The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #83,491 of 88,668
Canjam for me mostly highlighted the feeling of being alone in a crowded room. Glad other people had a good time though. Useful demoing stuff, but I'll probably be off head fi/this thread and out of the hobby for the foreseeable future. It's been fun.
Next time introduced yourself! Love meeting people in the hobby :) you’re never alone my friend just gotta say hello if you recognize someone

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #83,492 of 88,668
Canjam for me mostly highlighted the feeling of being alone in a crowded room. Glad other people had a good time though. Useful demoing stuff, but I'll probably be off head fi/this thread and out of the hobby for the foreseeable future. It's been fun.
A lot of people feel like that in a crowded room, you’re not alone.

If music and this hobby is something that brings joy to you, keep coming on here and reach out. We’re all here for each other in one way or another, whatever that maybe to each member.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #83,493 of 88,668
I felt the same in Singapore and walked 20 rounds without knowing what to do. It was meeting the Cooler crew that made it worthwhile, and then some. Going forward I will just use the official show as an excuse, but I will be going there for meeting old and new friends.

drftr
Will you be going to next Singapore Canjam?

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #83,498 of 88,668
I
I had a similar feeling at this, my first, CanJam, but in retrospect I realize that I was too diffident, particularly with Rockwell - whose presence, (and voice!) - kinda overwhelmed me. Was great to meet him though, and to fit the man to the on-line legend. Meeting Chang from Nightjar was also a major highlight. He’s been wonderful to deal with online as a customer, and it was a thrill to finally meet him. He immediately made me feel welcome and at home in a scene that I found somewhat daunting.

I only listened to 10 or so IEM’s before things started to blur together, but the two that impressed me the most were Nightjar’s Duality prototype and Flipear’s Artha (Thankyou Sanji, BonGoBiLai and others I’m probably forgetting for touting it). The Artha cured me of my anti-BA bias, and excelled at conveying the excitement and tension you feel while listening to good live music.

I’m already in over my financial head, and was glad to realize that I enjoy my current equipment enough so that I don’t have to jump again at something new (at least right away).

Good experience. Will have to come back next year and conquer that social anxiety.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #83,499 of 88,668
The best way to get to know other coolers is to sit at Musicteck table, and soon you will see some familiar faces or people with cooler tags. Last year due to my schedule, I only had 2 hours to spend at SoCal CanJam even I bought two-day ticket long time ago. However, I still met @Rockwell75, and saw a few other coolers. It's a pity that you did not meet other fellows.

I also read one headfier who posted that he would bring a Mojo2 to give away for free for whoever say hi to him the first. But turned out that nobody recognized him even if he described himself ahead of time. The Mojo2 was still with him.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #83,500 of 88,668
I'll be skipping this year in favour of CJ London and the über-awesome Cooler meetup in A'dam.

drftr
Count me in if y’all can !

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #83,501 of 88,668
That is crazy talk...

And please don't tell me you've never been to Amsterdam either! :wink:

drftr
I've got relative, friends all over the world, but except Singapore I've never been anywhere else.

I've got first cousin in Holland, London that I've yet to meet in person!

Let see if July is feasible, got to use my annual leave eventually.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #83,502 of 88,668
I was interested in having Project M since it has good treble as my travel IEM but might look into Pilgrim instead. Is the Pilgrim better than Gaea in other ways aside from the bass? (Things such as treble, mids, resolution, dynamics, etc.) Thanks!

The main thing for me is Pilgrim has better tonal balance-- reigned in upper mids and more meat on the mid-bass/lower mids. I found the midrange, especially vocals, superb. Some will likely have an issue with bass quantity but I don't listen to Elysian IEMs for bass and it's nice to see an improvement in bass quality.

My biggest takeaways are probably the question whether Campfire Trifecta is a revelation or a gimmick, and that there is almost certainly a Susvara in my future.

Definitely a revelation :D. But of course I'm biased...

I've read about fit issues but never really understood how a short nozzle is all that terrible. I could see that it might not fit certain eartips well and that you have less length to try and jam all the way into your ear, if it's a security issue.

Fit did the Singularity in for me. Too short means trouble getting a seal which means I'm constantly fidgeting with the IEMs to maintain it...a proper pain in the a$$ if you're out and about moving your head this way and that.

I had a similar feeling at this, my first, CanJam, but in retrospect I realize that I was too diffident, particularly with Rockwell - whose presence, (and voice!) - kinda overwhelmed me. Was great to meet him though, and to fit the man to the on-line legend.

I apoligize lol sometimes in my excitement at shows like this can get the better of me...and the energy of Times Square New York can be quie overwhleming in itself for a rural BC boy like me. It was nice to connect, even if brief.

