about tubes. They displace a lot of heat and I’m not motivated by the presentation so to speak.

Also has anyone heard these IEMs at CJ Singapore?https://www.rossiandwing.com/home/firstlight2024

Apparently it was at the Zeppelin table but I didn’t see it there. Was looking forward to hearing them!

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #86,843 of 89,378
Anyone have any comparisons of the AK se300 vs Rs8? Down to these two. I’ll be running the Rn6 and possibly the Xe6 down the line.

You could use Twister :cloud_tornado: as a starting point and includes a brief comparison to RS8:
https://twister6.com/2023/05/17/astell-kern-ak-se300/

While they both share R2R's smooth natural tonality, there are differences in soundstage, bass rendition, etc. Both FiRs sound great on both. There are more notable differences when you get into the details – closed custom Android (SE300) vs open Android (RS8), UI speed, filters, battery life etc.

Being inquisitive, I picked up SE300 to give it a go. Let's say it was a 8hr catch-n-release. UI speed was poor for today's standard, battery life average compared to 12-14 hrs for RS8. HiBy's Darwin plugins and filters are extensible and updates available across their DAPs.

IMG_1136.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #86,844 of 89,378
You could use Twister :cloud_tornado: as a starting point and includes a brief comparison to RS8:
https://twister6.com/2023/05/17/astell-kern-ak-se300/

While they both share R2R's smooth natural tonality, there are differences in soundstage, bass rendition, etc. Both FiRs sound great on both. There are more notable differences when you get into the details – closed custom Android (SE300) vs open Android (RS8), UI speed, filters, battery life etc.

Being inquisitive, I picked up SE300 to give it a go. Let's say it was a 8hr catch-n-release. UI speed was poor for today's standard, battery life average compared to 12-14 hrs for RS8. HiBy's Darwin plugins and filters are extensible and updates available across their DAPs.

Yea, I saw that review. Thanks for your thoughts! Getting closer… lol

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #86,845 of 89,378
If you are in Europe, get RS 8 from scubadevil before it gets scubed again

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #86,847 of 89,378
In terms of TOTL, I find this the least bright set. I think it's neutral to warm, but I'm listening thru r2r with tubes.
Glad you came to the same realization as me after matching it with R2R + tubes! It's ability to draw out microdynamics really does help it feel like a headphone. Truly a coherent, sublime experience. Valentin (OG retailer for Rhapsodio) always told me Supreme 2 truly sang with a powerful tube source, however I did not have the ability to test it out myself at that time.

But after hearing what it does for the more revealing Supreme 3, I am now firmly in the camp that technically-proficient sources that are natural and analogue-sounding can have some magical synergy to really bring Sup 3 together into a unique and special IEM that not many---if any---can really match.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #86,849 of 89,378
For someone who prefers warm and punchy tuning over something neutral and analytical, what would you guys recommend between the trifecta and the Xenon 6?
They are both top of the game for that description. Depends where you want your warmth and your punch. I feel ike XE6 punches more toward lower mids/upper-bass while Trifecta is more even moving from sub-bass to lower mids... Treble presentation is different from memory. I found XE6 treble more incisive but it went over the line for me at times. I find Trfiecta smoother up top but I sometimes miss a little sharper edge there... For me, Trifecta presents a more cohesive wall of music, a wide sonic net, while XE6 is more peaky in places... Hope that helps...

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #86,850 of 89,378
Thanks that does help. Still a tough choice, though the XE6 are more expensive. I do think I’d potentially miss the feeling of the tactile sounds of cymbals if the trifecta is suppose to be smoother up top. On the other hand the trifecta sounds like it’s more colored than the XE6 which I think I’d like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back