Meeting Chang from Nightjar was also a major highlight. He’s been wonderful to deal with online as a customer, and it was a thrill to finally meet him. He immediately made me feel welcome and at home in a scene that I found somewhat daunting.

Indeed @Chang is wonderful and one of the most thoughtful, knowledgeable and pleasant people to interact with.

The best way to get to know other coolers is to sit at Musicteck table, and soon you will see some familiar faces or people with cooler tags.

Yes this pretty much. If people are under the impression that it's some exclusive club runnng around doing things together, this is false. Apart from a big dinner with 12 of us, which was planned months in advance by a few of us who know each other very well, everything was very impromptu and everyone just kind of did their own thing, intersecting here and there. I actually took it quite easy this year, spending a good deal of time waiting in line for Pizza at Joes or chilling at the Musicteck booth with my man @RTodd

I also read one headfier who posted that he would bring a Mojo2 to give away for free for whoever say hi to him the first. But turned out that nobody recognized him even if he described himself ahead of time. The Mojo2 was still with him.

@trbo996 gave me the Mojo2 and instructed me to somehow arrange it be transfered to someone. He expressed a desire that it go to someone new to this game. I talked to @Smirk 24 who said he knew just the person and we passed on the Mojo 2 to him.

Last picture I'll share of today-- soaking up the rays in Todd-land.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 10.24.00.jpeg

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #83,503 of 88,668
This was my first CanJam and I went alone. At first, it felt a bit strange and overwhelming, but I quickly adapted to the environment. Most vendors/exhibitors were very chill, glad to help and chat. Not everyone in the crowd were chatty, but that's to be expected with so many random strangers. Some people were very friendly though and down to talk.

The only odd feeling I got at CJ is when I'm jamming out to music with the incredible IEMs there, wanting to talk to others around me, but couldn't because I'm too preoccupied with the audition and can't hear the convos happening around me. So I just awkwardly shook my head and smiled, or looked around the room, trying not to make eye contact with people while I'm busy testing.

And of course the sad feeling that I'll most likely never obtain majority of the expensive gear at CJ because the pricing for the best of the best is way too crazy, reserved for retired folks or rich audiophiles. However, it was a great experience overall, to be able to hear, see, and touch the best audiophile gear in the world, all in 1 place. It helped me narrow down options for my first really expensive CIEM. Will definitely be going back to CJ NYC next year, more prepared for a better experience.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #83,504 of 88,668
The main thing for me is Pilgrim has better tonal balance-- reigned in upper mids and more meat on the mid-bass/lower mids. I found the midrange, especially vocals, superb. Some will likely have an issue with bass quantity but I don't listen to Elysian IEMs for bass and it's nice to see an improvement in bass quality.

Definitely a revelation :D. But of course I'm biased...

Fit did the Singularity in for me. Too short means trouble getting a seal which means I'm constantly fidgeting with the IEMs to maintain it...a proper pain in the a$$ if you're out and about moving your head this way and that.

I apoligize lol sometimes in my excitement at shows like this can get the better of me...and the energy of Times Square New York can be quie overwhleming in itself for a rural BC boy like me. It was nice to connect, even if brief.

Indeed @Chang is wonderful and one of the most thoughtful, knowledgeable and pleasant people to interact with.

Yes this pretty much. If people are under the impression that it's some exclusive club runnng around doing things together, this is false. Apart from a big dinner with 12 of us, which was planned months in advance by a few of us who know each other very well, everything was very impromptu and everyone just kind of did their own thing, intersecting here and there. I actually took it quite easy this year, spending a good deal of time waiting in line for Pizza at Joes or chilling at the Musicteck booth with my man @RTodd

@trbo996 gave me the Mojo2 and instructed me to somehow arrange it be transfered to someone. He expressed a desire that it go to someone new to this game. I talked to @Smirk 24 who said he knew just the person and we passed on the Mojo 2 to him.

Last picture I'll share of today-- soaking up the rays in Todd-land.

Ohhhh I sat next to most of you for long periods of time but sadly, didn't interact too much with y'all. :disappointed:

Maybe next year I'll talk to more people and be less focused on auditioning. I was too greedy this CJ, like a kid in a candy store. :smile:

@bigbeans was the first head-fier I sat next to all of CJ and he was very friendly and nice. Even asked for my head-fi name. He was ballin', carrying around his epic Sony Z1 and let some people use it at the MusicTeck desk early Saturday morning. I thought it was brought there by MusicTeck / Unique Melody people, but was surprised to see him pack it up to leave lol.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #83,505 of 88,668
Thank you, and it was nice to meet you Rockwell, but you shouldn’t apologize. I was the one who was acting a bit weird. It’s funny because I pride myself, like most New Yorkers, on being chill around celebrities - and I have been in the past. Hope to see you again at a future CanJam, and thanks for running this wonderful and addictive forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back